Author Topic: Need load data for 200 grain LRN 45LC bullet using Tin Star powder (N32c)  (Read 11519 times)

I had an earlier post asking about Trail Boss and Tin Star – and I thank those who replied and provided information.  Much appreciated.

I have decided that I’m going to give them both a try to see what I think of them, but am having trouble finding loading data for the Tin Star.  Lots of information for Trail Boss, but not much for Tin Star.  Very limited.

Does anybody know of loading data for Vihtavuori Tin Star (N23c) when loading 45LC 200 grain bullets?  I can’t find any load data for this anywhere.

Vihtavuori does give load data for a 251 grain 45LC bullet using Tin Star.  They recommend 8.3 grains of Tin Star (N32c) with that bullet and say it gives velocities of about 889 fps.

They also give load data for 200 grain 45LC bullets using N320 and N330.  They recommend 6.8 grains of N320 and said it gave velocities of about 850 fps, and they said 8.0 grains of N330 would give velocities of about 876 fps.

But they give no loading data for the 200 grain bullet using Tin Star.

The only thing they say is that “Tin Star is about midway between N320 and N330”.  That’s it.

So does anybody know of a “tried & true” charge of Tin Star for a 200 grain 45LC bullet?

Considering they (VV) say that Tin Star is about mid way between N320 and N330, would it be safe to go with a charge based on that?  For example, if they recommend 6.8 grains of N320 for a 200 grain bullet, and 8.0 grains of N330 for a 200 grain bullet – and they say Tin Star is half way between the two – could you start with a charge of 7.4 grains of Tin Star for the 200 grain bullet and see what kind of pressures and velocities you get?

I don’t know WHY they do not give load data for the 200 grain bullet using Tin Star.  If anybody has any information on this I’d sure appreciate knowing.  Is it because the lighter bullet does not do well with that powder – or is it that they just didn’t think anybody would be shooting anything other than the traditional 250 grain bullets in CAS?

Apparently nobody in CAS shoots 200 grain bullets with Tin Star!   ;) ;D

Okay, back to the drawing board ....................

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got the latest 'Handloader' magazine with the article on Tin Star. Data is still scarce right now but as the powder becomes more available, this will change.

I'm going to load up some .44 Russian with it and see what happens; 4.5 grs with both 200 and 240 gr bullets. If they are a success, I'll load some 44-40 and after that, .45 Colt.

I find VanDenburg's bullet selection odd.: 250 gr. in .44 Russian (never a traditional weight), 250 in .44 Spl. (same), 250 in .44 mag. (same).
No comments on loading density compared to Trail Boss (up to the base of the bullet with no compression), just a comment that Tin Star is slower burning than Trail Boss.

He loaded both .38 Spl. and .357 with 5 grs, but used a small Rifle primer with the .357 as per Vihtavuori's recommendation. Huh? But with the .44 mag load, they do NOT recommend a Large Rifle primer.  Both magnum cases are 1/10th" longer than the non-magnum cases, so what's the difference?

I hate unexplained stuff like that.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
In his recent 'Handloader' article, VanDenburg loaded 8.3 Tin Star under 250 gr .45 Colt bullets. In 200/44-40, 7.5 grs.

Take it from there ..... I'd start with 8 grs.

Apparently nobody in CAS shoots 200 grain bullets with Tin Star!   ;) ;D

Okay, back to the drawing board ....................
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
I bought a pound of Tin Star today, and loaded it in 45 Colt.

My Lyman powder measure was set up to throw 5.5 gr. of Trail Boss.  I did not change the setting, and filled it with Tin Star.  It threw 7.3 gr. of Tin Star.  I loaded a single cartridge for a test firing, with 200 gr. RNFP lead bullet, and report and recoil is almost identical to Trail Boss.  There is no excess pressure sign.  I think 8.0 grains would be more gratifying.  But in the meantime, I'll test this 7.3 gr. load for velocity and accuracy.  Very pleasant to shoot.  Staining on cases, out of my SAA 45 Colt, is almost identical - negligible.  We'll see how the Colt Lightning likes the load.

That sounds very promising Gabriel and I thank you for the information.  I'm sure I'm not the onlyl one who will be watching to see the range results and your conclusions.

This is a great site.  Thanks to all you fellows for your help and advice.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I just loaded 50 .44 Russian cases with 5 grs of Tin Star and 200 RNFP's. Why 5 grs? One of my RCBS 'Li'l Dandy' rotors threw that charge. The next largest threw a heftier weight.
That charge is just short of touching the bottom of the bullet using Star-Line brass. In other words, the case would hold more without compression, something to avoid when using trail Boss, so we're told.

I'll be shooting them tomorrow night at our indoor range along with loads using 4.5 Trail Boss. We'll see which my Uberti Russian S&W prefers .....

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Well, I'm here to tell you that 5 grs of Tin Star with 200 gr bullets in a .44 Russian is a pretty warm load! I got a knuckle rap from the spur trigger guard even with a firm two hand hold.
I quit after two cylinder loads. Recoil was definitely up there, in the range of what I'd expect with a .44 Spl.

I think they would be more comfortable shot in my Ruger Flat Top .44 Spl.'s and that is what is going to be done with the remaining rounds.Dropping the charge by a full grain will be the next attempt.

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
My local gun store just got a bunch of Tin Star, but did not buy because I could not find any load data for the 45 C - 200 gr LRNFP. and earlier post suggested 7.3 gr back in Jan '14.
Any further suggestion?

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
There doesn't seem to be much for load data with N32C. It does not meter well with some powder measures and will bridge in some of the smaller openings. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Interesting, everybody keep reporting for 45 LC !

By the way the Vandenberg article mentions 3 or is it 4 loads for 45/70 and TinStar. Two are shown in the tables and a couple more in the text, if I remember correctly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com