Author Topic: New Win. Model '66  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
New Win. Model '66
« on: January 21, 2016, 01:04:27 AM »
http://blog.winchester.com/2016/ron-rafe-talk-about-the-model-1866-rifle/

From what I gather from the video it will only be available this year in the commemorative form.  :-\

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Win. Model '66
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »
Collectors item, great. >:(
Buffalochip

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
Collectors item, great. >:(

Agreed. I definitely won't have the money for that. Shoot.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:26:56 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »
Pettifogger posted elsewhere there was precisely ONE 1866 at the Winchester booth at Shot Show.  Fully engraved and $3000+

I personally would not be surprised to learn it's actually a Uberti.

Coffinmaker

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
 ;D Well i am not the only one ::)
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:12:12 PM »
Pettifogger posted elsewhere there was precisely ONE 1866 at the Winchester booth at Shot Show.  Fully engraved and $3000+

I personally would not be surprised to learn it's actually a Uberti.

Coffinmaker

If you watch the top of the bolt when he cycles it you can see a few screws or bolts. I believe that is how Miroku does it, correct?
 ???

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
Finally got to see a 'FAIR" picture of the "new" 1866.  I do believe Fox Creek Kid to be right and I was incorrect.  Near as I can tell,
not a Uberti.  The firing pin extension rod has the tell-tale features of the Japanese extension rod in the Miroku '73.  It would appear
they (Miroku) have actually tooled up for a limited run 1866.  Gonna be some expensive with or without all those scratches.  

Coffinmaker

PS:  Unless it goes into series production.  Could happen I suppose.

PSS:  Let us remember ... today Winchester is just a "Name."  Winchester hasn't manufactured a firearm in eons.  It's a Moroku.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
...PSS:  Let us remember ... today Winchester is just a "Name."  Winchester hasn't manufactured a firearm in eons.  It's a Moroku.

I agree. Most surviving ones are in name only as they all have been bankrupt and/or bought out at least once if not countless times. The original Winchester co. was bought by Olin Corp. in 1931 to be frank. The original Colt co. was sold in 1905 when the widow died & Remington went bankrupt in 1888!!

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/mmodel-1866/1866-yellow-boy-commemorative.html

I cannot help but notice that Winchester never once mentions the name Henry in their history on the webpage.  ??? 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »
I think it is actually important to remember, if it wasn't for B. Tyler Henry, Winchester would be no more than a "footnote."  Since the
Winchester Repeating Arms Co doesn't really exist anymore, I think more appropriate initials for the engraving would be an overlay of
'O' 'W' or some such.
I'm picking nits I suppose.  However, So what.  Winchester is only Winchester on a piece of paper.  They do have a very imiganitive
marketing department.  They have also taken quite a gamble that they can amortize Miroku tooling up to make the '66.  I think we
should call it the "New 2016."

Coffinmaker
Snicker Snicker Hiccup 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »
isn't that  O W R A super imposed & entwined on the Left Side plate ?

Oliver Winchester Repeating Arms  ???
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 08:52:18 PM »
Nah.  In retrospect ..... They should use MY initials.  Just as appropriate don'tcha think  ::)   :P

Coffinmaker
SnickerSnicker ScuzMe

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »
I have to say the same thing about this '66 as I did when the Miroku '73 came out.  They had a chance to mark the gun (barrels, tangs, calibers, Kings Patent Improvement... etc) properly, and totally blew it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
I have to agree with Abilene.  When the Miroku '73 came out and I was able to fondle one, I had to ask what all the excitement was all
about.  The rifle was/is nicely made, wood to metal was good, not exceptional, but good.  The action cycled nicely but needed work for
CAS use.  I was basically underwhelmed.  It is also difficult to make run with the (currently) only available short stroke kit. 
So ..... basically we have a lose copy of a Uberti.  Sorry, but the action does not copy Winchester.  It copies Uberti.  Ho Hum.

Now the Miroku '66.  I haven't seen one yet.  Doubt I'll get to see one any time in the immediate future.  Or even distant future.  So I
have my expectations adjusted.  Another lose copy of a Uberti.  The action probably will not actually copy Winchester beyond the
Toggle Links.  It is a copy of a Uberti.  It will also be difficult to make run for CAS.  Ho Hum.

Back to our normally scheduled programming.  But Wait!!  There's MORE!!  For just an additional 4000 box tops, Miroku may also make
a Henry!!  No, wait, it isn't Winchester.  But Wait!!!  Either are the Miroku '73 or '66!!  Skuzme!

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »
I guess we'll see if the 66 is done more tasteful but I thought the exact same thing when I saw the markings on the Miroku 73. All the gaudy markings take away from it and I couldn't figure out why they didn't make the markings more classy looking.

You can read the "Made in Japan" barrel marking from twenty feet away. Most firearms have the made in Japan, Belgium, or where ever in small letters. On these guns the "Made in Japan" more noticeable than the "Winchester" marking. I don't care for the big generic block lettering on the tang and nothing seems to flow together.

It reminds me of when my son was about 5 years old in the leather shop stamping names on scrap pieces of leather.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com