Author Topic: Cimarron (Pietta) Custer Mini Review  (Read 6652 times)

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron (Pietta) Custer Mini Review
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
I was so impressed with what I got for $ 410 in a Cimarron Pietta New Frontier 4 3/4 barrel in .357 that I ordered a Custer model from Davidson's which cost me $ 445 out the door.  This is basically the Pietta old model frame 7 1/2 half inch New Frontier in .45 Colt with "Custer" markings.

The gun is well finished and the fit of all exterior parts is great.  Came with only a thumb screw style cylinder pin screw which I don't care for.  I ordered two regular ones from Cimarron but I think it should have come with one.  The markings are nearly the same as their standard New Frontier with just a small "US" on the frame and a poorly executed cartouche on the grip.  The one on my was not only light but also a double strike.

Same oversize bolt at .150 with slots running .147 to .149. I polished the bolt down to .148.  This pistol also has the coil spring for the hand and the lightened mainspring of the other New Frontier I have.  There were a few burrs easily removed from the hammer.  The bolt was very tight on its screw so I used fine sandpaper to polish the screw. Since trigger pull was also heavy on this gun I looked closely at the hammer and trigger and the trigger profile was totally flat and not polished smooth.  I broke the back edge slightly and polished it.  After cleaning and greasing (TW25B) and reassembly the trigger pull was better.  Cocking is smooth and lock up is great.  On half cock the chambers are lined up in the loading gate.  The bore on this gun was clean compared to the .357 I got.

To the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.

My conclusion?  Pietta is making good SAA's but this "Custer" is not worth the extra $ 35 to $ 50 over the standard 7 1/2 inch old frame New Frontier.  The Pietta "Custer" is no where as nice as the Uberti version from years ago with its fire bluing, patent dates, serial numbering, and perfect cartouche.  However, that gun was more expensive and doesn't appear to be readily available from Cimarron.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
Re: Cimarron (Pietta) Custer Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Cimarron still carries the Uberti-made Cavalry and had some in stock a week ago.  Not charcoal blue, though, although they did have the Artillery in charcoal blue. 

I hope you get the proper slotted base pin screws for the Pietta.   The last I heard, which was several months ago, Pietta did not yet have one available, but maybe they do now.  The Uberti screws are a different size.

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
I got a spare cylinder rod retaining screw in from Cimarron but it's not long enough for the Pietta.  It's likely one for an Uberti.  I've emailed Cimarron.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:58 PM »

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
Fired it today and surprisingly enough it shoots to the point of aim!

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
Fired it today and surprisingly enough it shoots to the point of aim!

Sounds like a keeper.
A work in progress.

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
Hello all ...

I just got one of these little kittens last month and have not had a chance to take to the range yet. Been on my "to-do" list.

Glad to hear some of the reviews ... I personally noted it seemed to be a gun worth the price of $450. Not exactly a USFA, but then again, that isn't what I paid for.

I did take a part and try to smoth out the action. Didn't get too far and didn't want to go to town on anything so I just left it be. I will take it to the range and see what we got.

I will say this though .... I can live with the chemical case hardening and all that, what i was REALLY happy with was the oiled grip. No polyurethane on it and that is GREAT! ... I hate that slick grip and that had me worried when I placed the order.

enjoy ..... Jake
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
I emailed Cimarron and they have "real" cylinder pin retaining screws on the way and promised to send me one when they come in.

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »
Do you have the Cimarron part number? I want one of those screws too !!!

Thanks
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
There is no part number yet.  Email their customer service.

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
There is no part number yet.  Email their customer service.

Part Number is PPCOLT5513 "PIETTA OLD MODEL FLUSH BASE PIN SCREW"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com