Author Topic: Vintage Hunting with the 1873  (Read 258579 times)

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
Re: Vintage Hunting with the 1873
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:28 pm »
The time is fast approaching, and I feel I'm already behind as compared to last year.  It is hard to fit all the fun stuff into the schedule.   Hope to see some great photos of the hunts this year and of the camp sites.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:56 pm »
I'll be using my original 1873 44-40 (made in 1887) for deer hunting this fall. The season is not until the 2nd week in November. I've settled on a load and will be practicing offhand shooting between now and then. Hope to be able to post photos of the old '73 and a nice Whitetail.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:46 pm »
Kirk
Can't wait to see those pictures . Good luck and Happy Hunting .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2013, 10:50:56 am »
Howdy
Has everyone got there rifle ready for Deer season ? I had a opportunity to check my rifles out with my Hunting ammo . My ole favorite rifle was spot on BUT my backup rifle needed some sight adjusting and my trigger was way to heavy . Hope to take it back out and try it again , maybe today .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »
Howdy
I changed the sights on my short rifle . I went with a marbles front sight with a gold bead and the rear sight was a ole Winchester rear sight . The trigger was way to HEAVY so I back the screw out about a turn and a half . Now I need to go shoot and put the final touch on my sights . 

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2013, 08:21:09 pm »
Rowdy,  Good to hear your all geared up for hunting.  I have a question about the screw you turned 1.5 turns to effect trigger pull.  I'm not sure if I understand which screw?  Is your back up rifle a different model, or are they both 1873's?  Hope I'm not sounding dumb, but I keep thinking in my head and can only think of the hammer spring, which will also effect the speed or fall rate of the hammer.  True it may have and effect on pressure needed to lift the trigger off the shear notch in the hammer.  Just trying to understand, and not attempting to be disrespectful. 

Happy Hunting
D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:25 pm »
Rowdy, I ran some 200 grain speer hollowpoints/and some 255 cast lead through it and it shot spot on with either load.  I don't plan on tinkering with her one iota.  

Good huinting!

Mean Bob
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:06:49 pm by Mean Bob Mean »
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »
D
Both rifles are 1873's in 44wcf . The screw I'm referring to is under the lever . It keeps tension on the main spring .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:52 pm »
Howdy
After work I went to our hunting shack . Did a little grass mowing . Always like to keep an eye on things . Muzzle Loading season is almost here . Rifle season kicks off the second Saturday in November , my rifle is ready . I can't wait .

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
Been out archery hunting and upland bird.  Staying clear of an area I am saving for rifle season and am ready with the 44-40 black powder loads.  We will see how they perform if I get the chance to take a shot with the rifle and cartridge.  I've been waiting all summer for Nov. 9th   Wishing everyone great luck with their hunting and looking forward to some photos.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2013, 12:09:20 pm »
D
We are all excited about Gun season . I plan on hunting with my 73 in 44wcf . I have a load worked out using BP and a smokeless load from years past . But my real interest this year is to use the BP load . I sit here chewing on a piece of Deer jerky and thinking about the oncoming Hunt . We always pray for good weather  and sometimes we get good weather and sometimes it RAINS and RAINS .  How many hunters are using 44wcf ? are you using smokeless or BP ??

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2013, 06:56:35 pm »
I am using BP.  The load is 35.2 gr of Swiss 2fg.   with a 200gr 43-215c at .430" diameter.  50:1 lead:tin  at 1290fps.   We will see how this performs if I can connect.   Last season with the 44-40 and smokeless (A2400) I harvested a nice six point.  Complete pass through double lung and it just dropped straight down.   I am all amped up for the rifle season.   Trying to get all my chores under control so they will not interfere with hunting.

