Author Topic: Cimarron's new American model!  (Read 35629 times)

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators, Double M Cowboys, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Senator
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cimarron's new American model!
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
I just skipped back through the postings and see that the R-M in question has a cylinder actually chambered for .44 Colt cartridges. Nice! My R-M's are marked .44 Colt, but the cylinders chamber .44 S&W Special cases. That being said, back to the .44 S&W Russian cartridge cases. I use them exclusively to replicate, as close as possible, the .44 Henry Flat central fire cartridges of the day. I also shoot the same loads in my 1860 Henry carbine with a modified carrier block. There's no way to work around the .429 bores, so the .44 S&W Russian cases get me as close as possible to the Henry Flat cartridge.     
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
I just skipped back through the postings and see that the R-M in question has a cylinder actually chambered for .44 Colt cartridges. Nice! My R-M's are marked .44 Colt, but the cylinders chamber .44 S&W Special cases. That being said, back to the .44 S&W Russian cartridge cases. I use them exclusively to replicate, as close as possible, the .44 Henry Flat central fire cartridges of the day. I also shoot the same loads in my 1860 Henry carbine with a modified carrier block. There's no way to work around the .429 bores, so the .44 S&W Russian cases get me as close as possible to the Henry Flat cartridge.   

I started my .44 Russian odyssey when I acquired an original S&W DA 44.  Then I had a 66 tweaked to cycle .44 Russians.  I have subsequently acquired a RM conversion and a pair of Open Tops and a Henry; all firing Russians. 

Maybe in the future I'll be able to add an S&W American in .44 Russian.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Johnson Barr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
Already have my name on the 3B waiting list for an 8" in .44 Russian. Patience, patience, patience....
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2020, 12:57:18 PM »
Johnson, I'm right there with you. As you say, "patience, patience, patience." ah hell, patience my a**, I'm gonna go shoot something.  ;D

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2020, 10:48:37 AM »
Cimarron has them for sale on their website.

Advertisers

« Reply #205 on: Today at 01:18:18 AM »

Offline Dave T

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
Books & Johnson,

Please explain how your are shooting 44 Russians in your Henrys? I would love to have a Henry chambered for the 44 Russian to do exactly what Johnson described, i.e. duplicate performance of the 44 Henry Flat.

Dave

Offline Johnson Barr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »
You will need a modified carrier to handle the shorter cartridges. I sent my Henry carrier to Bill English at 'The Smith Shop' for conversion. At the time he did not have any Henry carriers in stock. Once you have a modified carrier in hand you will need to remove a small amount of metal from the modified carrier 'toggle' side of the Bolt face. Maybe a 1/16" flattened with a mill bastard file to allow the Bolt to travel past the modified bolt carrier 'toggle'. Books' 1866 carbine is chambered for .44 S&W Special so he had no problems with .44 S&W Russian brass. In my case my 1860 Henry carbine is chambered for .44-40.  The .44 S&W Russian cases will chamber and eject with no problems in the .44-40 chamber. What happens next is that the Russian cases will 'fire form' to the .44-40 chamber the first time you fire them. A slight tapered bulge will be noticeable. These now became dedicated cases for my Henry carbine conversion. When re-loading I do not resize these dedicated cases. A universal de-capping die is used. Cases are filled an 1/8" short of the case mouth with 2Fg and a .429"-200gr. RNFP cast bullet then seated. Bob's your Uncle!   

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
...What happens next is that the Russian cases will 'fire form' to the .44-40 chamber the first time you fire them. A slight tapered bulge will be noticeable. These now became dedicated cases for my Henry carbine conversion. When re-loading I do not resize these dedicated cases. A universal de-capping die is used. ...

I recall someone else in the past had reported shooting Russians in their .44wcf Henry.  Some folks are going "oh nooo!  dangerous!" but he had no problem.  I was wondering about the resizing / reloading part.  Dedicated brass makes sense.   What crimp die?

Offline Dave T

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »
An 1860 or an 1866 chambered for 44 Special would be slicker than puppy poop on a freshly mopped tile floor! (smile)

Dave

Offline Johnson Barr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Yesterday at 01:26:03 PM »
I modified a Lee .44 Russian crimp die using a die grinder and stone to 'flare' the die opening to except the 'bulged' brass. Dies are available from the Lee site separately. My dedicated 'Russian Henry' set includes a .44 Russian shell holder, a universal de-capping die, a universal case mouth expander die and the 'flared' .44 Russian crimp die. The universal de-capping and case mouth flare dies come in handy for other projects.

Advertisers

« Reply #210 on: Today at 01:18:18 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #210 on: Yesterday at 02:47:50 PM »

:)  Hi Guys   ;)

I have been frustrated with Uberti for years.  Way back, Uberti actually made some 1860 Henry Rifles in 44 Special.  I even had one in my hands for an action job.  I tried by best to buy it.  Guy had no sense of humor.  Wouldn't budge.

Ergo, my solution for the Henry has been guns chambered in 45 Colt.  Then I run a Smith Shop carrier for C45S brass.  Works a treat.  Real close ballistically to 44 Henry Flat.  Was never a fan of running 44 russian brass in a 44-40 chamber.  Can be done.  Has been done.  Not my favorite flavor.  Most in the Gun Plumbing business would discourage this practice.  Case rupture is a very real possibility.

Stay Well and Be of Good Cheer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2020 CAScity.com