Author Topic: !862 Police Nipple update  (Read 8939 times)

Offline Bottom Dealin Mike

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
!862 Police Nipple update
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
In this thread I reported on having real problems with fired caps pulling off and causing mis-fires.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,42306.0.html

I mentioned that I'd talked to Track of the Wolf about their new stainless steel nipples, and that they were touting them as a lower priced alternative to Tresco's Ampco nipples. I ordered a couple of dozen and I said I'd report on how they worked.

I shot the 1862 Navy today with the TOF SS nipples and had zero cap jams.

Here is what they look like

The stock Uberti is on the left, the TOF SS is in the center and a Tresco is on the right (The Tresco is for a Pietta, so it doesn't exactly match the TOF SS nipple).

As you can see, the TOF and Tresco nipples have wider, but shorter cones than the stock Uberti nipple. Both aftermarket nipples need #11 caps, while the stock nipple used #10s.

Looking under the hood. The TOF SS nipple appears to have a flash hole about the same size as the stock Uberti nipple, while the flash hole on the Tresco is noticeably smaller. Because the TOF nipple has the same size flash hole as the stock nipple, I did not expect better performance out of it. But I was wrong. It completely stopped the cap pulling issue.

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: !862 Police Nipple update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
BDM,
Did you fill in the slot in the hammer? If so, this may be the reason for no cap jams. If not, it sounds like you've got a winner.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
Dick,

No, I didn't fill in the hammer.

This is a T&E gun from Uberti USA for a "Guns of the Old West" column. I don't plan to buy it, so I'm not going to make any permanent alterations. In fact the TOF nipples are really for one of my 1851 Navy revolvers, but I swapped them on to the 1862 to see if they would improve the cap grabbing situation.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:30 AM »

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
Mike, the sa nipples look identical to the nipples off my Rogers & Spencer. Hmmm wonder if TOF used them as a template

My pistolas came with extra nipples I wonder if the euro nipples will fit an uberti?

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
I went to a match this last Saturday and had a cap jam/misfire (quickly cleared it and got a clean match button, WHEW!) and a fellow on my posse says "See, if you'da had a set of these you wouldn't have had the problem!" and he shows me a package of nipples made by Desperado Bullets that are stainless, have a slightly smaller flash hole than stock, and looked somewhat like the "Hot Shot" nipples with small holes drilled through the shaft of the cones. He said they had redesigned the flash channel to direct more flame down the channel and out the flash hole and put the holes in the side to reduce blowback pressure to keep the caps on the nipples. He said they take both #10 and #11 Remington caps (all I use are the Rem #10s) and a lot more fire goes into the chamber than with the Tresos.  He let me finger them where I could see the top of the cone had a wider opening to gather more cap flash just like I had seen on an original Colt Navy with a smaller surface area on the top which also would allow a lighter hammer fall to set off the cap. It was a good sales pitch. They put a lot of thought into the design. I've never really liked the Treso nipples with the tiny pin hole sized flash hole and got lousy ignition when using them in my rifled musket. I have two or 3 of my guns fitted with the TOW SS nips that like Rem #10s. So far, so good. If my guns function just fine with the stock nipples I leave things alone but I do fill in the little safety notch in the hammer that can grab caps. If I keep having any problems with the one gun I might just get a set of the new Desperado nipples. He said they were $30 something for a set of 6 and will be out  real soon. His were samples. They looked well made and oughta do what they claim.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
Well if Ol#4 is gonna be selling them, they must be good.  I'll have to get a few sets when they become available.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
Me too. They sound interesting

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »
I just bought a spare-pair of Cylinders for my Navy's. Was going to order Treso's this Week for them. Guess I'll wait for the Slix-Nipples to come out and try them.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »
Interesting results with switching to the stainless nipples on the 62s.  Old #4 had the nipples at Winter Range.  Look interesting, but the only way to find out if they are better is to try them.  He left while we were taking WR down so I didn't get a chance to pick any up, but will give them a try.

Lefty -- stainless steel.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
I have Dick's E-mail, I drop him a note and see when I can get a couple of sets soon. ;D

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »
Just got an email from good friend Big Iron Buster: He'll be at Mesa this Saturday 3-3 and Cowtown this Sunday 3-4. He'll also be shooting the 2 day match at Casa Grande (The Gathering of the Posses). March 9th thru the 11th. Look for Big Iron Buster, the nipples are $36.00 a set of 6. So, if anyone's down in sunny Arizona he be the man to talk to who has them right now. The nipples are made by the folks that make Slix Springs and other improvements for CAS.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
Guys, if you find that he has any sort of web access for these please let us east coast guys know.  Desperado did not seem to have any information listed on them yet.  If well done and work as well as described this would certainly be better than the Manhatten Conversions.  I really like the sound of being able to use what ever cap size happens to be available at any given place or time also.  No matter how many times you tell the gun store owners what caps you need, he still never remembers it at inventory restocking time!

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
Bob,
I am pretty sure they are made to take the Remington 10s and 11s. I don't know about CCI or RWS.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »
I will be shooting with Big Iron Buster ,at Cowtown on Sunday. Will post information Sunday Afternoon or Evening.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
Really appreciate that Lefty.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked: