Author Topic: Vintage Hunting with the 1873  (Read 321614 times)

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vintage Hunting with the 1873
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2013, 12:07:50 AM »
That is sad information for the person who wants to buy loaded B.P. ammunition.  But I can understand their position.  44-40 is not as common as 45colt or 44mag.  Then on top of that someone wanting 44-40 in B.P. is even less.  I am glad I can still buy Swiss and Goex, and can find Winchester large pistol primers so I can put together what I need.   I think the writing is on the wall.   There are less hunters every year.  In the 1980's in Minnesota we had 480,000 upland bird hunters in the fields.  Last year was under 80,000 hunters for upland bird.  The numbers are not there.  As hunters drop in numbers, so will revenue for these companies.  Shooting sports like sporting clays, cas and sass have all help give shooting sports a shot in the arm so to speak.  But more needs to be done to get younger people involved in maintaining the shooting ranges, educating shooters and non-shooters.  It is hard to expect these companies to produce products that are not making them a profit.  Things can change, but it takes putting forward a good image to the non-shooting crowd.  And us shooters supporting the companies the manufacture the supplies we use for our sport, whether that is hunting or target.  I know I enjoy hunting and I like vintage firearms, but just how may hunters are looking to buy B.P. loaded hunting ammunition and how many rounds a year would one hunter buy?

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2013, 07:57:31 AM »
Howdy
What's the new guy going to do for black powder ammo . After the explosion Black Dawge is gone . Sadly with them out of the picture , the Vintage Hunting ammo is done before it started . I have made a few calls and they say we are to small . They are wanting a larger crowd . Oh well , just go hunting and have a good time and remember how much fun you had with our obsolete weapons and ammo .

It is very unfortunate that their son was injured in a reloading accident that he is still recovering from. Understandably, that was a good reason to dispense with the ammunition portion of their product line.  

Thankfully, there are presently two other sources for 44-40 b.p.  ammo....
Buffalo Arms offers .44-40 b.p. ammunition loaded with Swiss powder but it seems like it is not in stock most of the time.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/44_40_Black_Powder_Ammunition_it-158172.aspx?CAT=4438

Ten-X has 44-40 ammunition (44-40 BPC) that uses 777,  a substitute b.p.
http://www.tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Direct_Pricing_06152013.pdf

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
I was not aware that anyone was hurt in the accident.  My post sounded cold and based on profits,  I apologize and pray for their sons speedy recovery.     Thank you for the added information.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 09:47:52 AM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
Howdy
Today I drove to my shooting spot . I fired a few rounds through my 45 colt pistol  then I got my 73 out . I had ammo loaded with unique and some loaded with T7 . The unique was a load that will work for hunting season if I need a smokeless round . The T7 will work if I run out of Black Powder . The T7 load has a good thump to it when you squeeze the trigger . Who's ready for Deer season ???

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
Who's ready for Deer season Huh

Buddy, you aint the only one.

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »
The time is fast approaching, and I feel I'm already behind as compared to last year.  It is hard to fit all the fun stuff into the schedule.   Hope to see some great photos of the hunts this year and of the camp sites.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »
I'll be using my original 1873 44-40 (made in 1887) for deer hunting this fall. The season is not until the 2nd week in November. I've settled on a load and will be practicing offhand shooting between now and then. Hope to be able to post photos of the old '73 and a nice Whitetail.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
Kirk
Can't wait to see those pictures . Good luck and Happy Hunting .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
Howdy
Has everyone got there rifle ready for Deer season ? I had a opportunity to check my rifles out with my Hunting ammo . My ole favorite rifle was spot on BUT my backup rifle needed some sight adjusting and my trigger was way to heavy . Hope to take it back out and try it again , maybe today .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
Howdy
I changed the sights on my short rifle . I went with a marbles front sight with a gold bead and the rear sight was a ole Winchester rear sight . The trigger was way to HEAVY so I back the screw out about a turn and a half . Now I need to go shoot and put the final touch on my sights . 

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
Rowdy,  Good to hear your all geared up for hunting.  I have a question about the screw you turned 1.5 turns to effect trigger pull.  I'm not sure if I understand which screw?  Is your back up rifle a different model, or are they both 1873's?  Hope I'm not sounding dumb, but I keep thinking in my head and can only think of the hammer spring, which will also effect the speed or fall rate of the hammer.  True it may have and effect on pressure needed to lift the trigger off the shear notch in the hammer.  Just trying to understand, and not attempting to be disrespectful. 

Happy Hunting
D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
Rowdy, I ran some 200 grain speer hollowpoints/and some 255 cast lead through it and it shot spot on with either load.  I don't plan on tinkering with her one iota.  

Good huinting!

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
D
Both rifles are 1873's in 44wcf . The screw I'm referring to is under the lever . It keeps tension on the main spring .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
Howdy
After work I went to our hunting shack . Did a little grass mowing . Always like to keep an eye on things . Muzzle Loading season is almost here . Rifle season kicks off the second Saturday in November , my rifle is ready . I can't wait .

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2013, 09:09:37 PM »
Been out archery hunting and upland bird.  Staying clear of an area I am saving for rifle season and am ready with the 44-40 black powder loads.  We will see how they perform if I get the chance to take a shot with the rifle and cartridge.  I've been waiting all summer for Nov. 9th   Wishing everyone great luck with their hunting and looking forward to some photos.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
D
We are all excited about Gun season . I plan on hunting with my 73 in 44wcf . I have a load worked out using BP and a smokeless load from years past . But my real interest this year is to use the BP load . I sit here chewing on a piece of Deer jerky and thinking about the oncoming Hunt . We always pray for good weather  and sometimes we get good weather and sometimes it RAINS and RAINS .  How many hunters are using 44wcf ? are you using smokeless or BP ??

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
I am using BP.  The load is 35.2 gr of Swiss 2fg.   with a 200gr 43-215c at .430" diameter.  50:1 lead:tin  at 1290fps.   We will see how this performs if I can connect.   Last season with the 44-40 and smokeless (A2400) I harvested a nice six point.  Complete pass through double lung and it just dropped straight down.   I am all amped up for the rifle season.   Trying to get all my chores under control so they will not interfere with hunting.

Happy hunting,
D-hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
D
This coming weekend muzzle loading season comes in . We will hunt and camp for the weekend . And do our scouting for Rifle season . JD has the cooking , so we will eat good . After hunting all day will spend time sitting around the fire probably burning marsh mellows , and having a nip of Whiskey . Good friends ,good Hunting and GOOD FOOD what else could we ask for ?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
Rowdy,  have a great time, have fun and stay safe.   Who is JD?   What state do you hunt in?   I hunt in Minnesota,  half way between Duluth and St. Paul.   Along the St. Croix river.   I have hunted in the arrow head region, and near the north west angle.  Only thing we need in MN. is Mountains.   But you can't have everything.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
D
I am a Kentuckian . I Hunt on a Farm in Webster County good deer hunting there . JD is my Father in Law .  We have been Hunting together since  1989 , that was the year I got out of Service . I shot a coyote today with my Muzzle Loader , can't wait for Rifle season to come in . Just weeks away . Who's ready ???
                 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com