51 (17.6%)
1894 Winchester
11 (3.8%)
1894 Marlin
41 (14.1%)
Other
9 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Main Match rifles and why...  (Read 121995 times)

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Main Match rifles and why...
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
While I have not done my first meet yet, I went with the 1860 Henry.  I have lusted after that rifle since I was a youngen.

Mike

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
I went with the 1860 Henry.  I have lusted after that rifle since I was a youngen.

Mike

Funny thing about that, I did, too.  I wasn't sure about the 44-40 chambering but it's all good.  I picked up a Rossi 92 in .357, works well with my .38 Special reloads.  That's my backup rifle.

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:33 AM »
I'm no long timer to the sport. In fact I just shot my second match ever in CAS memorial day weekend. So I enjoy the input from those of you who have been around for awhile and what you are using. It makes a big difference in how I will choose my next main match rifel. For my starter rifle,  I chose a Uberti 1873 short rifle with a 20 inch octagon barrel for two reasons. 1, I got a "offer I couldn't  refuse" and 2,  after resurching the different rifles, the 73 was thought of as the most accurate and reliable of all. The 66 was a close second. This will most likely be my next gun if the pre Remington Marlin owners dont come off there cloud and bring the price of there rifles back into the realm of reality. 
I have to admit,  after having Jim Bowie at the Cowboys and Indian store do an action job and 5h generation short stroke kit, I'm pretty much sold on the 73s. The smoothness and accuracy is amazing!  At 100 yards free standing, 4 out of 10 rounds in the 10 ring with the other 6 in the 9 ring with an overall grouping of about 1.5 inches.  I Love It! ! !. I also do my own reloading and I have run at least 1000 rounds down the pipe without one jam up, stuck case, misfire, loading or ejection problem. I just don't know if you can get any better or ask for anything more! I do love the looks of the 66 though.  Love the brass and you got to love the octagon barrels! W. L. ;D
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 10:50:25 AM »

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »
Marlin '94, standard model with 20" barrel.

Why?  Price.  Aesthetically, I want a Winchester '66.  But I don't have a lot of money.  Had a chance at buying a friend's Cowboy Marlin '94 in .44 mag with a 24" octagonal barrel.  (I love the look of octagonal barrels.)  But I ran across an absolutely pristiine pre-buyout '94 in .44 mag with a 20" round barrel for $500.00.  Aesthetics went out the window in favor of raw, affordable practicality.

The only risk was not knowing if the gun would shoot .44 specials.  Happy ending, it does!  I hope some day I can afford a '66 too, but I hope to have the wisdom never to get rid of this gun.  I'm real happy I have it.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt.  Why?  It was beautiful and I thought I might hunt with it as well so I went .45.  I am now wishing I had gone .44-40 because I'd like to shoot black powder more.  I am looking at another 1873 in .44-40 but I would take a Henry in a heartbeat.  While I hear the Henry is slower, I don't care.  I shoot 8" barrelled revolvers and a 28 inch shotgun (with hammers, of course), my 1873 has a 24.25 inch barrel--I will never shoot "fast".  Where I am from, the west, carbines were not trusted to carry a round far enough.  In the real west, most pistols that were not pocket types had longer barrels.  Most shotguns were used to hunt game so were not coach guns.  I don't use a shotgun belt becuase they did not exist in the 1870s.   

If I ever decide to become a gamer, I will shorten it all up and get all the crap and doo-dads, but for now, I am fine with the long heavy pieces I have and hearing the groans from the others when I stop to fish a couple rounds outta my pockets.  . 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
I only started SASS late last year and only bought my guns then. After speaking to the other shooters in the club I was warned against the Winnie 92/94 as I was going to shoot 38's. I really wanted a marlin 1894 but due to the Remlin notoriety I stayed away from them. that left the Uberti 1873 and boy am a I glad I did. It's a beautiful short rifle. I've done a bit of DIY gunsmithing and it's super smooth.

I would still like a Marlin but only when their quality comes up to scratch.

Here in Australia there isn't a big market for lever actions unlike their bolt-action cousins so pickings are a little slim in the second hand market.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 01:26:26 AM »
Started SASS using a Rossi 1892 in 44 mag, then after I wore it out I picked up a Browning B92 in 44 mag, then went to a Browning B92 in 357 Mag (notice a trend?).  These served me well for about 11 years until I got to the point that I was physically out running the action on the 1892s.  I am now using an almost box stock Taylor's 1873 in 357 that "may" get a stoke kit some day.  The only thing that I have done to it is to change the sights to a Beach Front and a Marble's Tang.  I love it and use it for both CAS and NRA Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Silhouette, but still use the 1892s for hunting and knocking about in the woods and desert because they are lighter and can handle a steady diet of heavy loads.

