Author Topic: New ( to me ) colt  (Read 4954 times)

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New ( to me ) colt
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
Gun show in Reno this week end. Tried to ignore it but it followed me home. Colt SAA, 4&3/4 , blue and CCH. 44 special with the 44/40 cly. numbered
 to the gun. Original box and paper work. Has a action job done and the original springs are in the box. As near as I can tell the s/n of sa54xxx puts it about 1981. $1875 out the door.
No battle damage that I can see. Bore is clean and no pitting
Any comments??

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: New ( to me ) colt
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
Are you happy with the Colt and what you paid for it? If so, then anyone else's opinion shouldn't matter. I just picked up a beater, supposed to be a frozen 38-40. Got it home, took it apart, and have started cleaning the rust off. A movie studio gun, marked EE, made in 1881, a 45, a couple of replaced parts and a couple will need replaced. paid just over $800. Wife thinks I'm nuts, nothing new, but I'm happy with it. It'll be a good shooter when I'm done, no show piece, but solid. And I'll take an original first gen Colt for $800 any time. So, if you're happy, enjoy it. ;D

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
Not a bad price for a Colt with 2 cylinders! Enjoy!!

I have a pair of Colts in .44-40 that I absolutely love! ;)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:39:17 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
Why would there be comments?

You haven't provided any photos so the finish or any possible anomalies can be viewed, so no one can really offer an opinion.

If 'you' are having second thoughts about what you'd paid - put it on Gunbroker - if not, then be happy with the price, but don't ask others' opinions seeking some sort of validation or consensus - they 'all' have their personal opinions on prices, and pricing of SAAs does vary by location.

Colt makes very few SAAs during a normal production year, and less are being made as we speak, while Colt tries to stay afloat with failing military contracts and piss-poor management tied almost strictly to said contracts, and has their ass handed to them by outfits like FN, and everyone else with the capability to build the M16 series.

With that in mind, it's getting so 'any' boxed SAA is becoming a rarity, and all will rise in price exponentially.

You bought a nice Colt at about what they're going for across the country - be happy - but know that if 'you' don't want it, others do, so you won't be out any money.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »
St George,
The server won't allow me to post pictures. If I have offend you I apologize.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Chuckerbird, sounds like a nice gun.  I have a .44 Spcl 5 1/2" (made in '78) bought used in '99 for $700 I think (no box, etc).  It had a line around the cylinder and a few scratches, timing was off.  I had an action job done on it.  Then around 2001 I bought a 4 3/4" 44 Spcl (also made in '78) for $900.  That one looked perfect and unfired, but did not have a box or papers.  I put a spring kit in it and it feels very close to being as smooth as the 5 1/2" with the action job.  Since I have several sets of guns for CAS and my engraved conversions get shot the most, these Colts only get shot in a couple matches a year, but they have had a few thousand trouble-free rounds through them, both smokeless and BP.

The .44's don't bring as much as .45's, but yours having the extra cylinder, NIB, etc. sounds pretty good.  Price was probably fair, though I'm no expert.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »

St George!!  Caffeine "Low Light" come on??  ::) ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
Thanks Abilene, I appreciate the information.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:13:37 AM »
 I'll comment...

Congratulations on your find. From your description I think you got a heck of a buy. I'd love to have a similarly configured Colt. To upload pictures you'll probably have to use a third party site such as Photobucket.

You'll have to excuse some of the personalities here, they don't seem to like members with low post counts, newcomers, etc. Just stay the course.

CHT

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
Grats on your purchase, I bought a unfired 44 spl. in the early 80`s and love it.  :D
USAF 72-76
DAV member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com