Author Topic: What Tang sight to get  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Nevada Mark

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Tang sight to get
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I have a Marlin Cowboy 1895 (47/70) and a Cowboy 1894 (45lc) and looking at a 1860 Henry (Uberti) in 45 lc. I want to put a tang sight on one or all for the long shots - shooting between 25 and 100 yards. I have been looking at both the Marble and Lyman tang sight  ::). Not sure which way to go -- Looking for some good input on the diffrence and experiance of some shooters. Let me have the good and the bad to help me make a choice.
Thanks for any help
Nevada Mark
Aim Small - Miss Small = A Ture Statement

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 409
Re: What Tang sight to get
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
I have a bunch of the Lyman #2.  The Marbles has the added feature of a windage adjustment.  Generally for up to 100 yards I have never had to make a windage adjustment after the sights are well settled in. If wind is a problem in your area, I'd opt for the marbles.  I use a windage adjustible sight on my Browning 86 SRC and have fired it out to over 400 yards with good effect.

For firearms with a dovetail front sight use a drift to set the windage at the front.  Once the windage is set, use the rear screw adjustment for elevation.  I found that a 75 yard zero keeps the bullet within a couple of inches of the sight line most of the way, but down a bit at 100, but manageable.

My Uberti 1866 carbine has a fixed foresight.  The Marbles weren't available then, so I made shims from pistol brass.  The case walls are tapered so a slice sawed off of a .38 Spl case gives a modest taper, and 9mm cases give a bit steeper taper. Flatten the slice & drill it out for the sight mounting screws and slip them between the sight and the tang & orient them to tip the sight staff in the desire direction to correct windage.  A bit of a fuss, but it worked.

Like for many other questions, the answer is "it depends!"
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Nevada Mark

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:55:50 AM »
Sir Charles,
    Thanks for your input - lots of good info to ponder -- was hoping more shooters would chime in  ??? -- maybe this weekend
Aim Small - Miss Small = A Ture Statement

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:26:57 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
Marble will give you windage adjustment, prolly not really required at CAS pistol caliber rifle ranges, and cost a bit more.
Lyman basically the marble without windage.

Either will work just fine
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com