Author Topic: The Dance is done.  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Dance is done.
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:16 PM »
I got the new Pietta Dance in shape to shoot. Slixshot nips on the way. The hammer has a nice U notch and the other notch is filled.
Interior parts are slicked up and main spring thinned. Grips stripped, refinished and now nicely fit the grip frame. The triggerguard has been rounded and slimmed cause that's the way I like em. I had to adjust the wedge a bit. I also opened up the cylinders to handle .454 balls like my Ubetis. The gun balances well and just feels nice and smooth. Good purchase. Cabelas had em for $269 but Dixie was $349.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: The Dance is done.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:37:52 PM »
Nice work! 
I have often wondered if an 1860 Kirst Conversion would fit that frame?

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:57:03 PM »
Nice work! 
I have often wondered if an 1860 Kirst Conversion would fit that frame?
Don't know but it's probably a basic 1860 Army frame size and an Army cylinder sans engraving and a Navy size grip. I bet if you sent it to Kirst's gunsmith in Texas, he could tell you. Maybe he's fit one already. One thing for sure, you don't have to cut the loading channel, heh. Might look a tad odd.
It's probably the small navy grip that makes this gun feel like a real hog leg. Lots of barrel hanging out there.
I read someone put a Pietta Army grip to get a handle on it. I like it the way it is.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:11:59 AM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
I don't think an 1860 conversion will fit, it appears that the Dance doesn't have a rebated cylinder. Maybe a Dragoon?

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
I don't think an 1860 conversion will fit, it appears that the Dance doesn't have a rebated cylinder. Maybe a Dragoon?
Don't really know. Have not checked out Pietta to see if they make a Dragoon.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
Hadn't considered that, but I don't think they do make one. The Dance may have it's own unique cylinder.

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »
Hadn't considered that, but I don't think they do make one. The Dance may have it's own unique cylinder.
Well, my curiosity is up so I emailed Gary (Hoofhearted) to see what he thinks. j

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 03:49:59 AM »
The Pietta Dance repro uses their own '60 Army frame. Original Dance revolvers used a Navy frame for the .36 and an approximation of a Dragoon frame for the .44:

http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20americaine/revolver%20confedere/a%20revolver%20confedere%20dance%20gb.htm

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:14 AM »
The Pietta Dance repro uses their own '60 Army frame. Original Dance revolvers used a Navy frame for the .36 and an approximation of a Dragoon frame for the .44:

http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20americaine/revolver%20confedere/a%20revolver%20confedere%20dance%20gb.htm

According to that information it looks like they changed the design new every new batch. 
The Pietta Dance design has no rebated frame and it does not have the front of the cylinder enlarged.  So it must have a unique frame and a '60 conversion probably would not work without some customizing.  I have a '60 Kirst cylinder if you want some dimensions.

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
According to that information it looks like they changed the design new every new batch. 
The Pietta Dance design has no rebated frame and it does not have the front of the cylinder enlarged.  So it must have a unique frame and a '60 conversion probably would not work without some customizing.  I have a '60 Kirst cylinder if you want some dimensions.
Thanks for the offer but I now have a 1860 army being converted to a Kirst cylinder and made into a snubbie. When it gets back, I'll check the cylinder out against the Dance. The gun appears to be a 1860 size frame with a straight cylinder and a Dragoon styled barrel assembly.  I'll find out later. Not in any rush. The barrel is almost identical in size to a 1860 army. Pretty interesting gun. I like it.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Pietta either lowered the frame all the way back, or raised the arbor center.  I know that ASM lowered the frame channel on their 71 Opentop, making the floor very thin and the bolt almost unserviceable.  I don't think Pietta would do that.  The arbor location of the Uberti 71 Opentop would allow the cylinder to be straight.  That would mean the barrel is exclusive as well.

If the cylinder diameter matches the forward section of the 1860, then the 1860 cylinder would not work, as the bolt wouldn't reach the cylinder notches, which on an 1860, are on the Navy sized end of the cylinder.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com