Author Topic: 1916 punitive expedition mexico uniform question  (Read 5503 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
1916 punitive expedition mexico uniform question
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:45:13 pm »
Since the Department of the Missouri Muster will feature an expansion era side match I need a uniform.
I would like to use my 1911 and a 1903 (although this year I will probably use a M1917 since it is on hand)

I like the Army Cotton shirts that SchipperFabrik sells along with the waist belt and probably the putees.
I can get a campaign hat and cotton Jodhpur Trousers from Coon Creek Old West. (I like the fact they are cotton and I like the price.)

I alredy have a model 1912 holster and belt that I got from IMA (I won the mystery item identification contest and used the gift certificate to buy it.)
I can use the 1917 Enfield and the 1911 and be right in the hunt. I would need an ammo belt for the 30-06 rounds. Any suggestions?

I will not be able to purchase footwear because I have extremely wide feet (EEEEE) so I will have to make do with something from the closet. I am making Neiderlander a pair of Leather leggings so I may well make mysellf a pair as well.

Any suggestions for what I have missed to better sources?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
Re: 1916 punitive expedition mexico uniform question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:24 pm »
Try What Price Glory,http://onlinemilitaria.com, for the cartridge belt for the M1903 or M1917.  You might want the Canvas & Leather Leggings over the puttees.  They also have the leather leggins for the mounted troops.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:03:56 pm by Grapeshot »
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »
Try this link:

http://onlinemilitaria.com/

Under "American Militaria" check out the 1902-1938 section.  Between them and Coon Creek, you've got everthing you need.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:22:42 pm by Drydock »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:42 pm »

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:51:14 am »
Since the Department of the Missouri Muster will feature an expansion era side match I need a uniform.

I can use the 1917 Enfield and the 1911 and be right in the hunt. I would need an ammo belt for the 30-06 rounds. Any suggestions?
http://whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4178&bc=no
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Patron Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:59:17 am »
I know I have some pictures of my grandfather in uniform taken in 1917 and 1918 as well as some of his records. I could only lay my hands on one right now though. This one was taken in 1917 and unless my eyes deceive me it would appear he was in the cavalry. I think I see crossed sabers on his collar and a yellow hat cord. Am I mistaken? He was a Kansas farm boy and spent many hours in the saddle so it makes some sense. I know his discharge papers said he was a baker. I suppose he could have been a baker in the cavalry though.  I will have to go and dig them up and take a look. If he was in the cavalry then I will try to outfit myself in cavalry gear.
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:30:44 am »
Looks more like Infantry crossed rifles, to me - and the Infantry Blue hat cord will photograph 'light' - making it appear as Cavalry Yellow in the old photos of the era.

His Discharge will have his unit of assignment - look for his Record in a small, black oilcloth-bound booklet.

If you're going to do the Punitive Expedition, the M1917 wasn't issued to US forces until 1918 - and all of the shirts were made of wool.

Time to start looking for a replacement M1903 finger-groove stock.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:07:24 pm »
If you're going to be a baker, you'll have to be assigned to be Delmonico's assistant.

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »
Looks more like Infantry crossed rifles, to me - and the Infantry Blue hat cord will photograph 'light' - making it appear as Cavalry Yellow in the old photos of the era.
Here I found a couple more pictures. I agree. It does not look like Cavalry uniforms in the pics.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:14:37 pm »
Those are Infantry canvas leggings.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
In the second photo I love the posture of the photographer's shadow. He is clearly using an "old timey" hand held camera. If it were a more modern one he would be holding it up by his head instead of by his torso. 
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators