Author Topic: .32 Long Colt ,Need Help  (Read 329570 times)

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .32 Long Colt ,Need Help
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
Recently saw a TV program which included scenes of a gamekeeper on a private English estate cropping excess deer with the aid of a suppressor so as not to worry the neighbors.  I've read that there & elsewhere in Europe there's actually less red tape required to obtain one than in Obamaland.  When suppressors were first put on the market they were advertised for use in similar situations, where the noise of shooting would be objected to by nearby residents--the very problem that has forced the closure of many ranges.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
In England suppressors are strongly encouraged while culling deer, or other forms of rifle hunting.  Fully silenced .410's and 20 gauges are also quite popular.  The problem of Mrs  Muggins and her little dog, Fluffy, exercising their right to use rights of way, are a constant irritant to deer stalkers.

Yes; Those are the generic names used by the shooting fraternity.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
Suppessor's ,or Silencer's have been leagl to hunt with in Texas since 9-1-12 .Handy on wild -hog, and predator's at night.Took the 1892 Marlin to the range today. Tried three Load's . Here are a couple pic's of the group's the little rifle turned in. Shooting on sand bag's Tang sight ,@ 25yd. and 50yd. Was very happy with the groups . Not bad for old timer's( Me and the Rifle),,,,,,Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 05:17:12 PM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:25 PM »
Heck Yeah Dusty, that's mighty fine shooting from both you oldsters ;)  Maybe one of these days I'll buy some of that newfangled Trail Boss powder and give it a tray.  It sure seems to work well for you.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Thank's Indian Chief,The first time I tried Trail boss  in the 32 LC I was not impressed with the accuracy . I droped 1/2 gr. and it started to group realy well with both bullets. I will admit it is a very mild load ,but who cares . I enjoy plinking with a mild load. If I need horsepower I can choose the 30wcf. Today I shot about 40 round's out of the little Marlin. And feel like I am getting in tune with it. Kinda getting to know each other so to speak. Think the more I shoot the little rifle the better it get's. ,,,,,Dusty

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
The first time I tried Trail boss  in the 32 LC I was not impressed with the accuracy . I droped 1/2 gr. and it started to group realy well with both bullets.

Never used TB, but usually, for me, it's the other way around:  the light, plinking, loads I'm TRYING to develop with Unique or 4227 result in unburned powder & mediocre accuracy.  Sometimes try Bullseye as well, though I'm rather afraid of the stuff.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2013, 07:17:56 AM »
Hey Adirondacker, The Trail Boss burn's complete in the 2.5 gr. charge under the 299153 and the 31-090A,  .I am using my own lube with the 299153 bullet.It is the same lube I use on all my bp. cartridge's .40% lard or tallow ,40%wax and 10% olive oil by volume. Has worked good for me . yesterday i shoot about 40 round's through the 92 ,and the last shot's were Swiss bp. The clean-up on the bore was very quick and easy. ,,,,Dusty

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »
Dusty - earlier you mentioned loading both 1.5 and 2.0gr of TB in the .32 SC case.  Do you consider 1.5gr to be a very mild load?  I expect your Mariln has a stronger action than my little RRB.  If I were to try this powder, I would defininately want to keep it very mild.  The factory SC and LC I shot both felt milder than my Pyrodex and BP loads, so I'm wondering if your TB load is simillar to the factory rounds.  I haven't loaded smokeless in many years, but I still have some Unique and 5744 on he shelf.  Do you have any experience with these in the .32?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »
ndnchf" The only Smokless powder I have tried in the .32 LC is the Trailboss.I have tried the 1.1/2 gr. TB in the SC and the 2 gr. in LC .3 gr. is a case full in my .78 case .The 2 .1/2 gr. load of TB fill's the case to the base of the 299153 bullet ,is accurate and very mild. I have not shot any factory loaded round's in my 32. so I cant compare. But can say the Swiss bp. and Pyrodex load's seem to be quite a bit more powerful than all the load's for TB.  that I have tried. The 1.5 gr. and 2 gr. load is Very, Very mild . I personaly would not hesitate to try either of those load's in your RB. They remind me of a CB CAP,,,,,Dusty

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
Thanks Dusty, I may just have to try some.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
Dusty,
Nice shooting!  None of the early Marlin catalogs show a supressor and the fellow I bought the rifle from has never seen one.