Happy hunting,
D-hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »
D
This coming weekend muzzle loading season comes in . We will hunt and camp for the weekend . And do our scouting for Rifle season . JD has the cooking , so we will eat good . After hunting all day will spend time sitting around the fire probably burning marsh mellows , and having a nip of Whiskey . Good friends ,good Hunting and GOOD FOOD what else could we ask for ?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:43 pm »
Rowdy,  have a great time, have fun and stay safe.   Who is JD?   What state do you hunt in?   I hunt in Minnesota,  half way between Duluth and St. Paul.   Along the St. Croix river.   I have hunted in the arrow head region, and near the north west angle.  Only thing we need in MN. is Mountains.   But you can't have everything.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2013, 05:05:30 pm »
D
I am a Kentuckian . I Hunt on a Farm in Webster County good deer hunting there . JD is my Father in Law .  We have been Hunting together since  1989 , that was the year I got out of Service . I shot a coyote today with my Muzzle Loader , can't wait for Rifle season to come in . Just weeks away . Who's ready ???
                 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2013, 06:30:17 pm »
Well, I'm getting excited as well to bring home the venison with my 1889 vintage Model 1873. I've got my load, and this ol' '73 is a natural at offhand shooting at 100 yards. It's the heavy barrel and the tang sight. Only three more weeks until I get to head out into the bush with this beauty!

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2013, 10:36:46 pm »
Hey Rowdy, congrats to you on your coyote.  It is nice to spend time in the woods. 

KirkD,  Hope to see some photos of your 1973 and your harvest for the deer season.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »
Howdy Boys
Got a chance to fire a few rounds this morning . The Rifle is doing it part , I just have to do my part . I have a box of ammo loaded with Swiss Powder . This was ammo that was being tested for Powder Inc . after the Explosion they discontinued the Black Dawge line . But I have ammo for Deer season . Plan on smoking me a BIG Buck with my 1873 . There's supposed to be a Black Panther in those bottoms , I ain't seen it our even a track . But I sure hope I do . I think his hide would look Great laying in front of my fire place . Hope the camp cook has a good recipe for panther .

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:48 am »
Rowdy, I sure hope you get that Black Panther. A rug would look superb with a full mounted head. Can't say I'd be looking forward to chowing down on panther meat, though. Two weeks from today I'll be sitting in the bush with my '73 looking to fill my tag. Hope you get that big buck.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2013, 04:02:18 pm »
Howdy Boys
Got a chance to fire a few rounds this morning . The Rifle is doing it part , I just have to do my part . I have a box of ammo loaded with Swiss Powder . This was ammo that was being tested for Powder Inc . after the Explosion they discontinued the Black Dawge line . But I have ammo for Deer season . Plan on smoking me a BIG Buck with my 1873 . There's supposed to be a Black Panther in those bottoms , I ain't seen it our even a track . But I sure hope I do . I think his hide would look Great laying in front of my fire place . Hope the camp cook has a good recipe for panther .

Jack O'Connor said that Cougar tasted like veal.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
Speaking of panthers......
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »
Interesting story from Tom Dalton - posted on the SASS Wire back on 3/29/04..........

Just thought I would pass this experience on to all you folks. My Pa runs a Scottish Highland cattle ranch. Its small but he does OK. Well here in the Pacific northwest in Washington state we gots a few mountain lions and one of em got a hankerin after one of our 8 month old hiefers and took after during the night. Tore her poor little throat out and then left.

Cougars like to let their kill ripen a bit before they eat it. Well I wasn't too pleased so I took my Pa's Uberti made 73 in 44-40 and waited near the carcass in the field with my little brother. Sure enough the cougar came to feast and I plugged it with a 44-40 right in the chest. Penetration was clean through the vitals and came out right under her tail and clipped the end off on the way out. She bounced around for about 3 or 4 seconds and fell over dead. I tanned the hide and salvaged the skull and teeth.

The cartridge was handloaded  200 gr RNFP Orgeon Trail laser cast bullet at about 1,200 f.p.s.     Tom D

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »
Thanks for the neat story John.

D-Hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »
W44wcf
Thanks for the story . Hows the Olde Enysford powder doing ? I have a few rounds of 44wcf loaded with Swiss . That will carry me through Deer season . I hope to Kill a nice Buck , a medium sized Doe , a couple coyotes . And a big black cat . Now that's my plan .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2013, 06:04:21 pm »
I'm getting ready to load up some Old E. Will report back after I've had time to test it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2013, 10:34:39 pm »
Cliff
Will you take your 44wcf Deer hunting ? And do you plan to use BP ? I plan on shooting tomorrow , always like to practice as much as possible . I practice from close shots to out to 120 yards . In the woods I very seldom get a shot over 50 yards . I like hunting close , BUT you better have your crap together . And when you THINK you have them figured out they will prove you WRONG .