Author Topic: What is typical New Vaquero Cyl throat diameter?  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Weewahootee Vigilence Committee, FL
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is typical New Vaquero Cyl throat diameter?
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
Have no measurement tools here.  Anyone mic their cyl throats?  Thinking 'bout trying .451"+ balls.  Thanks.
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: What is typical New Vaquero Cyl throat diameter?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »
I am about to "Make Your Day."  There is NO typical throat dimension for Rugers.  Over the 20 years I hung out a shingle and the 16 or
17 years I was dedicated to CAS guns, I can count on ONE hand the number of Ruger Cylinders that were correct.  So ......

Your first step is pull the cylinder (after you unload it) and clamp the frame in a padded vice.  Slug the bore by applying a ling spritz of
oil to the barrel.  Then with either a brass range rod, or hardwood dowel, drive a soft lead bullet thru the bore.  You may have to start the bullet with a leather mallet or brass hammer.  Then determine your bore diameter with a Mic.

The diameter of the projectile should be at least .005 larger than the bore diameter and the Cylinder throat should be the same .005
larger than the bore.  It works out the way.  If the bore is a nominal 451, the projectile should be .4515 same same the throats.  In
the past, the most common seen was a 451 bore with throats at 449 or 450.  The throat swages the bullet too small for the bore so
it just kind of rattles in way through.  The normal result is so-so accuracy and excess leading.  For a 451 bore, a projectile and throats
can also run to .452.

If the throats are too small for the bore, they can and should be reamed to the correct size and to true em up round.  Ruger does NOT
do that.

Coffinmaker

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Weewahootee Vigilence Committee, FL
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:25:15 PM »
Coffinmaker;

Wow, woulda thought they would change their CNC bits more often to at least attempt some semblance of consistency/quality.  Thanks again for your valuable time...again. 

I'll try using the #8 Fishing Shaped Slip Sinker for slugging.  Heard tell the [longitudinal] hole helps reduce "spring back".  Should be back home in 2 weeks. 

I hope things work out to accommodate the .452" 200gr pills I usually buy [$38/500].  Not really lazy, but casting/lubing 4K pills/year would take too much time for this ol' salt with more leather projects to make, automatic annealing contraption, etc.

Thanks again friend.  I trust others are learning from this exchange.  p.s. Here's a pic of our Posse last month, sponsoring a "Ladies Shooting Day" in our Cowboy Town.
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:22:27 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Those be some ........ ah ......... well ............ odd lookin ladies.  Whoa.   :o   Not real sure I'm much enamored of ladies with Beards and
um mustacheos.   ::)  Actually sorta scary even   ;D

Looks like ya had FUN!!  Name of the game

Coffinmaker 

Offline eljay

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »
just thought I would raise this ,like Lazarus, from the dead. I have an "old" model vaquero (I know, its just "vaquero") in .357, 4 3/4" barrel that I just cant get to shoot accurately after trying half a dozen loads/powders/projectiles, so thought I would do the slugging trick, pleasantly surprised, .357 pills push gently through the throats, but the bore mics at .3525 with 8 groove rifling (pistol is 1998 manufacture) just thought I would share my findings, keep yer powder dry.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
Eljay,

Here be the deal.  Your barrel bore be some tight.  You may well be getting some leading and you are definitely getting some excess felt recoil.  I would suggest an eMail to Ruger with your accuracy findings and bore findings.  I no longer know for sure what Ruger considered "Within Spec" but Ruger may well wish to replace your barrel at no charge.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
I believe the .005 should read .0005 larger than the bore.

Offline eljay

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
coffinmaker, no leading, no appreciable recoil that I am aware of, and sending to ruger from Australia, well, that aint happening. got lots more loads/powder to try. i'll get there.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »
recently, Ruger had to replace my new vaquero barrel to fix a serious mfg. error.  now shoots nicely.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 08:06:28 PM »

Al well .. Roscoe, ye be quite correct.  I did drop a Zero.  There is quite a difference between the two.

Eljay ....  Well that explains part of the problem.  Yer Upside Down which means the imparted spin of the bullet is backwards to the gravitational pull of the planet.  Tough to fix that.  I'm going to guess you don't have an importer that offers Warranty Service there in your neck of the woods.

My initial reaction to all the good news is 9mm Cast bullets shot out of 357 brass (reduce jump)???

I would also suggest a plaintive eMail to Ruger with your dimensional findings and see/ask if they would be willing to send you a barrel.  Worst Ruger can do is tell ya no.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:24:20 PM »
just thought I would raise this ,like Lazarus, from the dead. I have an "old" model vaquero (I know, its just "vaquero") in .357, 4 3/4" barrel that I just cant get to shoot accurately after trying half a dozen loads/powders/projectiles, so thought I would do the slugging trick, pleasantly surprised, .357 pills push gently through the throats, but the bore mics at .3525 with 8 groove rifling (pistol is 1998 manufacture) just thought I would share my findings, keep yer powder dry.

Just to be sure i am thinking correctly:  You say your "Bore" mikes out at .3525" Diameter on a .357 magnum Firearm.  What is your "Groove" diameter measurement?
If the ".357 Pills push gently through the throats"; does that mean your Cylinder Throats are .357" diameter or something slightly smaller?
Here is an Ammoguide Interactive Case drawing for the .357 Magnum:

Note that the bullet is listed as .358" +.001/-.002".

Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline eljay

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 04:42:50 AM »
yes, .357 will be right for the throats, as very little pressure is needed to push them through, with no marks on the pills. taking 2 measurements on the slugged pill, I get .3525 for the bore and .357 for the groove. it is what it is.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
.357 for the bore would indicate to me to use .358 bullets and have the throats at .3575.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »

Um, just thinking here; it sounds like your Bore is measured at .3525 but your Groove diameter is not measured although it sounds like it might be at least .357" since you state the ".357 pills push gently" through the barrel and appear to engrave with the rifling.

Is my Understanding of your post correct?
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
I believe wrote the bullet presses gently through the throats.

Offline eljay

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »
worked up a couple of loads that work well, 125 truncated cone projectile with AS30 powder (red dot equivalent) and a 158 grain round nose with the same powder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com