Author Topic: Some probs with fiebings oil dye...  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Ray

• Active citizen
  • haste makes waste
    • LAW 'N' LEATHER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Some probs with fiebings oil dye...
« on: November 23, 2016, 02:35:30 AM »
Howdy, the last few month i have some heavy problems using fiebings oil dye. When it get`s dry It hardens so much that the surface of the leather is cracking when getting bend. I haven´t had this the last years. Same veg. tanned leather as always. Now I am trying to use oil on it but it does not really work. Anyone an idea? Best regards Ray  :-\
lawyer by profession - leather by passion

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Some probs with fiebings oil dye...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:19:12 AM »
I have had the same issue.   I ended up getting the eco-flo dyes.   They have worked well for me.  It takes a bit of practice to avoid streaks.   I gave up the fieblings because it totally ruined two pieces that had taken a lot of time to do.   Basically I wiped it on and off, came back a half hour later and the pieces looked like bad Cuir Boille.  Hard, cracked and not a bit of flexibility.   Used oils on the pieces and the are still hard, cracked and not a bit of flexibility.  That was fieblings brown.  I had bought a bottle of black at the same time, tried it on a test piece and got the same bad results.  (I am just wiping dye on with wool dauber, then wiping off excess with cotton and buffing slightly.  Then I let the piece dry.)   tossed the bottles and bought the eco-flo water based dyes.  No such problem since.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:31:11 AM »
Never used fiebling dye on leather. I use the alcohol base dark brown to stain rifle stocks. Works great.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:49:24 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »
I've also had good luck with Lincoln alcohol-based dyes. They seem to work well and don't clog up an airbrush as badly as Fiebings dyes do.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »
Never have used the oil-based Fiebings dyes; just the alcohol-based ones.  After the alcohol-based dyes dry, I apply a light application of Fiebing's Bag-Kote. Never have a problem.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
I feel the quality of the hide has a lot to do with how the dye works into the leather, for me I have my best results using home made dyes, they just work better for me, alcohol or oil based dyes have always been hit and miss, never did care for them, and the rub off has always been a problem, it takes a lot of buffing and the a good coat of Bag Kote or Tan Kote to seal the color in, with natural dyes a little Skidmore Leather Cream as a finish and I'm good to go.IMHO....for what's worth.... ::)

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »
I feel the quality of the hide has a lot to do with how the dye works into the leather, for me I have my best results using home made dyes, they just work better for me, alcohol or oil based dyes have always been hit and miss, never did care for them, and the rub off has always been a problem, it takes a lot of buffing and the a good coat of Bag Kote or Tan Kote to seal the color in, with natural dyes a little Skidmore Leather Cream as a finish and I'm good to go.IMHO....for what's worth..
This is exactly what I have experienced.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Ray

• Active citizen
  • haste makes waste
    • LAW 'N' LEATHER
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 01:37:28 AM »
Howdy, thanks a lot guys! Good to see some of you know the problem as well. Perhaps the tanner have changed something in the formula, I did not had these problems in the past. With natural color I also had some problems, too. For example the black iron acid made the leather also "cracky" when bending it. The "Rust tank" also works very well. So I think I will test some other ones than fiebings :-)
lawyer by profession - leather by passion

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
I have seen that off and on as well.

Some hides have a waxy substance on the surface that is a bit hard to get through.

Dye Prep will let it soak in rather than sit on the surface.   Saturate the surface with the Dye Prep and then apply dye while it is still wet.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
I've used Fiebings oil dye for many years, but I never use it straight out of the bottle.  I mix it with my oil (olive oil) and warm it in an old crock pot.  I add the oil dye to the olive oil until I get the color I want.  I generally use two or three different colors of oil dye, each in the amount necessary to give me the color I'm looking for.  Same thing can be done in much smaller amounts, with a pot on the stove. DO NOT GET IT TOO HOT!!!  Warm and mix it well with a wooden spoon.  Takes a little practice, but has worked fine for me over the past 38 years.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
What Buck said but I use pure neatsfoot oil and a combination of certain parts of the different color dyes to get my colors.

I used to have a bunch of different colors and shades mixed up but I really only use one recipe much nowadays since I'm mostly using skirting leather and the natural leather pieces are usually done with homemade walnut stain.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »
I've had some good results using aniline dyes...specifically WD Lockwood dyes like Honduras Red Mahogany.

I mix up at 4-5 teaspoons in a quart mason jar and apply with a foam paint brush.

Works well, the dye stays put (little rub off) and once it dries, it oils up nice....
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
I've used Fiebing's oil based dye for 30 years or more and I have experienced leather cracking problems in the past. But I have determined that most of the time it is because of the leather quality.I also thoroughly strip and clean the leather prior to dying.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com