Author Topic: Loading black powder .50-70 cartridges  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Loading black powder .50-70 cartridges
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
Gentlemen,  Do any of you that load black powder for .45-70 or .50-70 rounds use a grease cookie or any sort of wad under the bullet? 
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Loading black powder .50-70 cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
Niederlander, I load 45-70 in my 74 Sharps with a 500 gr bullet and my trapdoor carbine with a 405 gr bullet and with Olde Eynesford 2 f have found no need for a grease cookie or wad. It's really a clean burning black powder. I have also started loading for a 63 sharps carbine in 50-70 but haven't run enough rounds through it yet to really be able to give you an honest answer but in my experience I really doubt that I'll have to use a grease cookie for this gun either.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
Dale, I just went and disassembled one of my skirmish loads to reinforce my memory. I loaded 55 grains of Old Enysford FF with a .060" overpowder cardboard wad and a lubricated felt "wonderwad" over that. Loaded to COL of 2.55" with a 405 grain bullet gave some powder compression, and seemed to shoot really clean! I know Quickfire has been working on some .50-70 loads.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:45:05 PM »

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:53:23 PM »
That's why they call him "Quickfire"!  He hit the post button before me!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »
I've been loading 50-70 for my Shiloh carbine and Military Rifle for years using Mike Venturino's recipe.

Lyman 515141 (sized .510) over 65 grs of FFg. No wad. No compression other than from the bullet. Venturino said that when he first started loading 50-70, he had no .50 wads on hand, so he didn't use any. Results indicated they were unnecessary.

For a little less recoil I use the same powder charge with a 375 gr Rapine bullet.

With the Lyman bullet in the carbine, I hit 28 oz. tomato cans at 100m off hand. The same load in the MR has dropped two 400+ lb black bears and a 6 pt Mule Deer.

I suggest a read of Croft Barker's book on reloading the 50-70. He covers all the bases.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:54:43 AM »
Wow, it's an amazing year-the Cubs win the world series, and now Neiderlander's gonna load black powder?

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »
Dale, I will say this. Let your guns determine if you need to use more lube. I've found over the years that some do and some don't, depending on bore condition, twist, etc...

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
The bores on the two I'll be using are both pretty good, so I'll try without the wad first.  Should be interesting.  Do you guys use a drop tube for powder?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »
I use a drop tube for anything that I load for precision or long range. Don't use it for any main match stuff.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:37:19 PM »
Ditto ....
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »
I use F-1/2 g in my .C, Sharps 50-140 with no grease cookie and 650 grain  bullet.It's very accurate. I don't win but am an octogenarian. Do well at the 300 but my eyesight sucks..
:-)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
You're a better man than I, Ghunga Dhin!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com