Author Topic: "Coffee Dye" - some questions and advice?  (Read 6967 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Coffee Dye" - some questions and advice?
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
O.K. - I've got the "vinegaroon" down - now have some questions as I move on to "Coffee Dye".

My questions are:

1.  Is there a better way than doing it this way?

2.  Does there need to be an "additive" to the solution to help the dye "set" in the leatheer or to keep it from spoilong over time (i.e. - if stored in a container will strange things grow?)   ;D

3.  Which is better - soaking the leather in the solution or applying it to the leather with a swab?

4.  What is a good "follow-up" to using this dye after the leather is dry?  i.e. - leather conditioner, virgin olive oil, paste wax, etc.)

I'm assuming the longer you let the leather soak or the more coats you give, the darker it will get.  Suggestions (if soaking) on lengtj pf time to leave it in for a medium brown and a dark brown.

I know thaqt each piece of leather "dyes" differently - the same as with wood taking stain differently.  If a holster is made out of one hide and the belt is made from another  - can they be "matched" fairly easily?

Thanks for any comments, advice, etc. -- greatly appreciated. 

I'm starting to want to use more "natural dyes" - has anyone experimented with dyes made from boiling up pecan shell husks?  We have a large pecan orchard a mile away and I think I can easily get some crushed shells/hulls - are they worth fooling with?

Thanks!

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: "Coffee Dye" - some questions and advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
First on the pecans. I think that pecans have been tried before, and that the color was very strong. Look up a post or two by Ace Lungger. I think he had made some from pecans.

I just boil my coffee for an hour or so for a few days, then pour it into a jug and add a little bit of alcohol to inhibit growth. Mine is still fairly liquid in form, and is not concentrated much. It sometimes take several dunkings to get anything near medium to dark brown.

The way I use it is I dip my holster in the dye for a bit, then pull it out and let it dry. When its almost the color I think I will want then I oil with EVO. Most of the time I am just using it to antique my items, so I dont mind dunking it again and again to get an older appearance.
As far as followup, I oil it, Lexol, and then Skidmores or whatever your top finish of choice is.

Not only will each piece of leather take dye differently, each batch of dye may be different too in my experience. 
Tryi it, and experiment with some scrab bin projects.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »
Thanks Dalton - I greatly appreciate the info.  I thought I had remembered reading a post on this forum about and additive for the coffee to keep it from growing things - I'll add what you suggested.  I guess it's like anything else - just dive in and give it a try.  I'll experiment some and then when I get something made and dyed with the coffee, I'll post a photo of the results. 

The next time I get over to the pecan grove office, I'll get some pecan hulls and give them a try as well.  I have my bench in the garage here in AZ where we spend the winter.  God bless my dear wife for putting up with my shenagins like making vinegaroon and such.  Somehow though, I think I'll be boiling these new concoctions on the propane grill in the back yard.

Again, many thanks!   :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:50:38 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
This is a paste from a reply I did to another post .... but it just might help the situation with your wife if the dye was sored in a cheap crock pot in your garage ....LOL

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

Re: Left Coast Source for Walnut Powder
« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:00:12 pm »

But I got to thinking about the idea of how iron or steel pots can give a greyish color to brown dyes like walnut and I got this idea ... ceramic container ... able to boil for long times unconcerned sounds like a crock pot to me ...

So I went down to my SalvationArmy Thrift Store and bought two two gallon crockpots, some candles and a candleholder for just under $26.00 ... I thihk they were bought for an office party and never thoroughly cleaned or ever used again .. so after thourough cleaning (Easy Off is now my friend!), They are now heating up two gallons each of water ... and this way i have 1.) dedicated crockpots to use for leather working, and 2.) Something I can use anywere there is a plug.

HINT: Salvation Army may have a no refund policy in your area (it did in mine).
*************************** BE SURE TO HEAT THE CROCKPOTS UP AT THE STORE BEFPORE YOU BUY THEM !!!!!!******
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
What a super idea!  We've got some resale shops around here so I'll keep the corck pots on my "want list" when I stop in.  I'd ask my wife if I could use our crock pot . . . but I know what the answer would be!   ;D :o  A 2 gallon one would allow you to submerge the whole holster or a gun belt (loosely coiled) and you could "cook" it in the dye as long as you needed to.  It makes sense to me!  Thanks!   :)

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »
I made some more walnut dye the other night and just for the helluvit, I filled up a coffee maker filter with coffee and threw that into the mix. Came out great. Will be making a holster soon with it and I'll post pics.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
A small piece of advice onthsat coffee dye........................Let it cool off before you soak your belt in it. Ask me how i know this.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 03:41:00 AM »
How do you know that Bugscuffle ??? :)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »
A small piece of advice onthsat coffee dye........................Let it cool off before you soak your belt in it. Ask me how i know this.

I'm right there with you, pard!
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
'cause my belt came out lookin' like a cooked egg noodle and was 8" too short!!!

How do you know that Bugscuffle ??? :)
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
LOL  ;D been there done that  ;D
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
I was lucky, I tried it on a piece of scrap, yeah, it do shrivel up leather a tad!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
Thanks Bugs - without knowing it, you've saved me some heartache in regards to cooling the coffee dye and not doing it while it's hot . . . .  :) ;D :o ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com