Author Topic: greenbacks!  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
greenbacks!
« on: September 06, 2005, 06:22:17 PM »

1878 two dollar bill

Unless your persona is chronically broke or a beggar, you need some money!
The big wallets you see for sale at places like www.riverjunction.com and elsewhere shouldn't surprise you.  They carried BIG money back then.
Our current, small bills date back to 1929.  Before that, as far back as 1863, they carried larger dimensioned bills.  These notes were 3.125 by 7.4218 inches.

http://www.frbsf.org/publications/federalreserve/annual/1995/history.html
President Abraham Lincoln, urged by the Secretary of the Treasury, convinced Congress to pass the National Banking Act in 1863 which established a national banking system and a uniform national currency to be issued by the new "national banks." The banks were required to purchase U.S. government securities as backing for their National Bank Notes. In 1865 a 10-percent tax was levied on State Bank notes eliminating the profit in issuing them and basically taxing them out of existence.

Although United States Notes were still widely accepted as a medium of exchange, most paper currency circulating between the Civil War and World War I consisted of National Bank Notes. They were issued from 1863 through 1932. From 1863 to 1877 National Bank Notes were printed by private bank note companies under contract to the Federal government. The Federal government took over printing them in 1877.

as for reproducing em, the treasury is fairly vague when it comes to the old "big" bills.  Modern "small" bills are highly regulated, and its even illegal to make a color copy of just a single side.  That doesnt stop people from putting them on neckties, cellphones, etc and selling them openly.
 A former forgery detective says on another CAS board says there is no problem.  The bills are worth FAR more than their face value and the bigger issue is trying to pass them off in collector's circles. 
The bill posted as a picture above is from a currency collector trading site.
To be on the safe side, you could always print a bill with both sides the same.

Here's his take on the situation:
being a retired forgery detective, I can assure you it is not illegal to make copies of out or print and out of circulation currency for the purpose of using as a prop. Copying any current production currency is definately illegal, even if only copying one side.

As for making copies off the internet, unless it is copyright protected and stated as such, it is considered as public domain and can be copied for personal interest or use. Copying for resale would be questionable as it could become a civil matter between the copier and the owner of the web site, but it would not be considered a crime.

The only way it would be considered illegal would be trying to pass it off as an authentic collectible to unknowing person for personal or monetary gain. To avoid any confusion print only one side or else print the same thing on both sides. There has to be criminal intent to make it a crime. So, make all the copies you want.
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: greenbacks!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 10:57:27 PM »
In 'St. George's Notes XIII - The Impression 2.0 - I mention having a bit of money in your pocket.

This post is a perfect example of what you'd have in the way of 'paper' money.

Remember - 'hard' currency was the most trusted and it took some time for 'paper' to gain wide acceptance - but gain it it did - though you - as a working cowboy - would never have a whole lot of it.

You can print these on an Off-White or Ivory-colored paper that has a bit of 'substance to it and 'age them just a bit with a light wash of strongly-brewed Tea.
To add wear - walk on them.
It's what the OSS did in WWII to artificially age counterfeit foreign currencies.

Pair some of these bills up with some period coinage from both sides of the Border and you're set for the 'financial' part of your Impression.

Thanks for the post.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 09:14:35 AM »
Thanks Whiptail and St. George. This is good info.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:54:09 PM »

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:06:32 PM »
http://www.nevada-history.org/paper_money.html

here's a nice source.

Just to clarify this point, I reread it and it wasn't very clear:
The bills are worth FAR more than their face value and the bigger issue is trying to pass them off in collector's circles. 

What I was saying, is it is Illegal to copy bills that the state is obligated to endorse.  The rules are more lenient for these old large size bills (color copies are permitted, for example) because they aren't in circulation anymore.
Any federal bill from 1862 onward is still legal tender -- you can take it to a bank and the government has to honor it for the value printed on its face.
Since the old bills have far more value in private collector sales, no one in their right mind would ever try to copy an old bill and try to use it to rip off the government -- so it is not something they are concerned with and interested in spending resources to enforce.
The people who would be concerned would be private collectors.

As a point of interest, I gave one of my bills to my supervisor at work.  He took it with him to the bank (a large chain, no less)  when he was depositing some work money and jokingly tried to cash it (don't do that!)
They all got a big kick out of it, even the manager -- not even a warning about counterfeiting.  Most people probably don't even know the details.
Still good to know the facts.

So in all honesty, i can't see a situation where people printing these bills for props would even raise an eybrow -- just don't try to circulate the damn things.

State currency from the civil war era, etc, is totally legal to copy.
Gold and silver certificates may be too, i am not sure about that. 
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:22:56 AM »
moses
 i'm into history, from 1825 to 1900. so it's always good to hear from you thax. I read it all. I have some post 1900
 paper money ( the big ones ) and some pre 1900 silver coins. I am not A collector, I just like old "stuff "
and the history that goses along with it.
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:30:09 AM »
st george
I am very sorry I forgot to include you befor I sent it. I knew I forgot to ade your name and I was going back to add it, and I forgot and hit send. please forgive me :-[ :-[ :-[
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 05:57:54 PM »
Over 30 years ago the wife got out of the car & saw a $1 bill laying in the gutter. It was a large bill in one of those clear platic enevelopes that colllectors use & was just like new. At first I thought it was play money. It said Pay To the bearer $1 in gold upon demand. Then I thought it must be real because it was in that plastic envelope. We watched the lost & found ads in the classifieds for two weeks & there was nothing in the paper about it. We sold it at a coin shop for $600.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 08:17:47 AM »
$600?

:o :o :o
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 08:04:42 PM »
In the late 50's, my sister found a $1.00 bill laying in our backyard.  It was a Siver Certificate (blue seal and Serial Numbers).  The most unusual thing about it was that ther was no signature of the Secretary of the Treasury printed on the bill.  Instead, there was an actual signature done with a fountain pen.  My father supposedly got the signature verified as authentic.  My sister still has the bill, as far as I know.  What do you suppose it would be worth?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 11:30:16 PM »
It's worth more than a dollar, I'll bet!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 02:52:47 AM »
Speekin of paper money, Did you know that there was once a three dollar bill in this country? And does any one know whos face is on it? DR.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 12:00:37 AM »
Speekin of paper money, Did you know that there was once a three dollar bill in this country? And does any one know whos face is on it? DR.

I got some o those with Bill Clintons photo on it. :D
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com