My whole family is now shooting 38/357 so we have an easier time with ammunition and it is cheaper to reload (not really, we just shoot more for the $).
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »
I'm new to this thread, but I'll answer the question.  Whenm I first got into CAS, I had the pleasure of handling a Pedersoli Colt Lightning.  I was instantly in love, so I bought a 20" bbl'd .45 Colt.  It is super fast and accurate, and has paved the way to two local CAS event wins for me.  So I'm ion the 'other' category, and am happy there.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »
I started out with a custom 1873 carbine in .45 Colt.  I then picked up a Marlin 1874 in .45 Colt.  After I began to play with Black Powder I got an Iron Framed 1860 Henry in .44-40.  Then I picked up a Yellow boy carbine in .44-40.  Then I thought I needed a .44-40 1873 short rifle.

Now I have my original custom 1873 Carbine in .45 Colt and the .44-40 short rifle.  I sold everything else.  Except for Wild Bunch, the .44 WCF short rifle is my main match rifle.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2015, 07:33:10 AM »
I started CAS with a Henry Big Boy in 45 LC.  I got interested in BP, and being PC, so I traded a Highwall that I had for a Uberti '73 rifle in 44-40, plus ammo, nickle plated brass, and dies.  I got a deal on a Rossi 92 in 357 that I could pass up, so I purchased it.  I like my '73, and use it for my match rifle.  I'm a little to loose on cycling the 92, so I eject live rounds some times.  But, Miss Red likes the 92.  One day, I'll likely add a '66 or '73 carbine in 44-40 to my arsenal.  Until then, the '73 is my choice.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
Chiming in again, up-dating my Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 11:50:03 pm »

I habitually reach for the 73 short rifle, but the Henry's are still in my quiver ..

I do want to give honorarium to the JM Marlin 32/20  Classic 94 ....this thing is a tack driver, NOS from it's 1990 build date.
I'd use it if it were not button magazine  only holds 7 rounds
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
Chiming in again, up-dating my Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 11:50:03 pm »

I habitually reach for the 73 short rifle, but the Henry's are still in my quiver ..

I do want to give honorarium to the JM Marlin 32/20  Classic 94 ....this thing is a tack driver, NOS from it's 1990 build date.
I'd use it if it were not button magazine  only holds 7 rounds

To me, that's as nice a little "walking around" gun as a fellow could have. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
My main match rifle is a Pedersoli Colt Lightning in .45 Colt.  It is very fast and positive, is easy to stay on target while working the action, and since I figured out what loads it loves, it never has hick-ups.

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
Well I do B-western mostly.  I have a Marlin 94 Cowboy Ltd but much prefer my Henry steel Big Boy.  The BB was out of the box slicker then the Marlin even after being through some slicking up and has just gotten better with use.  I have put Marlin springs and ejector in it which helps a bit.

I have a Miroku Winni 73 which I occasionally run when not doing BW but the wood is so nice that I don't want to scuff it up.  Nothing been done to it but run a match or two and it seems real smooth as well.

I have a Gold Rush lightning which I love in 357 (and run 357 brass trough) but seems to have a lot of issues.  It is being sent to Lassiter for hopefully some of his magic. 

Eyeballing a Navy Arms Pedersoli lightning.  Expensive more than likely but Val (III) said sending samples to Lead Dispenser to make sure they run.  If they can pass him, I would not have any problems, no where near that fast! (wish I was but like the billion Powerball wishes are just that).

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
1866....Why? Looks.....Caliber? 38/40 Ease of cleaning, good chamber sealing

I have an 1873 in 38-40 (in fact I have three of them Uberti and two 1800s Winchesters)...But I like the brass frame simply for style points.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
A long long time ago ........ In a Galaxy far far away ........ I originally started playing this game with a Uberti 1866, 45 Colt.  As a
gunsmith, I made it run all by myself ;D
Then I got into "speed" and went thru a litany of 38/357, '66s, '73s and some Henrys (Henry STYLE).
After an extended stay in a Veterans Hotel (Hospital), speed went out the window as did gainful employment (Retired)
SO:
I built myself some special custom Henry Rifles.  16 inch barrel Trapper, set up for C45S cartridges, 18 1/2 inch Carbine, set up for C45S
cartridges, and a 24 inch "Martial" Henry, set up for C45S cartridges.  Then I rebuilt em all into side-load Transitionals.
My main match rifles are now, all Henry.  Cause there just so incredibly KOOL.  I'm also the only kid on my block with a pile of Transitional
Henry Rifles.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
I shoot an Uberti 73 Carbine in 44-40 because it fits perfect for Classic Cowboy.

Having said that I got my 1860 Henry cleaned up and slicked a little in expectation of shooting it with my 51 navies that are being set up for this coming season!

DD

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »
I have two customized '66's, one '73 with a 30 inch barrel and a, now sold off 1860 Henry (un altered)
One of the '66's, I altered into a late model type 4, from a carbine to a rifle, with lots of 1873 features.
The other '66 I altered into a type 2 transitional variation.

The other models listed within the poll, I have little use for in my historic impression.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com