Author Topic: Awl  (Read 957 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Awl
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »
Anybody here made their own sewing awl? Gonna be using some 3 cord thread and can’t find an awl small enough. (10 spi), or do you recommend just taking the smallest I can find and reshaping?
Thanks a lot!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Awl
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:12:48 PM »
Anybody here made their own sewing awl? Gonna be using some 3 cord thread and can’t find an awl small enough. (10 spi), or do you recommend just taking the smallest I can find and reshaping?
Thanks a lot!

I dont do things how ya sposed to - for fine work I put a stopper (drill a neat hole through a piece of dowell or such) on the awl blade so it cant go full depth - but that means the holes in the second layer of leather are too tight - I fix that by marking and punching the two stitch lines separately. My methods raise some hackles with traditionalists but my work turns out neater than most I see so I tend to ignore the raised hackles.
 I'm thinking reducing the size of an awl blade would be a longish chore - would need very fine emery cloth and some polishing compound - the big plus of a well used old saddlers awl is its smooth shiny finish make using it so much nicer than a new one.   

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
I made one that I used for years. It's just a blade pushed into a handle I fashioned out of wood with a copper band.

The one I use most now is this Vergez-Blanchard 38mm awl. It has a nice narrow handle at the tip and gets into almost any tight place.

I still use the other one when I need to stitch through 4 or more layers of 8oz leather.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:52 PM »

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 05:05:36 AM »
Thanks guys. I sure don’t know how the old English saddlers did (do) it. I heard some of the fine tack was made at like 13 spi. (Or more) That would take a fine craftman.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »
Don't know what to tell you. I drill mine on a drillpress using a #56 bit, or punch the holes on my Juki sewing machine using a #160, 180 or 220 needle depending on the thread thickness.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Hamburglar

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 12:07:39 PM »
Save yourself a ton of trouble and just get a Douglas blade. Learn how to sharpen and POLISH it and saddle-stitching will be a breeze!  https://www.facebook.com/DSCTools/

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 02:52:19 PM »
Thanks everybody. Ended up takin the verges-blanchard that I had and easing the entry angle and thinning the blade to my liking. Then polished it real good on a strop. Slides thru 7-8oz hermann oak like butter and leaves a tiny trapezoid hole.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
Perfect, pard. That's a good solution.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com