Author Topic: 1898 Krag Parade Rifle  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
1898 Krag Parade Rifle
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »
I don't know much about these. Is anyone out there familiar with them?

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1898 Krag Parade Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:44 PM »
If you're talking about the chromed ones - they were just that - all metal was chromed for display/parades, and often done locally - 'not' done officially.

The wood was heavily varnished - sometimes there were white leather slings - sometimes, white canvas - both commercial products as supplied by vendors dealing with ceremonial activities.

Legion Posts and ROTC Drill Teams had them, '03s and '03A3's - and often, they had sights removed so they weren't a danger when doing the Queen Anne Rifle Salutes or spinning.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:30 AM »
Thanks, St. George. I found one yesterday at an auction that was advertised as being  Parade rifle, but the barrel wasn't chromed, so I'm thinking it was a gun put together from parts. The bore looks great in it as does the rest of the rifle, but as I said, I don't know much about these guns. But it did go pretty reasonable.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45:57 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:15:49 AM »
'Sometimes' - but not all - the barrels are plugged or drilled and the firing pins are ground down so that nothing can be fired.

As an aside - they did something similar to the Garands - but in their case, they welded the barrel to the receiver, ground the firing pin tip and droved an over-sized 3" section of rod into the chamber end - then, they ground the handguard a little, to accommodate the weld.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com