Author Topic: New Vaquero Hammer replacement options?  (Read 14732 times)

Offline kev93

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Vaquero Hammer replacement options?
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »
Hi Everyone.   I just bought a new 357 Stainless steel Vaquero. I like it except the hammer. I would like a drop in replacement hammer bur have also noticed brownells sells a trigger kit. Any suggestions?   Thanks

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: New Vaquero Hammer replacement options?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »
Put in a K-Super Blackhawk hammer maybe.
Wider & lower?

You want it to be SASS legal, or just more comfortable to cock?

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline kev93

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
The stock hammer hits my hand in the cocked position. I was looking at brownells.com at their trigger kit. Are they any good?  Or is Power custom better?   Thanks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:26:24 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
Well, I'm out of the USA right now and cannot access either of those web sites to look them over (blocked).  
But if the stock Vaquero hammer fits you, I'd leave it alone probably.  
If you want LIGHTER hammer draw, you can swap main springs for lighter effort cocking.
Wolff makes them in 15# to 17#, I recollect.  
The stock ones run around 23#.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »
I bought a pair this spring, and at first the hammer almost touching the web of my hand bothered me too.

After a while I realized that it was not actually touching my hand, just real close. The part that bothered me was imaginary.

Your hand might be bigger than mine, so it might be a real problem real for you... I'm just saying if you haven't tried it already, try it for a while first.

Rick

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
If you want a lighter trigger pull without messing with the gun permanently, try unhooking the righthand leg of the trigger return spring. To keep it from rubbing the mainspring you may need to bend a slight dogleg in it. Not much, just enough to clear the mainspring coils.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »
Howdy Kev.

My rugers are the old Model but I can tell you what I like.   I've tried both the super black hawk hammers and the power custom ones.     Initially, I had a set of power custom (the kits Brownells sells)  They can be installed by you.  The kits come with 3 main springs of different weights and a trigger spring.   The thing I like about the power custom ones is they have a half cock notch.  You'll have to get a transfer bar (well maybe not for the new models) so you can open the loading gate at half cock.   The biggest thing I like about them is if you have a slip hammer during shooting (hammer slips off your thumb before engaging the trigger sear, and goes foreward without firing, you have to recock to shoot again, the cylender advances, so) you have to go around the horn to get to the last round.  Really a pain in the neck.  With the Power custom the hammer stops at the half cock notch and you can recock without the cylender advancing to the next round.

Last year I put a set of super blackhawk hammers on the gun.  Wider spur and lower profile.  Worked really well as I have some authritis in my left thumb.  Really liked the lower profile.  BUT found I was slip hammering 1 in 4 stages.  Maybe I should try to slow down.  So I put the power custom kits back on.  I like both, all depends on what you want.

for realibility (my own shooting grip and preferences) I like the power custom
For comfort and ease , I like the super black hawks but didnt develop a skill set while shooting to prevent slip hammering.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline kev93

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:19:14 PM »
 The power customs are colt style correct?  I really don't like the look of the hammer on my gun.

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
Close enough...........  I 've gotten to the humorous point of revering to my rugers as cougers.......(Rugers that think they are colts)  I've put in the power custom hammers/triggers, colt style center pin, and a cresent ejector housing.  Keep in mind they are old model and I like them as they fit my big clumsy hands better than the colts I have.  I don't have a set of new vaquero's nor have I shot them.  I do have friends that do and they really like them as is.  Lots of comments about Ruger got this one right.

Here's what mine looks like
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »
One other simple and cheap option is to simply drop in the hammer from an "old" Vaquero.  The spur is much shorter.  Davidson's even offered the New Vaquero with the Vaquero hammer for a while.  They called it their fast draw model.  Lots of people have standard Vaquero hammers in their parts drawers.  If you post an ad, you might pick some up cheap.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »
I like the lower hammer on my Montado but cannot remember whether the Montado uses the Bisley hammer, the Super Blackhawk hammer or is a separate design of its own. Anybody know? I'd like to put one on some of my other Vaqueros.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
The Montado and Super Blackhawk Hammers are the same profile.  The only difference is one is serrated and one is checkered. 

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
I guess you could say I went "retro" with my New Vaqueros.  I replaced the hammers with ones from the original Vaquero.  I like the profile and the way they feel better than the new ones.

Jake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com