Author Topic: Punitive expedition uniform question  (Read 12209 times)

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Punitive expedition uniform question
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
I will say one thing about the Red Wings, other than I am surprised to see them again...as for awhile they had stopped this style. MANY moons ago, when I first started doing WW2and Civil War, there was no 50th Anniversary of WW2 nor a Saving Private What's His Name...thus there were no WW2 repros yet (except for a few German items).  These Red Wings were the only thing close to US boots unless you found real ones in your size (good luck).  I will tell you, you will get $300 worth of wear and tear out of them, that is for sure!  I hated when mine died (I wore them for everything) and at the time I couldn't replace them!

Chris Fischer
F-Troop

No argument on the Red Wing quality, I've had a few pairs I wore to the point of total collapse! Chippewas fall in the same category, timeless quality and style, made in America.
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Red Wings has on their website, everal different styles listed as "Heritage line" or something like that. The style in question is said to date back to 1911, still made the same way-no fabric, foam padding, etc. Without all that extra bulk, my leggins actually fit well over them!

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
Tom Mattimore makes a boot that you are looking for.  They are $220.00 a pair and he uses Quarter Master US Gvt Lasts to make the boots.  I have a pair and they are great.  He's on Face Book if you want to contact him.  I tried uploading pictures but can not do so from my computer.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:24:25 AM »

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
Tom Mattimore makes a boot that you are looking for.  They are $220.00 a pair and he uses Quarter Master US Gvt Lasts to make the boots.  I have a pair and they are great.  He's on Face Book if you want to contact him.  I tried uploading pictures but can not do so from my computer.

Link to Tom's website:

http://www.civilwarboots.com/war_boots.asp
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Offline tmattimore

• the guru of shoe
  • Citizen
  • Black elephant, white kid w/eagle & blue max inlay
    • Mattimore Harness
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 06:47:41 AM »
This is the boot known as the 1905,etc. I found the QMD spec # for it, it is #599 dated 27 Feb 1903 so I quess it is really a m1903. I am making these for a museum from a QMD Drawing dated 1906. They are not on the website until after 1 Jan. This boot was about 50 years ahead of its time. Its offical name is Marching shoe/toe cap/round vamp/ high quarter

"The most important item of a soldiers equipment is a knapsack so that he may carry an extra pair of shoes and half soles"
Sir Arthur Wellsley, Duke of Wellingtom

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 06:57:08 AM »
Those look really good!  I bought a pair of Red Wing steel toe work boots off of e-Bay that look virtually identical to these.  I use them for my 1914 Marine Captain uniform.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
And once again Tom M. makes my day!  ;D  He made me a M1833 forage cap way back in the day!  Very happy with his work.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline tmattimore

• the guru of shoe
  • Citizen
  • Black elephant, white kid w/eagle & blue max inlay
    • Mattimore Harness
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
This is what is most commonly called the 1904 russet marching shoe. It was first issued in 1898 in black as a dress shoe. Issued in 1904 in both black and russet and modified in 1912 for the munson last.
"The most important item of a soldiers equipment is a knapsack so that he may carry an extra pair of shoes and half soles"
Sir Arthur Wellsley, Duke of Wellingtom

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
Tom,

YOU ROCK!

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer