Author Topic: What do I do for Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine repair?  (Read 6796 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What do I do for Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine repair?
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
My brand new (got it back in August) Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine's firing pin just broke with only it's 40th round passing through the bore.  I am infuriated right now.  :-[ For $1200 I shouldn't have any complaints.  I just walked in and found the firing pin had fallen out of the hole.

What kind of Warranty does Pedersoli have?   I am looking for my reciept and paperwork. I ordered it through a local dealer from Dixie Gun Works back in august.   I checked their website but they, of course, are over in Italy.

I probably could order the part from somewhere and figure out out to disassemble it myself...but I don't want to be doing that on a brand new gun

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: What do I do for Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine repair?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »
http://www.vtigunparts.com/ Shouldn't be much disassembly. If I remember correctly on the Pedersoli (and the original for that matter) it's just a matter of loosening a set screw.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:41:41 AM »
It looks like it could be pretty simple I agree.  Less trouble than sending the gun off, making sure they pay for it, waiting two months, etc. etc..  BUT, my only concern is if I start taking things apart....might that void any warranty on the gun?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:56:54 AM »

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:32:13 AM »
DANG.  $20 for a new pin.  I ordered two.  But good night nurse.  I hope these don't keep breaking ever 40 rounds...this can get expensive.

Offline Charles Isaac

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
No offense intended Sir, but I remember this post because it gave me a heluva chuckle. Who was it that said this? ;) 

I'd rather not get an original, I want a modern made gun that is new.  You get what you pay for.  I want something that can safely be used, is not abused, is safe and will last.

My trapdoors have all lasted over 130+ years! and I get on them pretty hard too. But in mainstream thinking, yeah, I am considered somewhat eccentric for running original guns, but that's how I choose to live it. Still, I know that Pedersoli is a good gun and it was probably a fluke that it broke so quickly.

Your dealer will have the paperwork for the gun because repro trapdoors are FFL items. I would call Dixie and explain to them because there is no logical reason for them not to send you a new firing pin if you send them the old one. Good luck with your rifle Sir.

DIXIE GUN WORKS INC.
Reelfoot Avenue - P.O.Box 130 - 38261 - UNION CITY, TN.

* Phone:  001 731 885 0561
    * fax:  001 731 885 0440
    * Email:  Info@dixiegunworks.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
I hope these don't keep breaking ever 40 rounds...this can get expensive.
If you do, there's something else wrong. I've never broke one on an original or either of my repros.

I'd say you just got (un)lucky and got a pin made with a flaw in the steel. It shouldn't happen but sometimes it does. I had the same thing happen with a new High point pistol on the extractor. When I got it out and looked at it you could see where the bubble was in the steel.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
I had the same thing happen with a new High point pistol on the extractor.

Let me guess, Col. Neiderlander was not consulted prior to your purchase of one of those! :D

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
Col. Neiderlander is our expert in destructive firearms testing!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
No offense intended Sir, but I remember this post because it gave me a heluva chuckle. Who was it that said this? ;) 

My trapdoors have all lasted over 130+ years! and I get on them pretty hard too. But in mainstream thinking, yeah, I am considered somewhat eccentric for running original guns, but that's how I choose to live it. Still, I know that Pedersoli is a good gun and it was probably a fluke that it broke so quickly.

Your dealer will have the paperwork for the gun because repro trapdoors are FFL items. I would call Dixie and explain to them because there is no logical reason for them not to send you a new firing pin if you send them the old one. Good luck with your rifle Sir.

DIXIE GUN WORKS INC.
Reelfoot Avenue - P.O.Box 130 - 38261 - UNION CITY, TN.

* Phone:  001 731 885 0561
    * fax:  001 731 885 0440
    * Email:  Info@dixiegunworks.com

LOL!! That is funny.   I already E mailed Dixie Gun Works last night with an inquiry. 

I also ordered two more from that parts website referenced...but I may just cancel that and see what Dixie Gun does. 

Pitspiter was right, it IS a simple job of taking it out.  Just twist a screw and the hammer, firing pin and hammer pin fall out into your hand.  I imagine this was designed intentionally so troopers in the field could fix it easy if this happened to them. 

Lucky I was to find the pin point sitting on the counter where I layed the gun after shooting it.   I actually glued the pin point back onto the firing pin last night using a combination of Gorilla Glue and Locktite super glue.   So far it's holding.  I just put a round into the gun, fired it and the glue is still holding.  Don't know how long that will last, but it's an good (if not interesting) temporary fix until a replacement can come in.

Glad to hear this isn't the norm.   (if it was, no wonder Custer lost).  I really like this gun and enjoyed shooting it yesterday.   Rapidly shooting and ejecting 20 rounds.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
I actually glued the pin point back onto the firing pin last night using a combination of Gorilla Glue and Locktite super glue.   So far it's holding.  I just put a round into the gun, fired it and the glue is still holding.  Don't know how long that will last, but it's an good (if not interesting) temporary fix until a replacement can come in.

That is the sprit! I like the cut of your jib. Never let a broken firing pin get in the way of fun.

Like others here I shoot several originals and they do quite well for me.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »
well...hehehe, that glue didn't last long.  Apparently that test shot I did earlier broke it.  I just went out to shoot a few and the first one misfired.  THe pin was already broken on the inside again.   Guess I'll have to wait a week until a new one can come in :(

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
You might try to solder it.  Probably wouldn't hold much longer, but you might get a few more shots!  How different is the Pedersoli pin from an original?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
could get a big enough nail, vise, hacksaw and file
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Trooper Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »
 ;D I enjoyed these postings!!  Don't think you have much to worry about as for it happening again very soon if at all. I have a very early carbine, three digit serial number, and short of the front sight being put on backwards, oh yeah, it went right back to be repaired or replaced, I've never had any trouble with mine, and it's had hundreds of my b/p service duplicate ammo in .45-55-405 fired through it. No breakage and no problems.
I hope you will enjoy your new toy as much as I have my own! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com