Author Topic: Unique in 44 Special?  (Read 29062 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Unique in 44 Special?
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
I was wondering about using Unique in a 44 Special Bulldog with 200 grain Speer JHPs.  case capacity is nearly identical to 44-40, if I remember correctly.  The only loading data I find for 44 Special with Unique is low velocity lead CAS loads or 240 grain JSP.  I was thinking it should be close to the 9 grains of the 44-40 with the 200 grain JSP.  Any feedback welcome.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
Re: Unique in 44 Special?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
Go to;   http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

I think you are being a bit optimistic. The top load from Alliant is 7.6 grains with the 240 gr SPEER.

My tattered & yellow copy of Cartridges of the World, 3d Ed. shows a Unique load for a 250 gr bullet (Not specified if Pb or jacketed.) that is a grain lower than your proposal, and I doubt it was pressure tested.  The blast in a belly-gun would be spectacular!

Ken Waters' PET LOADS shows 7.5 grains as "near max", and I know he did not have access to pressure testing gear. I am pleased that Alliant agrees so closely with his top load, in this case. Sometimes Ken was a bit over current recommendations.

Go to a recent source, and don't get get too adventurous! 
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
 There's no finer powder for the 44 special than unique, but I don't think you're goingt to want to go anywhere near the top end loads in that belly gun.
 Might slip by the local slobber shop and grab the Lyman 49th reloading handbook , or scoot over to loaddata.com , with credit card in hand. Tons of good solid load data there.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45:53 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »
Handloads.com has a great article about loading for the short barreled revolvers like the .44 Bulldog.  Also Taffin has a good article about 44 Special.  They have 7.7 to 8 grains for 225s well under 14,000 max for 44 Special.  I may try about 7.7 under a 200 grain Speer Gold dot.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
Just a side note:  I have bunches of loading manuals, BUT they are all packed in storage while we live in a studio apartment until our house purchases closes!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
I absolutley am stuck on unique in the 44 special, but if I were to take up the snubby's in that chambering, I'ld sure take a hard run at the faster powders ie bullseye,trailboss and reddot etal, just to try and overcome the velocity loss of the slower powders not getting to do most of their good work before they ran out of barrel length.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
Just a side note:  I have bunches of loading manuals, BUT they are all packed in storage while we live in a studio apartment until our house purchases closes!

Makes the 25$ spent on the loadata.com subscription worth all that much more. ;)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
Makes the 25$ spent on the loadata.com subscription worth all that much more. ;)

I have a subscription for RIFLE, HANDLOADER, & Sucessful HUNTER.  They gave me entry to loaddata.com on the side.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
Unique will work in just about anything, but I've found that loading a handgun with it and loading it near or at the max grain loadings, not only does it have a alot of 'bark', but it has alot of 'bite' with it to. Your short barrel Bulldog will really let you know it to. Years ago while using a heavy dose of Unique with 125 grain HP's in 357, I shot the same load in 2 3/4, 4, and 6 inch barreled DA revolvers-the shorter 2 3/4" barrel really brought out the 'bite' vs the 4 and 6. Ditto's to Sir Charles post and to Ranch 13's post of using a faster powder vs Unique. But--if I were limited to just a few powders to load with, Unique would be one of them.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 01:31:52 PM »
I also thought of ww231. But can't find any data for it.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
Well, I did it.  I just put a pristine 1970s vintage Charter 44 Bulldog with a 3 inch barrel on layawy for $350. It is identical to the. 44 Bullbog I carried as a LEO off duty gun (and back up in an ankle holster) from 1975 to about 1988. I have about 400 rounds assorted 44 special and lots of brass and slugs . Ill probably pick up some Speer gold dot factory for now.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
The Lyman 49th Ed. shows 6.7 - 7.5 gr. of Unique behind a 200 gr. Hornady HP/XTP #44100. They used a 4" and a 7-1/2" pressure barrel, but don't specify which the data came from for this load. The 7.5 gr Unique chronographed at 854 ft/sec with 11,300 CUP, the lowest pressure for any of the powders shown.  However, I suspect a 2-in. barrel will exhibit a lot of flash with Unique.  You might want to try HP38/W231 (same powder, different label), which is faster-burning. They show 6.4 gr on the low end, and a max of 7.1 gr. at 13,800 CUP with the same bullet.  For cast bullet data, you might want to pick up a copy of the Lyman manual, as there is a lot of data for me to copy here.

[I can assume NO liability for the use of this data in any guns at all! Usual disclaimer.]
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

44caliberkid

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
I split the cylinder on a Charter Bulldog using 8.0 grains of Unique under a 180 gr. Speer JHP.  After a trip back to the factory for a new cylinder, I only load them with 7.5 grains.   I don't think you can push the Bulldog platform very far, they ain't Smith's or Colt's.   I like Clint Smith's idea for the Bulldog, a full charge of 3F Black Powder.   If the bullet doesn't slow them down, setting them on fire might and you can escape in the smoke screen that it leaves.
   The old Lee 44 full wadcutter bullet would be ideal.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think I will try 7.0 grains of WW231 with the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot.  That is about the loading used with a 45 Schofield. It was a great load.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think I will try 7.0 grains of WW231 with the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot.  That is about the loading used with a 45 Schofield. It was a great load.
Look at this from HODGDON:  Best to go straight to the manufacturer.

Cartridge:  44 S&W Special
Load Type:  Pistol
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
200 GR. CAST LRNFP  Hodgdon  HP-38  .430"  1.450"  4.5  743  8,300 CUP  5.6  918  12,500 CUP        
200 GR. NOS JHP  Hodgdon  HP-38  .429"  1.460"  5.5  806  10,100 CUP  6.0  898  13,100 CUP        

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 01:17:37 AM »
I have been using Nitro 100 and AA2 in 44 spec for years.  Couple of years ago Nitro 100 changed make sure to use new data.
When I called AA on the new formula a couple of years ago they recommended reducing old loads 15%.  Their website FAQ recommends a 10% reduction of both starting and max loads if using old N100 data for handguns.  Obviously one would use their new data if available for the caliber in question.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
Alliant's reloading guide specific to the Speer 200 GDHP I am using lists 7.8 of Unique as max.I believe it is in the 13,000 PSI neighborhood, which is well below he 14,000 max.  I may also try some WW231, about 6.8 grains, which is midrange load according to Lymann.  I am really fond of Unique, though, and have lots of it.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
In the mid to late 80s one of the Constables in Galveston Co Texas carried a .44 Bulldog. I would load a 200 gr LSWC over 7.5 gr of Unique. He liked it pretty good.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
I found a PDF from Speer with recommended loads for the 200 grain GDHP:  Looks like 6.9 of WW231 or the 7.8 of Unique are the winners.  The hot loads will be for carry, and shot seldom.  For practice loads, I have 500 of the 246 grain RNL that I will duplicate factory loads with about 6 grains of Unique.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CGAQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speer-bullets.com%2Fpdf%2FReloadingSupplementalDATA%2F44_200GD.pdf&ei=67i5T-nUM67JmAXgysHSCQ&usg=AFQjCNG7K7LEBeJgTf8mNsBj_gepXuaVtw&sig2=wqmX7SwqpJgUyNIc9dS-5g
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com