Author Topic: Swivel knives  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Johnny Dollar

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Swivel knives
« on: October 28, 2016, 04:58:42 PM »
So after many years I've decided to treat myself to a new swivel knife.  I'm still using the one my Dad used when he was in the Navy just after WWII.    Still nothing wrong with it.  ;D

I'd just like to get a nicer one and retire it. So I've been looking at the typical places... Tandy etc.  But I see lots of barrels. Steel, stainless, brass.  So I suppose my question is one type better than the other?  Which ones are you guys using?   I'll say that my leather work is strictly a hobby mostly for me and some family. So its not a job like some.  That being said, I still would like to get a quality knife.

Thanks much for your time!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Swivel knives
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:06:32 AM »
There's nothing better than a good swivel knife. I've had good ones and bad ones. They make a difference in the quality and ease of your tooling. We have a thread just on swivel knives in the FAQ thread. Here's a link to it. About Swivel Knives

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
Like Will said our FAQ thread is full of great info you can use now and as you go along...

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:39:18 PM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
It took me a while to find where you can get a good quality one at a fairly reasonable price. I have two of the Barry King ones. One 3/8" diameter and one 1/2" diameter. I use the 1/2" one with a 1/2" straight blade for most tooling and the 3/8" one with a 1/4" angled blade for tight curves and small detail work. Here's a link to them Barry King Swivel Knives.

My hands are about average in size but if you have big hands, you may prefer a larger one than 1/2".

If I had to use just one, I'd choose the 1/2" with a 1/2" straight blade. You can always buy a second blade and switch them when you do the details. That's what I did for years.

Offline Johnny Dollar

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
Thanks so much! Marshal, I looked at Barry Kings web site..  great knives.   Also, sorry about not checking the FAQ first.  Great info there!

Thanks again!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 11:51:43 PM »
Glad to help, Johnny. When you get one, show us what you do with it.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com