The original smokeless load for the 90 gr. bullet was cataloged at 945 f.p.s.  and the b.p. cartridge - 1,075 f.p.s.

By comparison, the 2.5 / Trail Boss  load averaged 760 f.p.s.  from my '92.

ndnchf,
Unique works very well in the .32.   2.7 grs will produce original factory ballistics with the 90 gr bullet.

w44wcf   

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »
w44wcf - thanks for the tip.  I rechecked my smokeless powder supply and all I have is 2400 and 5744.   I thought I had some Unique, but apparently not.  We don't have well stocked gun shop in town. Its about 45 minutes each way to a good shop.  Will add it to my shopping list.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
ndnchf,
You are most welcome.  Since we are shooting the .32 L Colt in a rifle, I had wondered what "Rifle" type powders might do.
2400 was one of the powders I had tested several years ago and I found that 5.0 grs pretty much replicated the early cataloged b.p. ballistics - 1,075 f.p.s. (90 gr bullet .78" case).

w44wcf  
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
That is interesting ,I have wanted to try 2400, IN THE .32 LC, because I do have a couple pound's of that . But had no idea where to start. w44wcf ,do you think 3 to 3.5 gr. of 2400 with 90 gr. bullet /.78 case would be a good start?  I have been searching places I usually can purchase powder from. All the same answer (cant get any).One of the big Houston, GUN Show's is around the corner. Prob . pay through the nose for it but @ 3 to 5 gr. a charge a pound should outlast me.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
I just finished loading my small supply of .32 SC and LC with 5.9gr and 7.7gr respectively of 3F APP.  I figured I'd try this powder out since it requires no bullet lube.  Will make for cleaner cartridges going to the range.  The next time around I may try the 2400. Maybe a nice light charge like Dusty suggested.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
Hey ndnchf" I have never tried AAP ,do you say it requires no lube? I am interested in hearing how this powder work's  ,in your .32LCR. Would like to try the 2400 and hope it doe's good . That would be great ,because I have a couple lb. of that. Use it in my .45 Colt.Now that 2400 would leave's unburned kernell's in the .45 colt. But have to say it shoot's rather well.,,,,Dusty.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
Dusty - it says right on the container "Use no Lubes and seat powder firmly".  I recall reading about it a few years ago. They said that it creates its own lube via the residue.  You can also use smokeless lube with it.  But I figured I'd try it with no lube.  I filled the case to the top, then compressed it with a small dowel.  Then seated the bullet.  It needs to be compressed to burn efficiently. I've used it before and it smokes nicely and burns clean. I've heard others say it can be erratic, but I don't have a chrono, so I don't know.  Do a search of the forum, I'm sure others have commented on it.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
I hope that AAP work's for you. The burning clean part, sound's great!That group on paper is what count's . It should tell you if it is steady. The Pyrodex shoot's really well in the 32. But it does start to hard foul in my rifle just ahead of the chamber. The accuracy would hold on for up to about ten shot . Then I need to clean. Can shoot more round's with the Swiss, before the fouling prob. The lube I have been using makes it out to the muzzel with the Swiss,but not with the Pyrodex in the load's I have been shooting.,,,,Dusty

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
Dusty,
I would say start at 10% less (4.5) and go from there. 3.0 would likely not be consistent.

I did go on up to 6.0 grs. in small increments with no issues. By that time the bullet was
crossing the screens at close to 1,200 f.p.s.

So 5.0 is plenty safe.

It will be interesting to see how APP does in the .32 Colt.  I tried it in the .44-40 and even with a
compressed charge I could not get it close to b.p. velocities and the accuracy was so,so ok, at least
in my  '73. Hope it does better in the .32.

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
My little rolling block is not a strong action, if I try the 2400, I'll start at 4.5gr.  Since I'm just plinkin', I'm not concerned with max velocity,just want a safe and accurate load. It will be interesting to see what the APP can do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com