Author Topic: Anyone holster, carry their USFA's?  (Read 21196 times)

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone holster, carry their USFA's?
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:10 PM »
I have always wanted a F.A. Meanea style Cheyenne holster, and after many years finally ordered one from Rick Bachman at Old West Reproductions.  Now with the desirability and prices of USFA's I am not even sure that I have the courage to put one of my USFA's, or Colt SAA in the holster.  I ordered the holster with the buckskin lining, which I hope should help prevent finish damage.  My guns are all coated in several layers of Renaissance Wax, hopefully that will help also.  So, anybody carry their USFA's or Colt's?  Does it take a lot of carrying to wear off bluing?

Jared

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Anyone holster, carry their USFA's?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:38:12 AM »
I bought my USFA's to shoot, so yes they get carried in a holster.  The blue wears at the muzzle.  I shoot a 2nd Gen Colt a lot and it has taken 40+ years for the blue to wear at the muzzle and the front of the cylinder.  The ivory has turned yellow and it looks and feels like and old friend.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
I have shot and carried a USFA gun quite a bit.  Colt's even more.  The real collector guns are unfired anyway.  My guns have obviously been used.  No going back now  ;D

FWIW I have found lined holsters, those lined with anything but good saddle leather anyway wear the finish faster not saving it.  The reasoning for that is the softer leather allows dust to stick to the softer leather easier and you in effect get a fine grain sand paper working your finish in short order.

Carry (these days) isn't what wears the finish as much as drawing the gun and putting it back in the holster that causes the noticeable finish wear.  But any gun can be refinished to like new if it gets bad enough to annoy you.

"I have always wanted a F.A. Meanea style Cheyenne holster, and after many years finally ordered one from Rick Bachman at Old West Reproductions."

Something to think about.  Did you buy the guns for you or to sell to the next collector?
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:57:54 AM »

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:32 PM »
"Did you buy the guns for you or to sell to the next collector?"

Honestly, I bought them with the intention of shooting them, and never had any intention to sell them.  I plan to give them to my sons when I kick the bucket.  I'm a huge old west buff, that is why I shoot SAA's in 2015, and a nice holster seems like part of the package.  I've always thought that it would be fun to carry one of my SAA's around while out exploring Nevada ghost towns.

Jared

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
Jared,
Holster wear can add character to a gun.  When you do hand that gun down to your sons do you want them to look at it and think,"here is a gun that dad never touched," or do you want them to see a gun that you actually put to use?
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »
"Honestly, I bought them with the intention of shooting them, and never had any intention to sell them.  I plan to give them to my sons when I kick the bucket."

Jared, good on ya!  I have several guns I'd like to wear out n my life time.  Not sure that I am still capable of that but aint going to stop me from trying  ;D   Next owner is only gonna wonder about the stories those guns could tell!

My guess is your sons will appreciate "the guns" you and they shoot and carry together, than they ever would a NIB safe queen.

The real reason I value my family guns from 4 generations now is that they were "their" guns.  Not that they are Colts or Winchesters.   Doesn't hurt mind you to have nice brand name guns.  But more important to me to have their guns that any specific guns.  Not saying that very well but I suspect you know what I am meaning.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
As I say in my catalog, the only way to totally prevent bluing wear on a gun is...never put it in a holster! As was posted by yahoody, the act of drawing and holstering a gun causes the wear. There is no way completely around it; only ways to minimize wear. For one thing, depending on the holster design, the gun must contact the inside of the holster at seven places. Otherwise it will flop around in the holster, causing more wear! The best, and only lining I use is topgrain cowhide, smooth side to the gun. Suedes and buckskin will accelerate wear for the reasons stated; they pick up dirt and powder residue. John Bianchi, in his book "Blue Steel and Gun Leather" states this, as well. When asked why, then, did/does he make suede-lined holsters, he answered that was what some customers demanded!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 11:28:30 PM »
No one wants top grain cowhide lining because it's ugly and I can guarantee it will wear finish just as fast as any other lining material.  Simply put, there is no way to prevent finish wear in a lined or unlined holster.  If a person wants his pistol to have that new-in-the-box look, then keep it new-in-the-box.  I should add that the pistols I carry and shoot are also USFA's.  I bought them because I like to shoot.  All of my Colts are 1st generation except for one.  I don't like carrying my early guns and frankly, the USFA pistols will shoot rings around the Colts that I own.  When I make a holster for myself, I always line it with buckskin.  I love the way it looks, it's authentic and by the way, Frank Meanea lined a large number of his holsters because customers asked for it.  I'm not concerned with the small percentage of finish wear these guns might get.  I am far more concerned about a ding or dent in the metal or breaking the ivory grips.  Cowboy guns turn me on and when my USFA's begin to look like some of my fine, used old Colts, the better I'll like them.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 02:35:28 PM »
Buck is right and I can back up his guarantee because I have actually tested it. Smooth grain side cowhide will wear the guns finish just as fast and I have found in my testing that it actually wore the guns finish worse than unlined flesh side leather against the guns finish.

Here is my experience and why I can say for 100% sure what Buck just posted about the wear is true.

I carry a pistol every day. Usually a Glock or the little Kel-Tec or Ruger pocket pistols in my hip pocket. I do excavation work and run equipment for my real job they get a lot of wear, sitting on, and rubbing up against tractor seats for hundreds/thousands of hours in very dirty conditions.

I have assembled holsters in various fashion for carrying the different guns and found that the ones carried in the holsters assembled with the grain side in actually wore the finish off of the sharp edges of the gun faster than one assembled flesh side in as an unlined holster.

