Author Topic: '48 Baby Dragoon  (Read 6169 times)

Offline BlackHillsScout

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'48 Baby Dragoon
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
 I was thinking about how the .22 shortage is affecting some of things I do. One of which is working on the trapline, I help a couple of buddies when I have time. And then I remembered how Elmer Keith preferred using a baby Dragoon in .31 caliber, stating that there was less damage to a pelt and less of a crack noise wise disturbing other potential game.
 He stated that the old gent that showed him that, said it was about the only use he had for a .31

I have always liked the baby dragoon, never owned one but I shot a fellow reenactor's a time or two.
Might be a good substitute for a .22 pistol on the trapline or small game hunting.

Anybody have much experience with one? Fits right in our timeframe.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: '48 Baby Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:54 AM »
Scout: I think you are onto a pious idea there. A lot of us completely forget the fact that Colt's .31 revolvers --especially the 1849s -- outsold all other Colt handguns with 325,00 manufactured from 1850 to 1873. In spite of their relative lack of power, they must have brought great comfort to their owners, tucked into a coat pocket or a purse -- and those owners outnumbered the proponents of the Army and Navy pistols.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
Scout, my caveat to you is that they lack the power to do any real damage at a distance. I fired mine at a sheet of thin metal from an old office bureau using 10g of FFF at 15 yards and the shot didn't penetrate. I actually found it in the dirt 3 ft. in front of the target. There was a 20' space between the target and the hillside so I cant blame the customary bag backing.
I don't recommend it for a varmint gun at all. It's a whole lot of fun for short range "parlor" shooting and is a nice personal protection piece for the era but will likely maim animals instead of insure a quick kill. Because it's BP, it may also be a violation of state hunting laws so you may want to look into that as well.

If you are looking to use it in finishing off trapped game, you have powder spray that can spoil the pelt. If you are dispatching small game, save the bullet by seizing a firm hold on the feet and with your other hand grab the animal at the base of the skull, then give a sharp jerk with a twist. It will ensure a humanely instant kill. I learned this method when I got into falconry.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:00 PM »

Offline BlackHillsScout

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
Thanks for replies, most of the trapping myself and buddies do is for beaver, muskrat using connibears and drownings sets for beaver. Very few actually need dispatched and short club will work on coons.

I was interested in it's use on rabbits and squirrels, but from some of your experiences I will probably stick with my '61 navy .36. It does a fine job on small game.

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
+1 t-dave.
 I run a trap line and from time to time i'll make period sets using a couple of period traps. been there done that. the little .31 caliber only makes a mad bob cat madder. I have gotten now that I rarely shoot a trap critter. I choke out bob cats with a heavy duty animal catcher, and give coyotes a knock on the head with my trowel and lay it across there ribs and stand on it and pull there back feet towards there head.it finishes them off just as quick as shooting them doesn't damage the pelts and keeps the critter for slinging blood all over your set.
 of course there are exceptions, some time you run into a cat or coyote that's just a little more tough than the rest
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 02:23:42 AM »
I own two Uberti 1849 baby dragoon revolvers. I am impressed with what they will do or wont do depending on
what powder and ball size you use. I prefer to use 3fg size of Hogdons Tripple Seven behind a .315 to .319 round ball.
At 25 yards the ball will punch into a 2 x 4 an eighth of an inch deeper than the ball size. At 2 feet the ball will punch completely
thru a 2 x 4. I am impressed with the little 32 but prefer the .44 Dragoon.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:30:06 AM »
I'm imagining myself on a trap line fussing with the paraphernalia and wherewithal to reload a '49 Colt under less than ideal conditions..... doesn't seem that practical of an idea. If any gun is going to throw a shoe at the most inopportune moment, it will be a cap & ball gun.
We have an ongoing discussion across the DMZ with regard to the packing of what the RCMP considers to be an 'antique' revolver. They are exempt registration and you don't need to be a licenced gun owner to own one either. While we cannot legally hunt with a handgun, pre-1898 'antiques' are an exception. The problem is that most come in such anaemic calibres as to render them virtually useless against any critter larger than a rabbit.

While it provides an excuse for packing a handgun in our gun-paranoid society, those who insist on exercising their rights in this regard are setting themselves up for a high risk takedown if reported by some well meaning do-gooder and having the awkward job of proving either on the spot or in court that you are not breaking the law. Difficult to do while face down in the dirt. Most LEOs are not aware of this exemption.

While walking our dogs, my wife and I have been charged three times by the same bear, the last charge stopping a scant 15 yds away before the bear stopped. I was carrying my Shiloh 50-70 carbine - one shot and then I would have an expensive club.

I own two 'antique' revolvers (.450/.455) and I can't think of a more useless gun to have under those conditions. Short of sticking the muzzle in the bear's ear, all it would do is make it likely that the bear and I would die together.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
I believe Elmer Keith to be correct on his evaluation of the .31 cal. baby dragoon, as well as the wisdom in alternative
methods of dispatching an animal in a trap. But here on the great plains we seldom encounter any bears. Hunting Bison
with ML rifles is still a sport at Buffalo Ranches in Kansas and Nebraska. I dont know if a 650 grain tipped 50/70 would be
a solution to your grizzly bear problem or not.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
The bear I mentioned was not a Grizzly, although it is common to run across their tracks around here. Most bear encounters are with black bears, especially since people are shooting fewer bears these days.

You won't find many 50-70 shooters using 650 gr bullets, especially in rifles with the slow 1x36" twist where they tumble badly.
My new carbine has the faster 1x26" modern twist and while it did stabilize 600 gr bullets, the recoil was not pleasant. I shoot more Lyman 515141/450 gr and Rapine 375 gr bullets in the carbine.

Either will do fine on bears. I've taken two 400 lb black bears with my 50-70 rifle, both with the Lyman bullet. Based on the experience, I would think it a marginal round for Grizzlies and then only well under 100 yds. Someone with a back up rifle in .375 H&H would be a comfort.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
Love the little Open Top .31 myself.
The little round balls and some FFFF powder makes a nice little plinker .
With a R&D cylinder and some 32 S&W shorts its a fun little gun to plink also .
Just sayin
Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
Kirst now makes a .22lr Konverter that works very well in Uberti .31 '48/'49's as well as .36 Pockets. I've gone to the effort to reload .22lr with 4Fg powder. Very impressive boom and smoke plume. Those early Smith & Wesson Tip Ups certainly had more bark than bite but I don't think being on the receiving end would have been any fun at all. 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com