Author Topic: Uberti NWMP Carbine -- First Impressions  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Uberti NWMP Carbine -- First Impressions
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:34:09 PM »
I recently purchased a Uberti NWMP 1876 carbine in .45-75.  I’ll have to say that the look of the carbines had to grow on me; when I first saw them, I didn’t think that they were that attractive.  The more I looked over the past few years, though, the more I liked the unique look.  I chose the NWMP version primarily because of the blued finish.  I have a number of case-hardened Ubertis and I wanted something a bit different.  I also appreciate the history of the NWMP guns, but the choice was not for the “NWMP” on the stock, but for that blued receiver.  I chose the caliber for several reasons: it matched the original NWMP guns, it was a favorite of TR, it was the original chambering, it would provide interesting handloading and it just looks cool.

Elsewhere, I wrote about my adventures in slugging the barrel and the sickening feeling that I might have seriously damaged my gun on the day I brought it home.  I’m trying to forget those few hours last Saturday.

The action cycles smoothly and had no issues with the first 20 rounds that I’ve fired.  I think it could use a little smoothing, but overall, it is better than I expected.  The “fit and finish” are also particularly good on this gun.  I was pleasantly surprised that the caliber is engraved on the bottom of the carrier block.  Does anyone know if that is something that Uberti is doing on the newer guns?  The gun is also drilled and tapped for a tang sight, with a filler screw in place.

When I had the gun apart, I noticed a couple of things that I didn’t expect.  The lever safety spring is a coil spring, rather than the flat spring I expected.

There is also a spacer under the mainspring.  It appears that the tension/strain screw only keeps the spacer in place.  The spacer is a short piece of tubing that goes over the tension screw.  With the tubing spacer removed, the screw does not keep enough tension on the mainspring to allow it to function.  I imagine that, if someone wanted to lighten the mainspring tension, he could file down the tubing until the proper tension was achieved.  Of course to increase tension, it would involve making a longer spacer or installing a longer tension screw.

Again, are those features common in Uberti 1876’s?  Are they incorporated into their newer ‘73’s as well?

Anyway, I’m waiting for the proper mold for this rifle, but I’ll have to say that I’m impressed so far.  It looks a lot different than my other guns, which makes it a joy to look at.  I’ll have to wait for the mold before I can really see how it shoots, but I’m hopeful.

Lastly, I must put in a good word for Oklahoma Tom (Bryan Buck) from 3B Shooting Supply.  He really took care of me with ordering this gun.  He’s great to work with and I highly recommend him.  He’s handled a couple of transactions for me and he has always provided excellent communication and service.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti NWMP Carbine -- First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »
The gun is a pretty standard one, but in case anyone wanted to see an overall picture, here it is.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:16:40 AM »
Hey Griff,
That is a really nice looking rifle.  I won't rub in how much better it looks without a stick stuck down the bore ........

NO.  The Uberti Trigger Block safety is not the same as that used on Original Sample Examples.  The Uberti safety is nothing more than a copy of the Trigger Block on their '73.  It would however, appear they may have learned about truck springs on the lever safety, although that coil spring looks a tad thick (heavy).

Ah, that is one STRANGE Main Spring arrangement.  The original Winchester Main Spring for the '76 was ENORMOUS (and very thick too).  The spring was contoured to the lower tang on Deluxe rifles and straight on straight grip guns (oh Duh).  It would appear, even in the age of improved metallurgy, Uberti copied the Main Spring Lug from an Original.  The gap for the spring is about three times what it should be for a modern spring.  So ....... you wind up with that "Rube Goldberg" set up for the Main Spring in your rifle.  I'd find a way to fix that for a more ........ efficient manner or retaining and adjusting the Main Spring (perhaps torsion bars with unequal length A arms  ::))  Essentially you have no simple method to adjust Main Spring Whackada.  I are underwhelmed.  How heavy are the lever side springs??

Coffinmaker 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:48:51 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »
Thanks, Coffinmaker.  I'd say that the lever/carrier springs are about comparable with other Uberti rifles I have (Henry, '66, '73).  I'll need to do something about that, although backing out the tension screws has helped there.  I'm planning to use the gun for a while to let it break in  and show wear spots, then do a little more smoothing and adjust the various springs.  Obviously I'm not trying to turn this one into a "race gun", but minimizing wear and smoothing things out is a good thing.  By the way, I haven't measured the trigger pull, but the weight is about where I'd want it on a large rifle and it's crisp too.  Overall, I'm really pleased with the gun.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »
Hey Griff,

Most Excellent.  I personally think trying to turn a '76 into a "race gun" kinda OxyMoron.  Thing weighs a TON and cannot be used except in Long Range Matches where speed is not a player.

My main concern with reducing the OEM Uberti springs is WEAR.  The springs are way too heavy and will cause a group of wear in short order.  The other consideration is "user friendliness."  Guns are much more fun to play with when you don't have to fight with your equipment.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com