Author Topic: Uniform Regulations for 1870  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Uniform Regulations for 1870
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
Were the uniform regulations for the US army in 1870 the ones that were adapted in 1858?

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Uniform Regulations for 1870
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
I believe they would have been.  That was sort of a transitional period, so lots of changes occurring. (By changes, I mean mostly due to the adoption of cartridge weapons and methods of carrying ammunition for them.)  A good resource is Doug McChristian's "The U.S. Army in the West 1870-1880".  Both the text and photos are outstanding!

Sent you a personal message, by the way.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
Yes.  Though a few minor updates were promulgated here and there, the first significant revision to the 1858 regulations took place in 1872.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:10:43 PM »

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Drydock Sir!  That "promulgated" is one mighty fine word! If I couldn't half ass figure it out from context, I wouldn't know WTF it meant.

No disrespect intended. only jocularity!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »
Ira, that's the kind of edjumacated talk the Colonel uses to distinguish himself from the lowly enlisted men....

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »
"Promulgated" is when you register at the doorway to the Senior Prom.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
Any one know where I can find a copy of the 58 Regs? I used two search engines and came up blank. Also according to Doug McChristian the cavalry in the late 60's and into the early 70's were mostly issued carbine cartridge boxes for the Spencer Carbine. Do any of you know where I can find a pic of them?

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »
Quickfire...I have a pattern for the 1841 and 1859 cartridge boxes.  It looks to be a challenge to make as the front back and sides are stitched at 90 degrees from one another, so the stitches are at an angle to go through the edge....much like the plains hard sole mocs.   

If you want it, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward it to you.  It is in PDF (Adobe) format.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the offer GT, but I don't think that those are the one's that I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure that there was a 63 pattern box, but I'm not sure that's the one I'm looking for either. I'll keep researching and see what I can come up with.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 12:59:52 AM »
Go on e-bay and search carbine cartridge box.  They have boxes AND the books to show you anything you want to know about them.

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 05:54:59 AM »
Thanks Ned. I've searched the boxes but don't know which one to get. Now I'll try the books.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:32 AM »
Well a quick search for a book turned up one by Stephen Dorsey titled "Indian war cartridge pouches, boxes, and carbine boots". I'm going to order this one along with a couple of other books I found. Thanks Ned.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »
I have his book on waist belts. It's a pretty good reference.

Here are some links to a few repro cartridge boxes:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L19
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L38
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L7

I can't speak to their quality, but it gives you something to look at.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »
From what I can tell from doing some limited research, the U.S. carbine cartridge box from the 1858 regulations was used for any of the  .54 caliber carbines, and later for the metallic cartridge carbines as well.  You should be good to go with any of the standard boxes from the sutlers on line.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »
Burnside came up with a carbine box design  that used a wooden block inset to hold 20 cartridges for Cavalry. It was used throughout the ACW and into the early IW.
Early variations were warn on the waist belt, and later variations could be warn on a shoulder strap with buckles on the bottom of the box, or waist belt.
I don't know when the tin inserts came into play. The tin inserts don't seem to be real common from my experience.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
The tin inserts were originally to protect the paper cartridges. They were often "lost"
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. Appreciate it.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
The 1858 Regulations are he same as the 1861. There are a few minor changes from 1861-1870 but they only big one is that in late 1861 they went back to the sky blue trousers. A couple new ranks were added after the civil war and neck stocks officially abandoned in 1870.

https://archive.org/details/regulationsforununit

As for Spencer cartridge boxes there were three types used and all are know in the post civil war era. One is the standard "1857" cartridge box with the wood block holding individual rounds. There are variations but its pretty standard and was the most common. There was another that looked alot like the 1841 box that held 6 7 round pasteboard boxes of Spencer ammo. Nick Duvall made some at one time and will do so with a bulk order. There is also the famous Blakeslee box made in 6, 10, and 13 tube versions. The 6 tube is uncommon but the one usually reproduced for its simplicity (rectangle form), the 10 tube (hexagon form) was the most common during and after the war. The 13 tube was a rare infantry version.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
Thanks for the info FTrooper.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com