Author Topic: Is CAS a thing of the past? Is there any new guns comming out?  (Read 14114 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Is CAS a thing of the past? Is there any new guns comming out?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 05:20:22 AM »
The current 73 Miroku/Winchesters are all 38.  There are several on Gun Broker right now. 

The .44 WCF (44-40) will be a second run this fall.

Pancho is correct, I have spoken one of the Rep's seems October and the 44/40 will be available.

I have also reviewed the action (as RickB has stated ) my comments are coming in the next issue of the "Shootist"

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
To Paraphase Mark Twain, "Reports of CAS's death have been greatly exaggerated". Since the closing of the frontier, interest in the old west has waxed and waned, but it will never disappear. it is far too ingrained in us to vanish, and while the cycle of interest may
fluctuate, the old west, and CAS, will not exit the scene. I am old enough to rember the 50's glory days and the 60's abandonment of interest in the old west.  An Italian named Sergio Leone single handled brought back the Western, reminding us of what we were
and in a deep sense still are, a nation of individualists and adventurers. I see the same thing happening in CAS. Yeah, a lot of us are
50 plus, but enough new shooters show up to keep the game going.

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
This same question of a particular branch of this hobby "dying out" is debated around many different campfires. What I mean is that this same issue lies within the Civil War reenacting world, Old West reenacting, Mountain Man Rendezvous, WWII reenacting, etc.......... There are only so many individuals with interest in history (I include all the above mentions branches in this) and these hobbies tend to go in cycles based whatever movie is currently a hit. When it is cool to shot old guns, the kids go to shoots with mom & dad. Somewhere around 17-18, the hormones kick in or college and/or the the military takes them from the hobby. This leads to the gap of 25-40ish participants until their lives and financial situation stablizes. Thats about the age when your kids go away, you have time and now, money, to pick up where you left off. This leads to the abundance of 50+ slightly overweight graybearded cowboy, soldiers and mountain men. Throw in the current financial pressure on all these hobbies and here we are. Will CAS die out? No. Will it be how it was 10-20 years ago, Nope. That is life and the changes therein. The measure of a man is how you deal with these changes.
I remain, respectfully,
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Advertising

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
This same question of a particular branch of this hobby "dying out" is debated around many different campfires. What I mean is that this same issue lies within the Civil War reenacting world, Old West reenacting, Mountain Man Rendezvous, WWII reenacting, etc.......... There are only so many individuals with interest in history (I include all the above mentions branches in this) and these hobbies tend to go in cycles based whatever movie is currently a hit. When it is cool to shot old guns, the kids go to shoots with mom & dad. Somewhere around 17-18, the hormones kick in or college and/or the the military takes them from the hobby. This leads to the gap of 25-40ish participants until their lives and financial situation stablizes. Then the kids go away, you have time and now, money, to pick up where you left off. This leads to the abundance of 50+ slightly overweight graybearded cowboy, soldiers and mountain men. Throw in the current financail pressure on all these hobbies and here we are. Will CAS die out? No. Will it be how it was 10-20 years ago, Nope. That is life and the changes therein. The measure of a man is how you deal with these changes.
I remain, respectfully,

Yep, CAS the only sport where the average age and belt size are both over 50. ;D

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »
Thankfully even though the gap has narrowed the age is still about50% more than the belt.  All those silly medical people I see want an even greater difference.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 02:20:08 AM »
I know this doesn't apply stateside, but I would do it in Canada if it weren't for the legal issues.  Many people don't care, I just don't get a feelgood having to go through all the hoops, for the nth time.  And around here, the feedback loop is you need to join a club, and clubs aren't taking new members since they are maxed out handling the shooters they have already.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
Well this Cowboy is in mid 40's and keeping his belt between 34 and 36!

Course being on active duty - sort of drive my active lifestyle.

I would love to shoot more though!

I too started shooting with all semi-auto variants of classic assault weapons and got the bug into cowboy shooting in my early 30's.

My 10 yr old is hooked pretty good - she loves the dress up part and the fact that she has and shoots her own guns - but I know it will be an up hill battle in the next few years.

Hopefully, helping my little boy get hooked in 3-4 years will keep the now 10 yr old shooting - they are best buds!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
I think the start up cost is a big deterent for a new shooter, especially a young shooter.

I agree here. I'm just starting out, and I'm into it $2k in guns and leather (mostly guns, in California, there's a lot of fees and stuff, plus guns are more expensive here).

I even had to buy a hat and boots (as you all know) so, I think most new shooters will come randomly (like me) or from kids getting interested in Dad's sport.

I'm happy to say hello from some new blood.

Oh, it could also be, you know, the economy is not booming and people have to prioritize what they spend money on.
If I wait any longer, the guns will just get more expensive... and also my kids will get more expensive too, so gotta get started now!

USPSA is also picking up in popularity, and it has lower startup costs (though a full Open Race Gun can cost more than 4 CAS guns put together) so it might be absorbing a lot of shooters. But I'm a USPSA shooter looking for a more "fun" shooting environment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com