Author Topic: New to Cascity Howdy!  (Read 2767 times)

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to Cascity Howdy!
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »
Howdy, New here and wanted to say hi to you all. Been reading these forums for a few months now and getting interested in cowboy shootin.  Been shootin for a long time but not the older type firearms. Have picked up a few older firearms over the years and have never shot them. Also have been reloading for the newer firearms but not the old ones. Just starting to get interested in them after reading some post here. Have a few older Winchesters 73, 92, 94 and a few SAA colts that were all made in the middle to later 1890's. Was wondering if they are safe to shoot modern smokeless powder. Does anyone have a date when the manufactures started building their firearms for smokeless powder? Thanks for any info you  can provide and looking forward to any and all info I can get from you guys. Again many thanks!

Offline Trueno

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New to Cascity Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:59 AM »
A big Texas howdy to ya there Rockin' and welcome to the CAS forums. I'm somewhat a newb to the forum too, still digging through all the resources it has to offer. On the smokeless vs black powder, the quickest and most commonly accepted method of determining if a SAA is good to go with smokeless is to make sure it doesn't have a black powder frame.

Easiest tipoff on a BP frame is the setscrew that holds the cylinder/base pin in.

A Smokeless frame will have the more common spring-loaded assy that operates side-to-side.

Only caveat I can think of is that some newer guns (clones) built to resemble older BP actually use more modern steels and are fully capable of handling Smokeless. Ask here or contact the manuf if they're still around.

disclaimer: Me, if it's a 1960 or newer clone I'll use smokeless in it.

Again, welcome to the forum!

t

Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
RockingR, it depends on how you approach the game. If you are asking can you load a 1st gen Colt SAA, a 2nd gen Colt SAA, or a 3rd gen Colt with a warm smokeless round, I would say no. However, in this game it ain't necessary.

I would not load any 1st gen with smokeless. These were produced until 1941. The 2nd gen is stronger and if I remember correctly, the approved for smokeless guns started in the mid 50s. Colt ceased production in the 40s and started again when the B Westerns created a renewed interest in the SA.

3rd gens are OK with smokeless within reason.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:06:06 AM »

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
Big Hello from Canada's East Coast!
I can't offer any advice , just a welcome to the Forum . Love shooting and especially this CAS.
Enjoy

dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »
Research:

" Colt did not warranty any SAAs for smokeless powder ammunition until serial number 192000 in 1900."

http://americanhandgunner.com/a-colt-single-action-primer/
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
Thanks fellas for the replies.  Your help has been appreciated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk