Author Topic: Need some advice on the best mold for casting 250 grain RNFP slugs  (Read 5513 times)

Gentlemen,

Okay, I know these “which is the best” questions can be a pain, but I don’t know of any other way to approach this.

I’m new to casting and need some help picking a mold suitable for CAS shooting.  I’m a long time shooter and re-loader, but the casting thing is a whole new game to me.

I want to cast 250 grain RNFP slugs - obviously for CAS shooting.

There seem to be a number of options out there for molds ranging from cheaper factory (bulk produced) molds such as Lee, to more expensive molds from custom makers.

I don’t mean this to sound as if money is no object, because it is, but I’d rather pay more for the mold to start with and have a good one than buy a cheaper one, not be satisfied, and end up buying another one anyway.

One I’m contemplating right now is made by Accurate Molds.  I don’t know anything about them, but they seem to be a very reputable company.  Other names I’ve heard are Mihec and NOE.  Again, I know nothing about them, and I don’t even know if they make molds for the 250 grain RNFP slug.

Can some of you more experienced casters offer advice on this?  If you wanted to get the BEST mold you could lay hands on for that style of bullet – what would you get?

I’d prefer a 5 or 6 cavity if possible as I assume that would speed up production.

Thanks in advance for your help

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Need some advice on the best mold for casting 250 grain RNFP slugs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
Can we assume that you're talking about a .45 caliber bullet?

I will say that I have been more than pleased with Accurate Molds.  I have had Tom make me two and they are fantastic.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »
Yes, I'm sorry.  This would be for the 45LC single action.

Advertising

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
There is nothing at all wrong with the "cheaper factory molds" you mentioned.  Lee is about the least expensive and they consistently produce excellent bullets.  Lee bullets tend to have two small lube grooves instead of one larger one, so I prefer RCBS and Lyman molds.  Lyman has two different 250 RNFP molds - one is bevel base with a crimp groove and the other is flat base without a crimp groove.  If you're loading for a tube magazine rifle the crimp groove is better.  Just about every mold maker has a 45, 250 RNFP, so look 'em over and pick the one you like best.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
Thanks guys.  I guess I'm kind of hijacking my own thread here, so I'll go start another one, but the more I look into this the more I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at using 180 to 200 grain slugs.  Everything I'm being told indicates that there is much less recoil, etc, with the lighter bullet - and that makes it better to shoot for CAS where you don't really "need" the heavy 250 slug.  I'm going to post another thread asking for some opinions on that.  I'm not concerned about the extra lead, but the recoil thing might be an issue.  Less muzzle climb is a good thing.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
In a SAA and other Cas guns at Cas range, you'll never notice any difference.   Long range with cast bullets is a whole different animal and a good knowledgeable caster will get better bullets out of a cheap Lee mould than most new guys will get out of the best custom mould. 

Kinda like buying a Ferrari just to drive the 1/2 mile to work.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
Frank,
My first choice would be Accurate Mold 45-250Y.  It has robust driving bands, adequate lube capacity and a  good nose profile & length which will = the standard .45 Colt cartridge OAL, whereas the Lee 255 RNFP = .06” shorter which could be an issue in some rifles that may be fussy about the OAL.

I have Accurate, Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Magma and a couple of other types and I like Accurate Molds the best for 2 reasons… 1.) tapered alignment pins which are better over the long haul as compared to the straight alignment pins of the others (exception Lee) 2.) one can select a specific bullet diameter.  In addition, I personally like 3 cavity molds (one of the options) which makes 50% more bullets than  the standard 2 cavity offering of the others in the same amount of time.

Also, today with the lack of inventory on many molds, at least one can expect delivery for an Accurate mold in a reasonable amount of time.

Accurate 45-250Y
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-250Y-D.png

The Lyman 452664 would be a good one as well although I prefer the more streamlined nose of the Accurate 45-250Y.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=32

The Lyman 452190 is the traditional .45 Colt bullet but the nose is .20”  which is smaller than the primer if used in a repeating rifle and it does not have a pronounced crimp groove.

If you were thinking of shooting b.p. in a 45 Colt rifle, the Accurate 45-260F works great and the added lube capacity is not too much for smokeless shooting as well.
Accurate 45-260F http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-260F-D.png

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com