Author Topic: Is the Winchester 73 or 92 in any caliber still a viable defense/assault weapon?  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I recall when Winchester went under about 8 or 9 years ago the news was talking about what a big weapon the Lever Action Winchester was and how popular it used to be before everyone took to AR-15s.  

Of course the Winchester/Rossi/Ubert 73/92 is not something I'd like to take into Vietnam or even Iraq or Afghanistan.  BUT, can it still make a viable combat weapon to get you in and out of minor skirmishes, a travel long arm or take care of armed trespassers on your land?   Whether in .45 LC, .44-40, 44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .454 Casull.

Way I see it, the answer CAN definitely be "YES".   Since the pump shotgun is still certainly a viable weapon, I see little reason the lever action rifle could not be.  1) Police used them as long range weapons well into the 1970s, 2) The .44 or .44 caliber weapons essentially make it a "slug" gun with more power, wound cavity and penetration than a handgun, 3) the carbine has 10 shot capacity in what is, by nature, a repeating rifle that can be done fairly swiftly like a shotgun pump.

There is no doubt that whatever the lever action gun can do in combat, an AR can do better.  However, the one thing the lever gun has is simplicity.  it's easy to operate and is more compact and lighter to carry.  

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
A smooth running lever action carbine is still a very viable home defence or survival firearm.  The penetration of the large caliber rounds and the time to reload needs to be considered but in the hands of a cool marksman, they would demand the respect of anyone approaching your position.  They have a good rate of accurate fire up until a reload is required.  Sheriff Jim Wilson had a neat article some time ago about a slightly modified Browning 92 carbine in .44 mag that he carried on duty.  The choice would not be "cool" and is surely not the best choice for a major skirmish, but they continue to work today just as well as they have since 1873.  An added bonus is that they continue to be viewed socially as a hunting firearm and don't have the silly stigma attached to the scary black rifles. 

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Queenshoresman,

Good reply.

The '73 Leaver Action Rifle would be very much like the modern assault rifle within it's time frame.
But, to compare it to the modern gas operated AR-15/M-16 is like comparing apples to oranges.
It is silly and foolish to think otherwise.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
A battle axe is just as effective today as it was 500 years ago.  But do you want to rely on one for self-defense?

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

1) a battle axe is a battle axe and a lever action rifle is a lever action rifle.  several hundred years of difference there.

2) ever hear of the 21 ft. rule?   ;)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
As a military type combat weapon, no. As a defending the home or property against the typical urban/suburban criminal, sure. Depends on the situation.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline TUCO-the-ratt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
One thing a lever gun can do better than a AR in an on going skirmish is the ability to quickly top off as you go.

Still I'd reach for my AR first in an emergency.   

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
A battle axe is just as effective today as it was 500 years ago.  But do you want to rely on one for self-defense?

That would depend I suppose, if that's all you had...on the other hand, not so much if you were married to her  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I love my lever actions but for urban defense, I agree with Clint!  ;)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
That would depend I suppose, if that's all you had...on the other hand, not so much if you were married to her  ;D

If that happens and an intruder breaks in you push her forward and say "don't hurt me, you can take the woman!"

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
I used a M4 (short .223 M-16) and a MP5 (9mm sub gun carbine length) as intended for a lot of years.  Short of the ammo load each carries in one mag (29 rounds), a 10 shot '73 or '92 with HV rifle only ammo (or standard pistol powered ammo) the lever guns have better ammo performance than the 9mm and can have better knock down that a 223.  They just don't have the distance/range of a 223 or easy add ons, like optics..

Viable?  Sure.  Better than?  For a civilian and most LE rural environments the lever gun  gets my  vote.  Hard to argue a M4 in a urban environment for a lot of reasons

If a problem can't be solved with a decent lever gun in a pistol caliber used with a brain and some skill behind it, you'll likely need a squad of ninja killers using M4s and MP5s to get the job done.

Many choices here.  My choice currently for the house long gun is a Henry Trapper with 13 rounds of 200g lead at 1200fps.

A smart man only uses his handgun to get to a rifle  ;D
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Aim for the heart Ramone, aim for the heart.  ::) wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com