Author Topic: 2nd Fla Confederate Cavalry Relatives/Reenactors  (Read 1086 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2nd Fla Confederate Cavalry Relatives/Reenactors
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »
Hello,

I know it is a long reach, but I am trying to learn more about my great-grandfather, who served (kinda) with the Second Fla Cavalry about 1862 on .... under a Capt Gwynn ...

Any day-to-day history of the unit (or his life) would be very appreciated ....

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: 2nd Fla Confederate Cavalry Relatives/Reenactors
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
GW Gwynn was a First Lieutenant in Co. D

Captain P. B Brokaw would have comanded Watson Ellis in Company D - 2nd Florida Cavalry "Tallahassee Guards"  previously Captain Brokaw's Company, Mounted Volunteers.

The Second Cavalry Regiment was organized with 1,190 men during the late spring of 1862. Its members were from Melton and Tallahassee, and the counties of St. John, Marion, Gadsden, and Madison. The unit was attached to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and served in Florida throughout the war. It fought at Olustee, Gainesville, and Braddock's Farm, and surrendered at Tallahassee on May 10, 1865. Colonel Caraway Smith, Lieutenant Colonel Abner H. McCormick, and Major Robert Harrison were in command.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
Major 2,

I get little bits of info from my mother's side of the family ... according to one source, he was assigned away to do harassment against the wagon train resupplying Sherman's March to the Sea ... makes sense to me, but it makes tracing him very hard ....

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:54:08 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com