Author Topic: Need help...Whcih class to shoot????  (Read 3244 times)

Offline rod locker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need help...Whcih class to shoot????
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
Not sure which class to sign up for as I will be doing my first match at the end of the month.  I am 53.  I have seen others shoot one pistol at a time using the free hand to cock the pistol.  Is this duelist?  What is double duelist?  Is the gunfighter both pistols drawn at the same time alternating pistols with each shot?  Been practising both ways for the heck of it.  I ahve read the handbook but I am still confused.  Can anyone help me please?

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need help...Whcih class to shoot????
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »
Not sure which class to sign up for as I will be doing my first match at the end of the month.  I am 53.  I have seen others shoot one pistol at a time using the free hand to cock the pistol.  Is this duelist?  What is double duelist?  Is the gunfighter both pistols drawn at the same time alternating pistols with each shot?  Been practising both ways for the heck of it.  I ahve read the handbook but I am still confused.  Can anyone help me please?

Duelist means you cock and fire with one hand, the other hand does not touch the pistol.  I double duelist you shoot one pistol with each hand, one at a time.  Gunfighter is as you described- if that's how you want to shoot your first match, sign up as a Gunfighter, otherwise, I recommend Cowboy- age doesn't matter & you can shoot any style except gunfighter.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
Howdy Rod and welcome!! First we have categories not classes. For you first match I suggest starting out as a 49er, this would be shooting two handed, cocking the hammer with the off hand. Unless of course you are comfortable and prefer to shoot one handed then sign up as Duelist. Or you can always shoot duelist styles at your pleasure under the 49er category. Double duelist is just a shooting style (not a category) often used by Duelist, GFer, and Classic Cowboy. I would not reccomend GFer untill you had shot several matches using the double duelist style. GFer and B-Western are the only categories where two loaded guns can be out at the same time.
Short answer, if you plan to shot two handed stay in one of the aged based categories ie. 49er.  If you plan to shoot duelist or double duelist, start with Duelist. Jus go slow, be safe, and have fun, Good Luck :)

"• “Duelist Style” is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired one handed, unsupported."

"Double Duelist Style” is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired one handed and unsupported, with each hand, that is, left gun with the left hand and right gun with the right hand.

AGE BASED
• Revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter..

DUELIST
• Only Duelist Style or Double Duelist Style may be used.

GUNFIGHTER
• Only Gunfighter Style or Double Duelist Style may be used.
• “Gunfighter Style” is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand.

FRONTIER CARTRIDGE
• Revolvers may be shot two handed or one handed (duelist style).

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL
• Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style.

“B” WESTERN
• Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters’ discretion.

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:10:29 AM »

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »
O.K. I read all of this and I'm still confused. What's the difference between double duelist and gunfighter?
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
The difference between shooting with both hands simultaneously vs serially.  GF draw both, shoot both.  Double dualist draw one shoot one, with other hand draw and shoot second, vs dualist where you can shoot both guns one handed using same hand.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:32:33 AM »
O.K. I read all of this and I'm still confused. What's the difference between double duelist and gunfighter?

shoot one gun in the left 5 rounds and then one in right 5 rounds, your choice of starting. L/R R/L, No assisting with off hand. Duelist is one handed but not nessacarly one in each hand. ...Gunfighter one in each hand alternating shots from one gun to the other.LR-LR-LR-LR-LR ot vice versus

Rod many clubs will restrict you from gunfighter till you have a match or two under your belt.  Then others won't.
Mathew 5.9

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
The distinction between double duelist and gunfighter is in the condition of the guns as they are brought to bare.  Only gunfighters may have two loaded pistols out of leather at the same time.  Duelists may have two guns in hand, but one of them must be empty before the other clears leather (or else a "P" is awarded for shooting out of category).

As to what you should shoot, I say if you have the dexterity to operate the pistol with one hand, do so.  You are very fortunate to have the ability to do this and you will grow better at it with practice.

As far as Gunfighter is concerned, most Gunfighters I've shot with served a long apprenticeship as a Duelist before moving to the Gunfighter category.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com