Author Topic: Suggestions for cartridge loops...?  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suggestions for cartridge loops...?
« on: November 04, 2005, 03:29:54 PM »
All,

I am looking for some good designs for putting cartridge loops on the buttstock of my Winchester.
I plan on making a custom cover for my rifle stock and I want it to hold 8 rounds of 38-55.

I got some nice doe skin from Tandy Leather and I am going to make a patern for it shortly.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

-DW

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Suggestions for cartridge loops...?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 07:41:25 PM »
Howdy, Pard,

Doeskin is probably too soft and chances are it is chrome-tanned, which is tough on cartridge brass!  If you want to use this to cover the buttstock, and presuming the finish pretty well seals the wood of the stock, you might want to make a rectangle of topgrain cowhide to which you stitch the cartridge loops, also topgrain cowhide.  The rectangle can then be attached to the doeskin by stitching.  The cartridge carrier should be on the side of the stock opposite your cheek!

Hopes this is of some help!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 08:51:35 PM »
I use 3-4oz bridle (strap) leather for my cartridge loops. It's stiff enough to work good without being too stiff to work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:01 PM »

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 12:02:23 AM »
I use 3-4oz bridle (strap) leather for my cartridge loops. It's stiff enough to work good without being too stiff to work.

Me too for the same reason.

Howdy, Pard,

Doeskin is probably too soft and chances are it is chrome-tanned, which is tough on cartridge brass!  If you want to use this to cover the buttstock, and presuming the finish pretty well seals the wood of the stock, you might want to make a rectangle of topgrain cowhide to which you stitch the cartridge loops, also topgrain cowhide.  The rectangle can then be attached to the doeskin by stitching.  The cartridge carrier should be on the side of the stock opposite your cheek!

That is a great suggestion.  Could even scallop the edges so it isn't just a plain rectangle.

Kid
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 09:28:06 PM »
Howdy, Pard,

I like your idea...

I am fitting the buttstock cover right now. I have a little bit of stitching to do on the front of it (where the stock of the Winchester drops on the top) and I am working on the lace holes. (small ones... nothing fancy)

I think I can JUST fit 8 cartridges on it with the extra length the Decerlator pad adds to the stock. For those of us with long arms, an extra inch to the stock is just what I needed.

Offline Nolan Sackett

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Co
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:21:49 AM »
hopefully this is one of those better late than never posts....... ;)

all three are lined with buckskin with buckskin on the cheekside - the cartridge are is 3/4 oz veg tan with 3/4 oz veg tan loops. The strap from all reports and personal experince is a great aid since the bloody thing wants to slide forward otherwise, even with a sling stud between the laces. The whole thing is sealed to make it as water resistant as possible.
aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »
Nice, Nolan. Good use of two-tone leather/concho scheme.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 02:51:53 PM »
Absolutly awsom Nolan. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com