Author Topic: Acceptability of Reproduction Sharps .45-70 Carbine  (Read 13899 times)

1961MJS

Re: Acceptability of Reproduction Sharps .45-70 Carbine
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:21 am »
The tang sight would be legal in the Buffalo Scout category, but not the Military Single Shot category.

The rear sight on my original Spencer looks almost identical to your picture. Like yours the slider didn't want to stay where I put it. I got frustrated one day, grabbed a pair of pliers and pinched it together. Now it's hard to move but at least it stays where I put it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  If Steve Baldwin has any mid range verniers in stock, I'll get one and pull it off for competition.  I'm concerned that I can't see a 300 yard target with buckhorn sights.

Later

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:50 pm »
Well Mike if I'm reading your user name correctly I'd be 1962JMD so my eyes ain't 18 no more either but I can still see the 300yd target...I can't always hit it but I can see it ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Patron Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:36 pm »
I'm a 1958LAR, can see the 300 yard target just fine. But-sights? what sights?

1961MJS

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 09:50:35 pm »
Well Mike if I'm reading your user name correctly I'd be 1962JMD so my eyes ain't 18 no more either but I can still see the 300yd target...I can't always hit it but I can see it ;D

Hi

I took the day off and went to check out magnifying safety glasses (more or less) at Jantz Supply (knives).  I did drop by the range and check how the sights looked again.  Not too bad, it was WINDY when I was out sighting in the gun last weekend.  At 75 yards, I had trouble keeping focused on the sights.  I have what my eye doctor (who took over for me as Pistol Coach when I moved) calls "Hobby Glasses" so I can focus on the front sight of a 1911.  I have a great sight picture, but the target is supposed to be blurry. 

I did try pinching the sight.  I'm going to order a couple of the slides, they're not all that well made.  I was sure I was going to break it getting it tighter.  Its not tight at the top and bottom of the slide, but loose as heck in the middle.  The Smith Enterprises rear sight looks good, but then no one has them in stock either.  Compared to the original sight it also goes on backwards...  The Smith sight has a set screw which would be great.

I think that if I can get it tight, and repeatable Ill be o.k.  If I can't get a Vernier for working up a load, I think I'll use a Marble Improved then take it back off after I get a load. 

Thanks for putting up with all of the questions.   ;D

Later

1961MJS

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 05:32:25 pm »
Hi

I got the Vernier on the gun, and sighted it in at 75 yards, I'll work in 100 when I go work on the groups.  I also had Steve put a small screw on the original ladder sight's slide.  It seems to work well.  I did better with the glasses this time, not sure what the different was.  My plan is to take the Vernier off to compete with, at some point I hope to get another Sharps or 1885 Winchester to go under it. 

From reading McChristain's book, I think I can use my Fair Weather Christian .45 caliber civil war belt and put both .45 LC and .45-70 in it.  The .45-70 seems to fit o.k. (at home anyway).  Would it be a good idea to purchase a Civil War Cavalry Carbine cartridge box and / or an officer's pistol cartridge box in addition?

Thanks

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 04:46:17 am »
How many rounds will your belt hold? I sometimes wear 2.

I don't think I've ever run out of rounds in a stage but I understand that it really sucks, right Ned & Sam?  ;D

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 08:57:17 am »
It does indeed!  Pays to slow down just a bit and actually HIT targets!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

1961MJS

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 03:11:55 pm »
How many rounds will your belt hold? I sometimes wear 2.

I don't think I've ever run out of rounds in a stage but I understand that it really sucks, right Ned & Sam?  ;D
Well, actually I have a Fair Weather Christian, AND a Prairie belt from Dave Carrico.  so I could wear roughly 30 rounds of .45-70 and 24 or more of .45 LC on the belts and fill the pocket of the Civil War officer sack coat and a vest  if I have to.  I'm still sort of considering the Civil war Cavalry belt box just in case.  I compete at Bullseye (badly, but I do try), the rest of this is just for grins. 

Until this came up my nefarious plan was to use the FWC for GAF and the Prairie belt for Expansion Era.  Now I may just bring it all.  That all may not work if it's muddy...

Later

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 07:16:10 pm »
MJS, I started an expansion era stage once with a Win '94 30-30, with 50 rounds and I used-50 rounds. Forgot to change to my special "shooting prescription" glasses and darned if the sights just didn't totally disappear! I think I had to sneak up on a couple of rifle targets with my 1911 to finish.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2017, 04:38:50 am »
Well, actually I have a Fair Weather Christian, AND a Prairie belt from Dave Carrico.  so I could wear roughly 30 rounds of .45-70 and 24 or more of .45 LC on the belts and fill the pocket of the Civil War officer sack coat and a vest  if I have to.  I'm still sort of considering the Civil war Cavalry belt box just in case.  I compete at Bullseye (badly, but I do try), the rest of this is just for grins.  

Until this came up my nefarious plan was to use the FWC for GAF and the Prairie belt for Expansion Era.  Now I may just bring it all.  That all may not work if it's muddy...

Later

That sounds about like what I do.  If you DON'T find some grins up her I'll be seriously disappointed.

If it's muddy... We'll all have a really interesting weekend!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:42:11 am by Pitspitr »

1961MJS

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 02:37:56 pm »
MJS, I started an expansion era stage once with a Win '94 30-30, with 50 rounds and I used-50 rounds. Forgot to change to my special "shooting prescription" glasses and darned if the sights just didn't totally disappear! I think I had to sneak up on a couple of rifle targets with my 1911 to finish.

Hi, my eye doctor in Kansas is also a pistol coach, he took over when I left.  I have Hobby Glasses.
Mike

1961MJS

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 06:09:25 pm »
Hi

I got the Vernier on the gun, and sighted it in at 75 yards, I'll work in 100 when I go work on the groups.  I also had Steve put a small screw on the original ladder sight's slide.  It seems to work well.  I did better with the glasses this time, not sure what the different was.  My plan is to take the Vernier off to compete with, at some point I hope to get another Sharps or 1885 Winchester to go under it. 

Hi

A quick update on the Cavalry Sharps.  The screw that Steve put in the ladder sight didn't do much.  I was using the original sight at 50 yards while working up a load and I FINALLY noticed that I was getting vertical stringing because the slide was bouncing out to the end every once in a while.  I ordered a new sight from Dixie Gun Works that is for an original Sharps, but it looks like the same size.  I hope it works.  The review on the Sporter version said that the slide does actually stick where you. put it, AND the guy had put the sight on a Pedersoli so I have hopes.  I believe I have a load worked up at 36.8 grains of IMR3031. 

On a side note, I still have burnt powder husks in the barrel and I went from starting load to max load for a 405 grain Lead round nose flat point in the Lyman book.  See y'all in a few weeks.

Later

Menu Editor Pro 1.0.2 | Copyright 2014, Matthew Kerle