Author Topic: Black powder fouling in 30" Highwall(45-70)...  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Button

• Active citizen
  • THE MOUSTACHE IS REAL.
    • Ottawa Valley Marauders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Black powder fouling in 30" Highwall(45-70)...
« on: September 03, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Howdy all.
I have just hit a "Eureka" smokeless load, but I CANNOT duplicate or even approximate it with FFF.
See attached svp. 15 shots @ 200 yds, 500 gr bullet. I will straighten out the windage next trip to range.
One big problem is... how can I keep the bore from fouling out during a match when using The One True Powder?
There isn't enough room for a lube cookie + powder + 500 gr boolit.
I have just fashioned a blow-tube, but can't imagine that would provide enough moisture to keep the fouling moist.
Those fancy bullets with huge lube grooves are not an option at this point, thank's anyway Dick  ;)
I'll go over & post this in Darksiders Den as well.
DEEDS  SPEAK

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Black powder fouling in 30" Highwall(45-70)...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:11:25 PM »
Totally clueless in this area, but what about sticking a lube cookie in ahead of the round.  Similar to smearing lube over the ball in CB pistolas

All ya all in the know please let me know if this is a dumb suggestion.  Trying both to solve probems (its a guy thing) and learn.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
You would be surprised what you can do with a blow tube.  Rather than build one, if you are shooting a fairly common calibre, phone up Montana Vintage Arms and get one from them.  10 dollars plus shipping and they are very high quality. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:51:48 PM »

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
So your 500 grain bullet doesn't have any lube grooves?

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
3/8 inch or 20mm outside diameter plastic tubing will work as a blow tube for the .45-70.
You can get fancy and cut out the base of a cartridge and run the tube into the case.
Over all length of 17 to 18 inches worked best for me.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:09 PM »
Thinking you meant 10mm.  Is the drill something like this?  Put Case in vise.  Drill out primer hole to 3/8 inch.  Force tube in maybe with a little adhesive and be off to the races.

I was thinking about sticking a 1/4 x 28 black powder cleaning tube and fitting into a cartridge case, but maybe the really narrow diameter tube and fitting will not allow enough air.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »
how can I keep the bore from fouling out during a match when using The One True Powder? . . .

I have just fashioned a blow-tube, but can't imagine that would provide enough moisture to keep the fouling moist.
Those fancy bullets with huge lube grooves are not an option at this point . . .
A blow tube will do wonderful things you don't think they can do. Depending on the temp and humidity, anywhere from 2 to five deep breaths (be very careful not to "inhale" with your mouth wrapped around the tube between breaths) will inject an adequate amount of moisture into the chamber and barrel. You can't keep the bore from "fouling out" without adequate lubrication on or behind the bullet - you need enough lube to carry out to the end of the barrel so that it leaves a "star" on the end of the barrel (at the same locations as the grooves of the barrel).

Not sure what "fancy bullets with huge lube grooves are not an option at this point" means for sure, but I will assume you are talking of cost of pre-lubed bullets. You can buy un-lubed bullets and can make your own lube with a lot less dollar outlay. Pan lube them or just rub lube into the grooves. Another option would be to shoot paper patched bullets -  but that can be another big dollar outlay and time consuming learning curve.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
No I mean 20mm, it fits into the case very nicely and can be used with out the case, but you may want to use a case so the tube does not protrude onto the barrel.
The brass is a pain to drill out by hand.
A large tube allows a good amount of air and a low number of breaths.

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »
The ouside diameter of the barrel would be around 20mm.

To get yourself started get a Lyman mould that matches the twist rate.  The Brownings may not be meant for the big heavies (500 grains and up).  Check it for yourself, I don't know what it would be.  You will need a 1 in 16" twist for those.  Lube your bullets with SPG - why use anything else.  For the 10 bucks, buy a blow tube.  The MVA ones are easy to get, the right length, and will prevent moisture in the chamber (and consequently streched and separated cases).   

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:57:23 PM »
The 10 bucks to MVA is probably the smart move - but...
It has been a while since anyone accused me of being smart.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
A couple of thoughts here...

1.  From your shown target, obviously the bullet you are using shoots FINE in your rifle.

2.  Have you experienced bad BP Fouling in your rifle?  You pose the question but don't state you've experienced the problem.

3.  I'm assuming your bullets have Grease Grooves in them?  Use a BP Lube, SPG or similar.

4.  Yes, a Blow Tube will help...LOTS!  Use 4 breaths between each shot.

5.  While some shoot 3Fg in your cartridge, I'd start by using 2Fg, probably ~61.0g to start with. 

6.  Forget using a Grease Cookie, you need all the room you can get for powder.
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com