Author Topic: Came across this Martini Henry the other day.  (Read 2644 times)

Offline elhombreconnonombre

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Came across this Martini Henry the other day.
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
Reportedly converted to .303. Kyber Pass Special??? I'll get more pics tomorrow. oops how do you post pics?
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Came across this Martini Henry the other day.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »
There are a 'lot' of those coming to these shores from that theater.

While covered with proof marks, none have actually been proofed - the markings are there to impress the tribesmen.

They're interesting - but that's about all.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
As t George said, there are a lot of Khyber Pass ones out there, although there ARE real ones. I don't know enough about them to tell you what to look for, maybe Rattlesnake Jack will come along soon. Otherwise, might be a good idea to ask on Gunboards in the Martini section, or Surplusrifleforum.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:40:10 AM »

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:33:37 PM »
If were able to find one that has been checked out as safe by a certified smith, I would be interested in a period impression of a transvaal boer burgher volunteer. Would such a volunteer have had access and used cap and ball Remingtons or .45 Colt conversions of such from the U.S. during the Zulu wars in support of the British, or even during the first Boer War of independence against the British?
I would assume at least during the Zulu war and first Boer war these Boers would have had access to and used Martini rifles.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:19:07 PM »
I quite seriously doubt any so-called 'smith would even know where to begin when checking out a vintage Martini, much less an Afghan copy.

As to being 'certified' - who does that, besides themselves?

Scouts Out!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:11:48 AM »
While I don't know what they might have actually carried, I can say that such a combo would be acceptable for GAF competitions, where the emphasis is on the rifle used.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »
I understand that for GAF a suitable main battle rifle for the period is the main requirement, and period correct sidearms are secondary, but should be in the realm of reality.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Then look towards Mausers.

The Boers used a very wide variety of weaponry in their battles - keeping them all supplied with ammunition was a continuing logistics problem throughout their fighting.

You 'can' pick and choose - but if you're going to at least make the attempt to be historically accurate, then start looking for a good Mauser sporting rifle or service rifle, since they were pretty proud of them, and those were the closest to be associated with them.

Scouts Out!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »
I have read an article(probably American Rifleman) on the arms of the Boer Wars, and they did indeed carry a multitude of different arms. While the preferred rifle might be a Mauser or Long Lee, there were many single shots represented, including various Martini type rifles in military and sporting configuration. If the Martini-Enfield was listed, I just can't remember.

As for the Remington with a conversion cylinder, while they weren't an issue weapon anywhere as far as I know, it's at least within the realm of possibility that one might have been carried. But, by the late 1890's, they were 30 years out of date, so it wouldn't be likely. However, as I said before, it would be acceptable for our competition. Same would go for the SAA. Reason being, while proper rifles from the time period are readily available, many of the foreign handguns can be pretty pricey.

Concerning the Martini-Enfields, I was looking at them several years ago, one of the importers had them( I think SOG or Century) advertised as originals, BUT many on Gunboards and others who know more than me about Martinis, were sure that they were copies, so I passed on the idea.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »
The Boers had no standardized sidearms, so any commonly available revolver of the period would be acceptable.  Though a Remington revolver of any kind in South Africa would be highly unlikely.  I would look for a Belgian pattern revolver of some type,  most likely a Nagant variation.  Or perhaps even an Iver Johnson top break .38, sold in the millions world wide. 

We have a one gun rifleman class, rifle only.  That would be the most realistic application for any Boer.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »
The Boers used a wide variety of firearms throughout their various wars, with both the Native Africans and the British.  The Boer Republics had no firearm manufacturing capabilities, and got them wherever they could. During the time of the Zulu Wars and First Boer War (1879 and 1880-1881), the preferred weapon (in no particular order) was the 500-450 Wesley-Richards falling-block (AKA "Free State Martini"), the W-R "Monkey Tail" capping breechloader, 577-450 Martini-Henry, and .577 Snider. A small number of 11mm 1871 Mausers.   There were some (few) documented use of Rolling Blocks, Trapdoors and Winchesters from the USA, as well. Many muzzle loaders were still in use, but the convenience and rapidity-of-fire of metallic cartridges was realized early on.  Handguns were probably mostly of European origin, most likely Belgian and British.  Colt sold firearms in England, and many made their way to the Cape, Natal, and Transvaal.  Adams revolvers, both C&B and cartridge, Webley and Enfield revolvers could quite possibly be "liberated" from British prisoners or casualties.

The Second War, 1899-1902 saw extensive use of the Mauser Model 1893 and 1895, in 7MM, and 1889/1891 Mausers in 7.65mm.  Some still had their Martinis from the previous War, but usually used it to acquire a Long Lee from the British.  Handguns from this conflict would probably run the same as before:  Webley, Enfield, a few Colts, and Belgian knock-offs.  French Ordnance, and Nagants would not be out of place.  The Boers used whatever weapons they could buy/smuggle/capture/trade.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com