Author Topic: Dance Revolver  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Dance Revolver
« on: October 30, 2005, 08:41:48 AM »
Anybody shoot a Dance Revolver Reproduction?  http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=883  Curious because of the missing recoil shield.  Also it would go with my persona of a Texas Civil War Vet.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dance Revolver
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 09:37:36 AM »
There's a couple of books that talk about 'real' Dance revolvers that may interest you.

'Dance and Brothers - Texas Gunmakers to the Confederacy' - Wiggins
'Confederate Handguns' - Albaugh, Benet, Simmons

The absence of the recoil shield was determined by Dance to be a practical design - noting that any percussion cap fragments moved laterally - and 'away' from the other caps on the weapon.

Others saw it as a danger - since simultaneous detonation could and did occur.

I'd guess that it's a case of 'You pays yer money and you takes yer chances...'

Modern manufacture and caps are much more reliable than they were during the time.

In any event - the highest 'observed' serial number on originals is 324 - though no one knows an exact number - nor to whom they were issued, since Dance did not have a Government Contract - according to Albaugh, et al.

If you decide against getting one - and portray a Texas Veteran - use 'their' supply system - get a Federal's 1860 Army or 1851 Navy...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 11:25:11 AM »
You could always get the Dance and dress as Geronimo.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:02 PM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 11:46:41 AM »
I've got one.  Haven't shot it yet, but as far as looks, like most Pietta guns, it is a pretty nice gun for the money.  I don't have any concerns about how well it will shoot.  I got mine because it was Texan and unique.

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 07:09:46 PM »
There's a couple of books that talk about 'real' Dance revolvers that may interest you.

'Dance and Brothers - Texas Gunmakers to the Confederacy' - Wiggins
'Confederate Handguns' - Albaugh, Benet, Simmons

The absence of the recoil shield was determined by Dance to be a practical design - noting that any percussion cap fragments moved laterally - and 'away' from the other caps on the weapon.

Others saw it as a danger - since simultaneous detonation could and did occur.

I'd guess that it's a case of 'You pays yer money and you takes yer chances...'

Modern manufacture and caps are much more reliable than they were during the time.

In any event - the highest 'observed' serial number on originals is 324 - though no one knows an exact number - nor to whom they were issued, since Dance did not have a Government Contract - according to Albaugh, et al.

If you decide against getting one - and portray a Texas Veteran - use 'their' supply system - get a Federal's 1860 Army or 1851 Navy...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

I already have a brace of Navies and an 1860 Army with a fluted cylinder.  Just looking at something a bit different.  Debate is going between a Dance and Brothers pistol, a single action Starr, or a Rodeo with 7 1/2 inch barrel as to my next purchase with money made from making holsters. 
# 356056

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 07:11:40 PM »
I have always liked the look of the rounded barrel instead of the normal 1851 Navy barrel.
# 356056

44caliberkid

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:26:36 AM »
I have a Dance Bros. and have shot it at several matches. It is very accurate, yes, I like the round barrel also.  The only trouble with the absence of the recoil shield is that it tends to drop the red hot, just fired cap, into the web of your hand, between the trigger finger and thumb.  Trying to sight your next shot with it sizzling in there is very challenging.  However, after a couple of stages, the nerves are fried and you get a callous in there, so it's not so bad.  I do really like my Dance revolver.  I've seen pictures of a Dance cartridge conversion, that would make a real interesting and different pistola.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 12:24:38 AM »
44 cal Kid,
Maybe you need to sell that sizzling capgun to a lefty like me. I never get cap burns unless I shoot double duelist or two handed.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

44caliberkid

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 08:47:24 AM »
Hellgate, a good solution.   You have helped me out, as I shoot handguns equally well with either hand, I'll just shoot the Dance left handed.  I write left handed, throw, shoot a rifle or handgun with the right hand, and shoot shotgun left handed 'cause my left eye is my master eye.  Never occoured to me to shoot the Dance with the left to avoid the cap problem, thanks.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 09:01:32 AM »
I've got one as well and like shooting it.  Hadn't noticed the burning cap problem, probably because I shoot double-duelist and have always shot it with my left hand.  Didn't even know I'd make a good decision on that until now!  :D

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »
Yep seems a good choice for a lefty like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com