Author Topic: 1873 Springfield carbine questions  (Read 16037 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: 1873 Springfield carbine questions
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
If you are a reloader a couple of primed empty cases should answer your questions
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
Yep, you just need to go out and shoot it now.  THe pin will probably work, if not:   http://www.trapdoors.com/view.php?area=parts&id=190#a

Thank you sir.
That's what I'll do.

I had been considering only using Black Dawge 45-70 carbine loads (45-55 I assume). 
They're out of stock but I have plenty of 45-70-405 black powder cartridges from Buffalo Arms (for my Shiloh and C Sharps).
Any reason I should be concerned safety-wise by trying the BA cartridges?

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
If you're unfamiliar with trapdoors or need parts explore Al Frasca's site-

http://trapdoorcollector.com

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:22:11 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 11:51:28 PM »
I cannot comment on Buffalo Arms ammo specifically, but the main reason the Army went to the .45-55-405 cartridge for the carbines instead of the .45-70-405 was the fact that the average cavalry trooper was about 5' 4" and weighed about 135 lbs, and there were concerns about recoil. Given, early on, the troops were allowed only three rounds per man per month (later increased to maybe 5 rds), and marksmanship wasn't emphasized until after Little Big Horn, the carbine load was deemed less punishing. However, some troop commanders requested full-power rifle loads for their troopers' carbines. Since you are probably a bit bigger (most of us are nowadays), and may not really notice the difference, strength-wise there is no reason not to shoot infantry loads in the carbine, presuming the carbine is safe to shoot at all.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »
I cannot comment on Buffalo Arms ammo specifically, but the main reason the Army went to the .45-55-405 cartridge for the carbines instead of the .45-70-405 was the fact that the average cavalry trooper was about 5' 4" and weighed about 135 lbs, and there were concerns about recoil. Given, early on, the troops were allowed only three rounds per man per month (later increased to maybe 5 rds), and marksmanship wasn't emphasized until after Little Big Horn, the carbine load was deemed less punishing. However, some troop commanders requested full-power rifle loads for their troopers' carbines. Since you are probably a bit bigger (most of us are nowadays), and may not really notice the difference, strength-wise there is no reason not to shoot infantry loads in the carbine, presuming the carbine is safe to shoot at all.

Roger that, TR.
I read that cavalry troops tried the 45-70-405 rounds and complained, thus leading to the 45-55.
As for me, I'm 6'3" and haven't weighed 135lb since about the 6th grade.  :))

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »
Roger that, TR.
I read that cavalry troops tried the 45-70-405 rounds and complained, thus leading to the 45-55.
As for me, I'm 6'3" and haven't weighed 135lb since about the 6th grade.  :) 
I think I'll try the BA cartridges in the next week or two.
I'll follow up with a range report.

Offline sharps1863

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »
The 45-70-405 shot from a carbine does have some ump to it, so I would agree the standard size Calvary soldier did complain about it. Have fun with your carbine. Trapdoors are addictive. ;D
Now a member of the Spencer Shooting Society #430
Shooter of 1-Trapdoor Springfield 1- Maynard Carbine- 1- Brunswick Rifle- 1-.50cal Hawkin- 2 -1858 Remingtons- 1- 1851 Colt Sheriff-1- 2nd model Dragoon- 1 .75cal Brown Bess Carbine-and now 1- Armi Sport 56/50 Spencer
 Maybe I like Black-powder guns too Much

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »
Update to all that helped me in this journey.
I am so happy.
I finally, after about 2 years, took my carbine out to the range yesterday.
I had it checked out by a gunsmith who gave it two thumbs up, but I was still a little apprehensive never having shot a truly antique weapon.

I used Buffalo Arms 405gr BP rounds and at 50 yards, aiming at nearly the bottom of a 17" Shoot 'n See target all 11 shots (that's all the 405's I brought) were within the first red circle and 3 hit the bullseye.  None were more than 2" off left/right and that's probably my fault.

I had a range buddy fire a couple shots just to see how it looked. 
Very cool.
The recoil was not bad at all (although since I'm old I hedged my bets with a PQ Shooter's Friend slip-on recoil pad) and the sound and smoke was awesome.

I can't wait to get back out to the range next week with a full box at 100 yards.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »
They're addictive, I tells ya!  Congratulations.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com