Author Topic: Winchester 1895: Mud test!  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Winchester 1895: Mud test!
« on: April 05, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Winchester 1895: Mud test!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Interesting!  I've hunted in some pretty miserable weather but never (thank god) got my rifle that dirty.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
Interesting.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:13:53 PM »

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »

Weren't we just talking about shootin repros 'cause you might scratch your rifle? You trickster you! I thought I was gonna see one of those Japanese Mikaroo "Winchesters"!

That was a real freakin Winchester! :D

Online Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:19:23 PM »
With the shape my '95 is in, I wouldn't be afraid of such a test  causing much damage! (Great shooter, though!)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »

Funny, Ian's great,  but I thought of needing Colonel Niederlander out there to throw the lever on that '95-I know you to be experienced with quickly hammering those big old full-powered Winchesters-the long throw on that lever can be a real bear to handle quickly!

Explaining the thrill of throwing bullets out of those antique shooters is nearly impossible-people either get it or they don't.  Like history?  That old '95 was actually "there", making it! Is that cool or what!?  :D

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
Thanks for posting Drydock,their videos are always fun to watch. Remind me to never loan them a rifle! However mine is a mirokuchester, so it would get mud in the gross tang safety! (but at least it's a .405!)
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »

I was thinking I might should send him this Model 1907 Winchester .351 Self Loader. These are definitely a forgotten weapon-no one at the range ever has any idea what it is!

Couple shovel loads of mud shouldn't hurt it any! :D

Online Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:15:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind having one of those.  The Nebraska Safety Patrol used to issue them, and the guys evidently liked them pretty well.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »
I was a bit concerned when he put the cocked rifle, with a round in the chamber in the wheelbarrow and shoveled on the mud! He should have at least placed the hammer on half-cock! The other thing that would have made a really good test would have been to submerge the action in the mud, as would have happened if a soldier were to have dived prone into the mud and the blood (but no beer??? vodka, maybe???), or were leaning across a muddy parapet. Still, quite interesting. I don't want to think about cleaning that piece after the test!  :)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 07:27:47 PM »
Charles, will that autoloader work at all with reduced loads?
Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 09:36:03 PM »

The Nebraska Safety Patrol used to issue them, and the guys evidently liked them pretty well.

Good info! Lots of firepower-especially if the State is supplying plenty of magazines for it.

Charles, will that autoloader work at all with reduced loads?
Quick Fire

Never tried any myself Quick Fire, but I know Bat2919 did and it didn't work out too well and I would say he knows what he's doing. Gun has a very heavy blow-back operated bolt and a powerful spring that I fear it would have to be modified a good bit to get it to work right with the low powered stuff.

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 03:07:59 PM »

I was thinking I might should send him this Model 1907 Winchester .351 Self Loader. These are definitely a forgotten weapon-no one at the range ever has any idea what it is!

Very cool.  I wouldn't do a "mud test" if it were mine, but to each his own!!!  :)

I bought one a couple of years ago.  These were popular on the Border with the mounted Border Guards in Texas.  I've got a photo somewhere (taken in just pre- or post-WWI of a mounted Guard carrying a 1907 in what appears to be an M1905 rifle scabbard.  A lot of the encounters between the smugglers and bandits with the Boarder Guards or Rangers were short range affairs in the heavy brush country along the river and the "outlaw" trails.  The M1907 (semi-auto) gave good service under those conditions.

They were also made in a select fire version and were the first weapon authorized to be carried in a U.S. Army Air Service aircraft as an offensive/defensive weapon.  IIRC sixteen were purchased either late in or just after the Punitive Expedition.

G.      

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 08:17:07 PM »
in 1987 I purchased an 1895 browning 30-06 as my present to myself when I got out of the Army.  I has probably all of 40 rounds thru it.  I have never found a load it liked.  Have not really tried a bunch, too many other rifles that shoot under 2 min.
Do any of you folks out there have a japanese 1895 winchester in 3006 that shoot well and can point me in the right direction for a load.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »

I bought one a couple of years ago.  These were popular on the Border with the mounted Border Guards in Texas.  I've got a photo somewhere (taken in just pre- or post-WWI of a mounted Guard carrying a 1907 in what appears to be an M1905 rifle scabbard.  A lot of the encounters between the smugglers and bandits with the Boarder Guards or Rangers were short range affairs in the heavy brush country along the river and the "outlaw" trails.  The M1907 (semi-auto) gave good service under those conditions.

They were also made in a select fire version and were the first weapon authorized to be carried in a U.S. Army Air Service aircraft as an offensive/defensive weapon.  IIRC sixteen were purchased either late in or just after the Punitive Expedition.

G.

Great stuff!  I found a picture of one of the guns the Brits modified for air service. Pretty interesting with that modified cold weather trigger guard and a early version of an over sized tactickle charging handle with that big pad on the cocking plunger.

https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/air-service-wwi-non-303-inch/-351-inch-winchester

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »

Not so much forgotten in my neck of the woods. One was used to dispose of king D. Carlos I of Portugal on the first February of 1908.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

Not so much forgotten in my neck of the woods. One was used to dispose of king D. Carlos I of Portugal on the first February of 1908.

Fascinating trivia Sir! I had no idea of this event! Seems the assassin chose one of the most advanced rifles available to do the deed. That one in the picture was made in 1907.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »

Fascinating trivia Sir! I had no idea of this event! Seems the assassin chose one of the most advanced rifles available to do the deed. That one in the picture was made in 1907.

Curious fact. They were sold commercially in what is now the oldest gun shop in Portugal. They still have, in their museum, an exemplar with the consecutive serial number of the weapon used in the assassination.

History trivia: the King's assassination (and of is eldest son) wasn't the end of monarchy in Portugal. Is youngest son (Manuel II) was crowned King, only to be overthrown in the republican revolution of the tenth October 1910.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 07:56:27 PM »
I have a 1905 35 Win SL Inherited one from an old sea captain that lived with my grandpa in the 30s, GP gave it to mom, I got it when Dad passed away in 1992.  We never could get a proper magazine for it but a .351 Win SL works just fine.  Ran out of 35 win sl ammo years ago, may make some out of 5.56 brass if I ever decide to get bullets an dies.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »

I have a 1905 35 Win SL Inherited one from an old sea captain that lived with my grandpa in the 30s

Well that's a pretty interesting history! I do see vintage 35sl ammo for sale once in a while, but not as often as the .351 or even the .401.

You know, Mike Venturino (one of the few gun writers left who's work I actually like) wrote this article last year on the old Winchester self loaders, and even after owning over 20 lever action Winchesters, he didn't know about the self loaders. Here's the article-

https://gunsmagazine.com/winchester-model-1907/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com