Author Topic: S&W 4th model  (Read 3233 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
S&W 4th model
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
I just picked up this sweet little S&W 4th model in .32 S&W short.  Its just a little thing and would fit nicely in a pocket or ladies handbag.  I figure it was made in the late 1880 or early 1890s.  I've never had a break top revolver before so this is something a little different.  It seems to be in good mechanical shape and has a good, but not perfect bore.  It locks up tight, has nice grips and still has a fair mount of bluing left. 

Anybody else have one of theses or similar little .32 revolver? 

I've got a box of factory ammo, probably from the 1960s.  Also have dies and brass, but need some bullets.  I'll load up some BP or maybe APP loads for it.  What loads have you used for .32 S&W?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: S&W 4th model
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
being a newbie to the block, I'm hardly qualified, but David Chicoine recommends only B.P. in the older top breaks.  Sure looks like a nice pistol.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
Good advice.  I may see if I can pull the lead bullets from the factory ammo and reload with APP or 3F BP.  I see that Midway has cast bullets for the .32, so I may buy a box to try out.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:28:42 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Hi,

The Club I shot with had a mandatory stage for a pocket pistol ...

So I bought this one:

I sent it to Big T (online here; he is a SASS member), and he made me these grips:

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
That's a beauty, original holster too?  What loads do you shoot?

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
Try here http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-antiques/ for more info on ammunition, etc.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  I just pulled the bullets on 10 rounds of factory ammo.  Dumped the smokeless powder and replaced it with a full case of APP 3F.  Then reseated the original 85 gr bullet. Now I can test fire it. 

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »
That's a very nice Pistola ndnchf". Hope you give us a report on how the little S&W shoot's,,,Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com