Author Topic: Recoil bushing  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recoil bushing
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »
Hi,
I have an Colt Model 1878 ca 1994 that has a recoil bushing.  Was this a standard feature on the mod 1878.  On another board they are discussing a problem that the Texas rangers had with the 44-40 Saa.  The cartridges would back out of the chambers when fired and lock the action.
Regards
Colt

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Recoil bushing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »
Recoil plates were standard starting on the Colt SAA. The design was first implemented the year before by S&W at the behest of the Russian inspectors in house at their plant for the Russian Model.

The infamous Colt 44-40 story is misunderstood by many today. It had nothing to do with the gun and everything to do with the primitive ammo of the time in the 1870's. However, recently I had the same thing happen in a modern Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum using factory Win. ammo in that a primer ruptured thereby locking up the gun solid as a rock. I had to beat the cylinder open with a large plastic gunsmithing hammer. Although far less common today due to better manuf. processes & metals, this was far more common in the 19th century when metallic cartridges were in their infancy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com