Author Topic: Pyrodex in rough / pitted barrels  (Read 2083 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pyrodex in rough / pitted barrels
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:20:49 AM »
If you have an original '73 with a pore that is pitted / rough and have tried b.p. and found the results less than satisactory, you may want to try Pyrodex.

I have an original '73 .44 W.C.F. made in 1882, that has a somewhat rough, pitted barrel.  With black powder, it shoots great........for about 10-12 rounds, then the accuracy starts falling off quickly as fouling accumualtes in those recesses.   

Pyrodex to the rescue! It worked great in that '73.....a full box of 50 rounds could be fired with good accuracy from start to finish.
I also tried 777 but, in that rifle, it produced throat leading whereas Pyrodex did not.

Knowing the issue of oxidation with Pyrodex if not cleaned after firing, I used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar & water to clean and never had an issue with rust. (Sometimes though, I just fired several rounds loaded with that new fangled stuff and then cleaned with good ole' Hoppes and that worked fine.)

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: Pyrodex in rough / pitted barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
I came to the same conclussion with my old Swedish rolling block in 12.11 X 44R.  The barrels on the m67's were taken from the Wredes 1860 ML minie rifles, using the same HB minie bullet.  Even in relatively good shape, the soot builds up too fast to shoot a group.  Pyrodex at least lets me get some results.  Of course The old Girl still has to be cleaned thoroughly.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438612

Mine doesn't look like the converted Wredes shown above , but there is a short version of part of the Scandinavian rolling block story.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com