Author Topic: Uniform Question  (Read 2494 times)

Offline ConfederateNorth

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uniform Question
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:43:01 AM »
I'll start at the ground up here. It is my intention to get into cowboy action shooting. My intention was to build a persona inspired by my great-great grandfathers. All four on my dad's side served in the 64th Virginia Cavalry (two in Company A, two in Company G).
I've been looking through and seen one uniform in butternut, but wondered if there was any prohibition about eventually becoming a member of the GAF dressed as a Confederate Cavalryman.

It isn't my intention to offend anyone and offer my apology if I do but I am proud of my Southern Roots and would like to in some way, even up here in New Hampshire, pay homage to my family.
I saw this in a movie once, and I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Uniform Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
None at all - and if you're wondering what'll best fit your Impression, you'll find plenty of help.

My GG Uncle rode as a Captain with DeBray's 5th Independant Texas Cavalry.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:17:03 AM »
No problem with Confederate uniforms here! Most are more interested in being "period correct" than "politically correct"
There's lots of different options for uniforms of the South, too.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:17:22 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
One thing you may wish to look at in the uniform accoutrements is that unlike the concept of Confederate leather being all "russet" in color, at the beginning of the War, most holsters and belts were of Federal pattern, and black in color.  Some of the leather was captured from Federal arsenals or baggage trains. Only later, when the South was unable to obtain or manufacture black dyes did natural or oil-impregnated (stuffed russet) leather become the norm.  The choice is yours, regardless.

Welcome to our mess group.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline ConfederateNorth

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
Glad to hear! Really, I'm wondering whether to dress as an officer ( GG Grandpa Hobbs was a Captain) or enlisted ( GG Grandpa Reasor was a Private, dont have records yet on Smyth or Ely), or go with my old rank of Sargent....

Gotta pick just one, so as to keep the wife happy.

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_Virginia_Mounted_Infantry

Fascinating unit history!  Seems to be more associated with the Army on Tennessee rather than Army of Northern Virginia.  Depending on how specific, there is alot of generic stuff.  As noted above, alot of federal gear is good and black is perfectly acceptable.  As one studies this subject, you start to learn that the solders of the Army of Norther Virginia, the Army of Tennessee, and those in the Tran-Mississippi west were all VERY differently clothed from each other.  A good example is when Longstreet's Corp of the ANV joined the AOT for Chickamauga.  The AOT guys had been dressed heavily in butternut jackets and trousers, Longstreet's guys were wearing uniforms from the Richmond Depot that were made out of dark blue-gray wool (alot of in imported) and sky blue trousers (like federals).  There were several time during the campaign that both forces mistook this corps for federal soldiers.  During one encounter, General Grant rode along and found a soldier straggler by the road, he inquired as to which unit he belonged and the man replied "Longstreet's"  The surprised Grant just smiled and informed him he probably needed to locate his unit and rode back the other way!

What this sums up is that the idea of all Confederates in Butternut and Brown is not always accurate.

I would be curious under which Corps the 64th served and from which depot most of their uniforms and equipment came.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline ConfederateNorth

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »
I know that the 64th Virginia was assigned to Brigadier General John H Morgan during his raids into Kentucky. I have a few pictures of General Morgan, and a picture of a few of his men after they were  captured. Also among my paperwork is my great great gandfather's parole card.
As with all things, there's always more to learn. And it's made my choice of pistols clear. A set of Remingtons on my hips will look mighty fine!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com