Author Topic: My first (second) belt  (Read 6783 times)

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My first (second) belt
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Howdy,

I'm making a belt and holster with a pro oil walnut dye diluted with isopropyl alcohol and have put several coats on but now the leather is showing some major discoloration, it looks similar to the color you would see with oil mixed with water in a puddle on concrete, having that rainbow look. It's out in the sun drying now but I'm not sure if this is normal or if I ruined my project again..

Sorry for the poor quality images!

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My first (second) belt
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
The color is not going to ruin your project. When your ready if you have not already oil it a little sun it again if you have a mind then finish it up and put what ever top coat you have chosen. Unless you are looking for a 100 percent even color so it looks like it just came off the shelf of some store you have not ruined it you have simply given it character and made it look more like something that has seen time on the trail. Also as you let it set and the dye and the oil have time to migrate through the leather you may see some evebing out of the color. If you look at chuck burrows site http://www.wrtcleather.com/    you will see where he has given his holsters an aged look and on his videos he shows you tricks to get the look you have going.

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
Ah, good news that I have not ruined it! So when you say oil it, I assume you mean with something like 100% virgin olive oil or neatsfoot oil? I only have the virgin olive oil.. and you mentioned putting a top coat, do I condition it before the top coat or after?

I have the eco flo clear matte finish and on my first attempt at this project on a seperate piece of leather I noticed that this finish is pretty good in that it repelled anything that I tried to put on after it such as water, oil, and more dye. But I messed that belt up and couldnt do anything else with it because I did put the finish on..

Edit: the conditioner I have is saddlesoap

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:39:40 AM »

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:09:39 PM »
I'm trying to wet mold the holster in hot water, do I apply the extra virgin olive oil before and let it dry like Camano Ridge said or after?

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
I usually oil mine after dying. and let the oil set at least overnight or so. I use just a finger tip application, don't oil it to heavily. Vrigin Olive oil is fine. You can oil it after molding instead if that is what you want . It won't hurt anything. By top coat I mean sealer so you should do the topcoat or sealer last. I use Skidmores cream or Montan Pitch blend. Some people use Resolene cut 50/50 with water or even Mop n Glo cut 50/50 with water. It is your choice , however you will definately want to seal it with something. The matte finish you have will work fine. Since you have already wetted the holster mold it, let it dry. then put a little oil on it. THe oil works as a conditioner and you really don't need to use saddle soap on it. Unless you want to. The saddle soap may darken thing up even more for you.

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
Thanks for your advice Camano Ridge, now hopefully I can see this project through to a good end!

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
I f your holster will hold a gun and your belt will hold the holster that is all that matters it will come out to a good end.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »
That's going to look great with oil on it. The slight variations will be beautiful. The dark color on this holster looked much like that until I oiled it. I look forward to seeing your finished rig. 8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Well Marshal, That's some beautiful tooling you got there,very nice. I see what you mean with the color too, though mine may not be quite like that haha.
I reckon I'll have to post a picture of the finished product here then and if yall wanna critique it that'd help me learn!

I did Like Camano said and I applied the oil by finger and rubbing it in across the belt on every piece. After I finished the piece once, I went over it again right after. It's in the sun drying now and last night I soaked the holster in 120-125 degree water for about 30-40 minutes then put the wrapped gun in the holster and wrapped that in a towel to dry and that's in the sun also because it was still wet this morning. I sewed a few spots to keep it together but I'm kinda thinking I should've sewn it completely before soaking in the hot water.. what do yall think?

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »
Rockbox, I for western holsters I prefer to stitch my holster first so I basicaly have a complete holster. I then wet it then in sert the unloaded gun, if not stainless you may want to wrap it in plastic wrap then insert it. I shape the holster as much or as little as I want depending on the look I am going for. On western it is usualy just lightly molded to the gun. THen let dry. I think you will find soaking 30 - 40 minutes is unecessary. I either give it a quick dunk or run it under warm water till it is pliable, in most cases 30 seconds is plenty. If you want a pretty stiff holster put it in the sun to dry or if your oven goes down to 170 degreees, put it in the oven for about ten to fifteen minutes with out the gun, when done re insert the gun and continue to let dry. I generaly leave the gun in the holster for an hour or so until I am sure I have the shape then remove the gun and let continue to dry. THis is just my way of doing it there are many ways that work for other people.

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »
Thanks for that tip Camano, I will definately try that technique out for my next holster as it seems to save a good deal of time. I finally finished this rig, we had a couple weeks of nothing but bad weather and my shop leaks and conveniently it leaked right where I was working and had the leather sitting and it completely soaked it after I was trying to let it dry from the extra virgin olive oil... So after the luck I've had with the weather and then that, I was mad. But, I thought about it for a minute and figured while it was wet I may as well put another coat of dye on it. And it turned out for the better.

Here is the finished product:

After learning some good information on holsters, I would've lined the holster with a 2-3oz pig skin to help protect the finish of the gun, but this holster was mainly to see how it would turn out sticking to the pattern as is.

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Rockbox, it looks like it turned out just about perfect. I htink any cowboy would be proud to wear that, espescially after all the effort you put into it.

Offline rockbox

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 10:34:30 PM »
Thank you! It was a good learning process! With your feedback Camano Ridge and others on here, I was able to save alot of trouble so thanks gentlemen!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 12:31:03 AM »
The rain and extra dye really helped. Very nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
That's going to look great with oil on it. The slight variations will be beautiful. The dark color on this holster looked much like that until I oiled it. I look forward to seeing your finished rig. 8)

I think i need a Marshall holster for my collection :) :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
Thanks for that tip Camano, I will definately try that technique out for my next holster as it seems to save a good deal of time. I finally finished this rig, we had a couple weeks of nothing but bad weather and my shop leaks and conveniently it leaked right where I was working and had the leather sitting and it completely soaked it after I was trying to let it dry from the extra virgin olive oil... So after the luck I've had with the weather and then that, I was mad. But, I thought about it for a minute and figured while it was wet I may as well put another coat of dye on it. And it turned out for the better.

Here is the finished product:

After learning some good information on holsters, I would've lined the holster with a 2-3oz pig skin to help protect the finish of the gun, but this holster was mainly to see how it would turn out sticking to the pattern as is.

Looks like the buissness end of gettin somethin done~Better let me test that one fer ya.. ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
 :o The end result turned out very well!
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com