Author Topic: Smaller Bowie  (Read 9697 times)

Offline mustanggt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smaller Bowie
« on: August 22, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
I have searched on the net for days looking for a smaller Bowie knife. I have one that is real big 16"+ and it just gets in the way. I don't need it that big for shooting a match. I was thinking more like 10-11" or so. I'm just looking for a reasonable priced one $200 give or take. Just looking for reputable businesses to deal with. If you could give me recommendations I'd sure appreciate it. Thank you.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Smaller Bowie
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:24 AM »
Check Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf - they generally have suitable stock.

Also, take a deeper look at the 'back pages' here, and you'll see that it wasn't all about Bowies - but there were many other styles of knives and sheaths used during the time frame.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »
If you want a handy, period correct rather handsome using knife  

here was my choice... not a Bowie, but a Roach Belly , charcoal forged , Curly Maple scales , full bladed and holds a razor edge.

hand made in the Oregon   , Price is darn right reasonable at $69.95 from Atlanta Cutlery  

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-852-frontier-utility-knife.aspx

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:53:01 AM »

1961MJS

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
Hi

I've been reading up on the whole Bowie knife and Cowboy Knife AND Buffalo Hunter knife thing.  I'm making my own, sanding knife handles is a good way to kill time.  Anyway, search on Crazy Crow Green River Knife AND Crazy Crow Butcher Knife.  They put the scales on plain old butcher knives in the old five pin pattern (like on the 5 Dice).

If you're good your hands and have a belt sander making your own is pretty easy too.  See Jantz Supply their prices are slightly cheaper than Track of the Wold and Crazy Crow, but not much. 

Just My $0.02

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
I think a 6" bowie blade with full tang, stag or jigged bone to look like stag scales, and a brass double guard- there is one in Waco, TX at the ranger museum and of all the knives carried in the cowboy days- that would have been pretty common. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
I agree with Davem;  Here is a link to sheffield bowies in England. Not pushing them as there are very similar blades available in North America;

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/22-69.html

This is a product that was widely available during the day. In fact it was continuously made from then to now. The conversion to cartridge firearms made the large knives superfluous. For general utility a six-inch blade is about the top end.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
One of the most overlooked blades of the era (today, everyone wants a big, honkin' Bowie) is the ubiquitous skinner, or 'Green River' blade.

They were found everywhere and used by everyone because of their utility and ease of sharpening, and because of their availability.

Put one in a beaded sheath and you're set.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
Is there a more useless belt knife than a great honkin' Bowie with a 10" or greater blade?

It's too big for daily chores that require a knife, too big for a camp knife, useless for slicing anything, weighs too much for it's utility and not big enough to clear brush or split firewood. They also make sitting down in some chairs uncomfortable and awkward.

I see a lot of city hunters coming and going at the General Store these days. There are always a few that think it really cool to come into the store wearing a huge belt knife. The locals snicker, most of them wearing folders or "Leatherman" tools on their belts as part of the dress code. They'd no sooner leave the house without one than a hat.

I've got several smaller Bowies, some of them Sheffield blades picked up at swap meets and 'junque' shops. They reside in my hunting pack while my gutting knife is a Gerber folder with a 4" blade. Any more and I get into trouble inside the body cavity of a deer or bear.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »
Try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Age-Gunfighter-Weapons-Frontier-1840-1900/dp/0806127619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442267886&sr=8-1&keywords=gunfighters+By+Rosa#reader_0806127619

Bring up the page and then click on the index and scroll up to the photo- look at the playing card. you can sort of tell that the knife has only a 6" blade. It is almost a twin to the one at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco.  There were plenty of styles but a small "Bowie" like that I think was pretty common in the 1880's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com