Author Topic: American Arms uberti 1860 Henry  (Read 8326 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
American Arms uberti 1860 Henry
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:29:36 AM »
Well, while browsing guns stores. I found an American Arms Henry, it does have uberti on it as well. Its 44-40, but curious about it, the seller wants $850 which is a good price on a henry. its an older piece

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: American Arms uberti 1860 Henry
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »
American Arms were around from the mid 90's  till the turn of the century as I recall ...
Just guessing that would have your find perhaps 1994- 2000   :-\
The date code will tell the year of the Henry's manufacture.

$850 is about as low as you'll find and if it's sound ...then  ;)

look at the bore and check it was not just a CW reenactor's piece, used & abused with BP blanks and left uncleaned.

That's my 2 cents 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 06:16:04 AM »
American Arms were around from the mid 90's  till the turn of the century as I recall ...
Just guessing that would have your find perhaps 1994- 2000   :-\
The date code will tell the year of the Henry's manufacture.

$850 is about as low as you'll find and if it's sound ...then  ;)

look at the bore and check it was not just a CW reenactor's piece, used & abused with BP blanks and left uncleaned.

That's my 2 cents 

I don't think there's too much civil war reenactments in mt, but I'll take your advice...if it's still there

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:05:03 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
In Montana , would not be an reason not to think possible reenactor or heavy BP blank use.... :)
Reenactors travel 1000's of miles to the Battles especially the large ones.

Being if it's been there some weeks , and if you're considering it , make a cash offer .... Say maybe $750 see if you can meet him in the middle somewhere, good luck.  :)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 07:48:45 PM »
yeah, i'll try that. need to look at it tuesday since that store is closed sunday n monday ??? don't know why that is

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 10:31:24 PM »
As is my FFL...
if you think about it , Saturday is busy day for Retail Gun stores so it given they are open....
then they use Sunday & Monday as their Weekend off....  :-\
I've never asked why they might not have someone in to Cover  ???

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 03:55:48 AM »
never thought about it that way, makes a lot of since. I'll go see if they still have it on tuesday. hopefully they do if they don't they dont'.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:10 AM »
would replacement parts fit this rifle incase something breaks? Im worried since many people here say that new parts won't fit older guns.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »
Check the date code ....American Arms was in business 1994- 2000 (as I stated )

from 98 on , I think you'll be fine

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 04:56:35 AM »
Actually, Uberti changed the bolt circa. 2005, so many of the new parts won't work on earlier guns. It would require the bolt upgrade which is about $125 in parts. Coffinmaker & Pettifogger have commented on this before.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
I cant wait for all these cheap henry's to come on the market because parts are not available >: ;D
I might be able to get a few of my variants made up. ;)
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
I cant wait for all these cheap henry's to come on the market because parts are not available >: ;D
I might be able to get a few of my variants made up. ;)

It won't happen as 99.99% of owners don't know this.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
Dont all Henry owners read these post ;D
my brass frame Uberti has no date stamps that i can find ???
Buffalochip

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
Actually, Uberti changed the bolt circa. 2005, so many of the new parts won't work on earlier guns. It would require the bolt upgrade which is about $125 in parts. Coffinmaker & Pettifogger have commented on this before.

Yes...  :)  "It would require the bolt upgrade which is about $125 in parts."  but doable ....

I was referring to the  "American Arms was in business 1994- 2000 frame work" ( though I knew that, I wasn't clear )

I have 3 Uberti Henry's > 1. Circa 1979 ( Navy Arms )   2. is 1999 (Cimarron)   and 3. 2008 Iron Frame (Taylors)

Dimensions are measurably  different  on the early 79 VS the 99 carrier internally as well ...

the Dimensions 99 VS 08 ( though the Bolt & Firing pin differ) , the carrier spec's the same , of course fitment might need a Smith of Coffin Maker's caliber to retro the newer Bolt & FP if the need arised.

I also have a HRA H011  = # 4  and that is a different story

I simply meant within the  "American Arms was in business 1994- 2000 " frame work.

Aside from Bolt & FP ,  with Circa ...98 - 2000 ( end of American Arms Importer ) he'd be fine ( quite possibly 94 -98 I just don't have one to compare )  

Just my 2 cents , but if I ran across an  American Arms 1994- 2000 in working condition @ say $650 -750  ( is that a cheap enough Henry's ? ... Mike ) I be all over it ...  :)  Thing is,  like Potato Chip's (I) can't have just one  ;)

BTW  Mike your date code may be under the tang , hidden by the wood.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 02:26:12 AM »
Not had the wood of it yet.
Thanks
Buffalochip

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
OK.  I give up.  It's time to chime in.
The first big giveaway is the frame at the top of the Carrier Block travel.  If there is a slot cut in the frame to clear 44-40 cartridges, avoid the gun like the plague.  Not only does new build carriers not fit, neither does the Bolt/firing pin/extension rod.  The lever side springs are entirely different and the stock inletting and stock screws are different.  So:  What it boils down to is this.  There are NO replacement nor
repair parts available for the old Uberti rifles.  NONE.  There are no performance parts (some don't care about this).
The later made early build Uberti rifles (confusing yes??) are very cartridge OAL sensitive because not only is the Carrier Block a different
size from the new(er) guns, but the cartridge return ramp in the carrier block is quite short and very steep.  Load a cartridge just a tiny bit short and you get a double feed jam.
Now, if the gun being looked at is in fine fettle, functions as it should (take dummy cartridges to the POS and cycle it) and you are not
intending to run it hard for CAS, it probably doesn't matter.  If your going to run it hard, opt for a newer build gun.

Coffinmaker

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 10:48:10 PM »
i'll have to look at it tomorrow on my lunch break, hopefully he lets me take photos.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 03:08:04 AM »
I have a old school Uberti 73 was a 38 was rebarred to 25WCF by some one who did not know what they were doing, I bought it rebarred it to 32WCF with a 308 target barrel. The gun has the short carrier but it works as the carrier has been cut so the second round is pushed back into the mag when the carrier rises length matters. Learn to load your rounds to suit. No it is not a compitition gun but it shoot and function well.
If the price is right and this one is buy it and enjoy the smoke that it will push out.
I you want a compitition gun spend more money and get a 73 set for it.

Buffalochip

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:57 PM »
this being a CAS forum and most if not everyone here do CAS shooting, I don't have an interested in it. i'm interested in the firearms of the cowboy years and want to shoot them for fun. not having to be on a timer and only getting to shoot very little seems weird and boring to me. I want a henry for the historical aspect and shooting it for fun.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 08:43:55 PM »
Nativeshooter - actually there are quite a few members of CASCITY that do not shoot competition, but they like it here for the talk of guns, history, and other stuff.  As for the Henry rifle in question, if it is in good shape, buy it!  I really wouldn't worry too much about parts availability.  I have four '73's and one '66.  I shoot them all in CAS, but I am not highly competitive.  Though I have adjusted the spring tension on all of them, none have short stroke kits or any other aftermarket parts.  The newest has 1500 rounds through it and the oldest has nearly 7000.  I have never broken nor worn out a single part.  The toggle-link design is simple and works well with little wear when not being pushed to its limits as the top competitors will do.

I do recommend lightening the springs.  This will not only make the gun feel better and more pleasing to operate, it will lessen the internal wear caused by parts rubbing together under excess spring tension.  If you are worried about grinding springs down too far and needing to be replaced, you can lessen the spring tension by simply adjusting the mounting screws (as the originals were designed to do).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com