I was initially shocked when assembling a holster in a way to prevent wear actually seemed to increase wear so I had to see if it was a fluke and monitor wear on my guns in the various holsters.

As to why the grain/smooth side of leather doesn't prevent wear and can actually increase wear? In conclusion I came up with two major contributors and they sort of work in conjunction to accelerate wear.

1. The smooth grain surface allows the gun to move around more on the gun when putting pressure against the holster or bumping the gun against things.
2. If you do get dirt and grit in the holster (which with me in ditches and crawling around in and under tractors working in dusty conditions is the ultimate test) the flesh side of the holster has a little place for the grit to lay without being scrubbed right against the guns surface but the smooth grain side lined holster gets imbedded and is grinding the grit right against the guns finish like sandpaper.

Think in terms of a buffing wheel. The harder it is, even though it feels smoother, the more aggressive it is because when you apply the compound your pushing it against the surface of the material harder.

If and when I line holsters I use buckskin or pigskin. I do those for customers on request or for a dress holster.

The holsters I use myself for my Cowboy and hunting guns and in Cowboy action shooting are UNLINED. It still takes a lot of carrying and re holstering to wear the bluing off of the edges.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
I just picked up my very first USFA for personal use; a 5 1/2" CCH/blue American produced model. It's a gorgeous, well built revolver but the bluing comes off easily. I've holstered and and drawn mine several dozen times in the process of walking from my shop to the chronograph then to the shooting bench, back to the shop, etc. and already the bluing is worn from thr front edge of the cylinder from being rubbed against the inside of the holster. No matter....that's why I bought it!

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »
I have always liked Rick's work, and have been buying holsters from him for many years. His stuff is pretty much top of the line.
I don't have any real photos of my USFA's or leather....Just some crummy phone pics.

My Custer Battlefield model in some of Rick's leather.

Out for a day of shooting with my kids. Carrying my Black Powder frame, antiqued, Lew Horton edition Sheriff's Model (s/n SMA-003) with Nutmeg Sports ivories, in a shorty holster Rick made for me years ago.

The picture Jim Alaimo sent me while he was working on the "one piece" ivories for the Sheriff's Model

I shoot my USFA's all the time.

It's why I bought them....

Don't care if they have become collectables.

IMHO, Firearms without personal memories attached to them, will mean nothing to your children. Enjoy your guns with your kids while you are here!
Tom W.
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »
TDW,

Beautiful picture of the Custer in what appears to be a Cheyenne holster and calf skin money belt.  I too ordered Rick's soft money belt, it does indeed appear very supple and comfortable. 

Jared

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »
Jared,
   I (like most of us) have a number of different gun belts. The one in the picture was made in the late 80'/early 90's. Of all my belts, it is the best money I ever spent on leather... Very supple, and I can wear it day in and out without any discomfort.

Can't say enough positive things about Bachman's work. His back-log is testimony to his popularity  ;)

As to the issue of "finish wear". Both my USFA's are antique finished, and most all my holsters from Rick are lined. Can't really tell about wear, but it really isn't noticeable.

Tom
P.S. Correct, that is one of Bachman's Cheyenne holsters and his calf skin money belt. Sorry I didn't ID it in the picture. :)
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »
A few more crummy phone pics....sorry!

My Custer, in a Bachman California Slim Jim, with an original "civilian modified" 1874 Prairie Belt.

My Sheriff's Model (over exposed in the bright sun) in one of Bachman's Wes Hardin rigs. The only unlined holster I have from him.

I can't seem to find my shorty holster....I think my son borrowed it about a year ago and I don't remember him returning it...... ::)

Tom W.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
I like show and tell :-)  Rigs shown left to right, leather lined,  soft leather lined and the final two unlined.  I prefer a hard leather lining on a using rig.  No lining on a simply carry rig.  Holster wear just shows you actually used your guns as intended.  They get bad enough you simply have them refinished.  Personally I like "What's" gun and generally shoot something similar with almost no finish left on the gun.

Two guns with little finish left.....
One is a 100+ years of honest wear from holster and cleaning.  The other modern and intentional.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
Agree with all !!......My kind of thread!  Good leather and well used firearms!  ;) I really like the finish on "what would you say" 's post.
Tom W.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »
Maybe we should start a Bisley club!  ;D  I have a 1912 Bisley, 4 & 3/4, .38 wcf.  Finish is about the same as that in Yahoody's photo.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:03:46 PM »
My Bisley is now a 4th generation family gun that was bought new in 1911.   College graduation present from Great Grandpa to Grandpa.   It is 38 wcf as well.  Nice gaggle of Bisleys here!

What?  I'd bet your Rodeo was either antiques by the previous owner or  a gunfighter finish originally, done by USFA.  By the look of it my guess is factory "gunfighter".   Which would be a very rare gun.

My favorite Rodeo below ;-)

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »
Yahoody,
Everyone should have a "generations gun!"  Mine is a '92 Winchester in 32-20 that my grandfather bought back around 1916 or so.  He gave it to my father who in turn gave it to me one very memorable Christmas morning, many years ago.  I recently had it fully restored (gasp!) with CCH receiver, nitrate bluing and presentation grade wood.  It is a thing of beauty and something that I will pass on to one of my children. 
Next time you are in at DJ's, ask Bruce about the nicest 92 Winchester he has ever seen and I am willing to bet that he will tell you all about mine.
CJF

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:36 PM »
Love to see THAT one!

Bought my original USFA guns from Bruce.  Even traded a nice Colt with carved ivory in on one pair.  Love shopping @ DJ's :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com