Author Topic: Newbie reloader question  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie reloader question
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
I say I am new but I have reloaded rifle ammo about 30yrs ago.
Anyway, I am reloading .38 Specials and .357 magnums. When I put the amount of powder from the load data chart in the case it doesn't even look half full. Will this still ignite ok or do I need a filler?
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Newbie reloader question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
Are you talking smokeless or BP?  With smokeless adding filler to .38s and .357 is downright dangerous.  There are always a few wire "experts" that will say they've done it for years.  However, every factory says that adding filler can raise pressures to dangerous levels.  I prefer to believe the people that make the stuff.

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »
I am talking smokeless.....but I hadn't thought about the fact it would raise pressures. But now it makes sense not to add fillers. But it just seemed like the primer would have trouble setting off the powder with so little in the case.

New Britain, CT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:25:25 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
I load a lot of .38 Special Cartridges with Trail Boss. Using factory load data the cases are slightly less than half full.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
I just found my answer after a lot of searching on various forums. I know I am planning on loading some up with BP but I know to just fill the case with that.

Thanks anyway

Billy

New Britain, CT

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:40 AM »
I agree with the guys above. It may look like a small amount but it should have no problem firing off. I load 38 spl for both my Rugers and my 1873 and have had no problem with either of them using regular small pistol primers. I have talked to a few long time cowboy shooters that when they load way to the low end of a powders recommended range, they will use a magnum primer to insure a full burn. If you are using the manufacturers load data and you use a magnum primer while loading 38s You will not come close to exceeding the pressures that a gun made to handle a 357 magnum. The key to this is NEVER exceed the powder manufacturers load data. The people that make the powders know what they are doing. Trust the experts! I usually load at mid range. If the powder for the bullet weight is say 4.2 gns to 5.2 gns max, I will load at
4.8 gns. I have used magnum primers for this and they work well but then again, I have not had any problem with regular primers either.  If you get signs of not a complete burn such as granules left in the case or a round that doesn't sound or feel the same, then try a magum primer. It may work better for the powder you are using. Just a thought. D.D.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
I wonder how many million rounds of .38 have been loaded with 3.0 to 3.5 grains of Bullseye? And that probably doesn't even fill a fourth of the case. Some powders are more sensitive to that than others, but as stated above, when you stick to the manufacturers recommendations, it will work fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com